Has anyone tried Hexagon Revisited - Create Models & Money

petefpetef Posts: 47
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Looking at ways to get a bit more out of Hexagon and saw Hexagon Revisited - Create Models & Money by Dreamlight, has anyone tried these as at £64 its a considered purchase at this time, the Dinosaur/Tab and face training dosent inspire me much but the car tut and daz stuff look quite good.

Thanks for your time.

Pete

Comments

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

Does Dreamlight actually have a car model for sale in the DAZ store? nuf said.

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Hi FirstBastion,

Actually I didn't think about that well spotted ;-), he has a lot of training content and buildings / scenes in the store,
    there is the VTC Hexagon training also its for Hex 2 but should still have use though at £52 again is it money wasted, hmm more pondering.

Cheer

Pete
    www.creatingastorm.com

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited February 2015

petef said:
    Hi FirstBastion,

Actually I didn't think about that well spotted ;-), he has a lot of training content and buildings / scenes in the store,
    there is the VTC Hexagon training also its for Hex 2 but should still have use though at £52 again is it money wasted, hmm more pondering.

Cheer

Pete
    www.creatingastorm.com

I like a lot of Dreamlight's products, but I wouldn't recommend the Hexagon one unless it is on a major sale. Waldemar only does the first couple videos, most of them are actually by Jason White from 2 create HB and he knows the program pretty well (Waldemar is more of a Lightwave guy). but the car part is only the last four videos out of 35 or so videos and it isn't even a complete car model, just the front half and the tires. Most of the rest is really basic stuff.

The VTC training on the other hand is outstanding and if you are looking for a great introduction to Hexagon, I'd grab it - it goes through all the tools in Hexagon and gives examples of how they work and what you might use them for. On the downside, it is just an overview of all the tools and the examples are pretty basic, but once you know what everything does you can really follow tutorials for any modeling program - the basics are the same.

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited December 1969

"Geek at play" hexagon tutorials offer plenty of info to teach what you need to know to use Hexagon successfully.

They're on youtube and they're free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z69Kanh5HfE

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys for the fast response, think I'll go through the Geek at play ones first, I'm not a newbie to modelling
    but anything that can speed up the learning is a benefit.

Pete

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

petef said:
    Thanks guys for the fast response, think I'll go through the Geek at play ones first, I'm not a newbie to modelling
    but anything that can speed up the learning is a benefit.

Pete

If you're not new to modelling then definitely skip the Dreamlight one!

I forgot about the Geek At Play ones - I have them bookmarked but only watched a couple so far and thought they were pretty great.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

I thought it seemed ok, at least to get started. I really haven't gotten very far into it though.

If I have a quibble it's that I don't like it when the person -- any person -- doing the video will move the mouse quickly to something and say "right?" Or the person will perform a new function and then quickly say "Right?". As the beginner-consumer of the knowledge I will by definition be a few seconds behind what is going on and it can take me some time to "catch up"... by then the tutorial has more often than not moved on to something even newer right?

Also, squiggly text on-screen can be hard to follow... better to slow down (right?) and maybe refresh the screen to a Powerpoint slide say, and then the narrator can say something like "So these are the three main things to watch out for: Point One, Point Two, and Point Three, bla bla bla" only it would be proper large font size TEXT on the screen, not squiggly handwriting.

Generally, except for the above points the video quality of the tutorials seems to be very good. For me the files seem to play better on a large 1920 x 1080 cinema screen as opposed to a smart phone or smaller laptop screen. I often watch them on the road on my Thinkpad but a larger screen seems better.

Anyway that's my short opinion, thanks for reading etc.

IIRC isn't there is a forum on Waldemar's pages devoted to Hex? I haven't been on it because I don't have the URL handy.

Roman, Toronto

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Error Message: Your message field is empty

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2015

I have not seen the DreamLight tutorial so cannot comment on it. I would recommend the GeekAtPlay tutorials, especially the ones by Gary Miller.

Also check out Danny's "Hexagon Basics Tutorials", 26 shorts which explain most of Hexagon's tools and how they are used -

http://www.cgdreams.co.uk/hexagon.html

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

I have not seen the DreamLight tutorial so cannot comment on it. I would recommend the GeekAtPlay tutorials, especially the ones by Gary Miller.

Also check out Danny's "Hexagon Basics Tutorials", 26 shorts which explain most of Hexagon's tools and how they are used -

http://www.cgdreams.co.uk/hexagon.html

Can only second what John said.
    Danny's Tut's are a must. ;)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited June 2015

Hi Ken :)

For some reason the tutorials at CG Dreams are not working, I found them elsewhere -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-xZNYYv20&list=PL595BF1A1310CC20F

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • NewYorkKnightNewYorkKnight Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Hey. I bought it while on sale , i don't remember how much, but it was a damn good price. The tutorials can be very informative to a new beginner. The only problem is that I downloaded Daz 4.8 not a week before i got it , so the bridge to export from daz is too low :lol: I can export from hexagon though, So hopefully after a while the bridge from daz will catch up again. Anyway if i had to give a star rating to the tutorials , It would be a solid 3. I'll bump that up to a 4 if i manage to make something to sell. 5 if it actually does.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Hey. I bought it while on sale , i don't remember how much, but it was a damn good price. The tutorials can be very informative to a new beginner. The only problem is that I downloaded Daz 4.8 not a week before i got it , so the bridge to export from daz is too low :lol: I can export from hexagon though, So hopefully after a while the bridge from daz will catch up again. Anyway if i had to give a star rating to the tutorials , It would be a solid 3. I'll bump that up to a 4 if i manage to make something to sell. 5 if it actually does.

? what do you mean the bridge is too low?
    One can export out of D/S to any of a variety of settings.

The bridge to Hexagon is meant to be used when also using the bridge to bring the same item back over to D/S as one might do for morphing.