Can the Install Manager Downloads folder be safely moved?

areg5areg5 Posts: 617
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Running out of space on my hard drive. I was thinking of copying the install manager downloads file and moving it to an external hard drive. Then I was going to delete the contents of the download folder. Will doing this cause any smart content problems in Daz Studio?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,864
    edited December 1969

No, though if you delete the downloaded zips and their .dsx files you won't get update notifications (or rather, everything will show as ready to download). You can change the download location within DIM's preferences. You can also change the location of the thumbnails and the.dsx files for installed content by editing the .ini file if desired, those take up much less space..

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,063
    edited December 1969

areg5 said:
    Running out of space on my hard drive. I was thinking of copying the install manager downloads file and moving it to an external hard drive. Then I was going to delete the contents of the download folder. Will doing this cause any smart content problems in Daz Studio?

Suggestion -
    1) Shut down DIM (if running)
    2) Move the whole download directory to the external drive
    3) Start DIM
    4) Click on the gear icon, top right
    5) Click on Download tab
    6) Point DIM to the new location of the download directory
    7) Click 'accept'

Now DIM knows where all the downloads are and will put all new items and updates there in the future. Just make sure the external drive is attached whenever you run DIM.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify, once you install something with DIM, you don't have to leave the downloaded file in the Downloads folder for DIM to know that it has been installed and be able to notify you about updates.