G8F Limping Poses

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,149
edited June 2022 in Freebies

User 'Comixfana' asked if there were any Limping Poses around. Must admit, for the life of me, I couldn't think of ever seeing any. So, finding myself unable to stomach anything on TV over the weekend, I set to play.

One of the most difficult things about a limp is to identify what makes it so identifiable - not as easy as you might imagine. I have a dodgy knee, after a motorcycle accident many years ago, and it occasionally plays up, and I limp a fair bit from that. So, I limped up and down our dining room dozens of times, and I think I identified the unique characteristics of a limping walk. The walker moves the dodgy foot forward, puts the bare minimum of weight on it, then the sound leg and arms are used to semi-hop the body forward in a short pace so the dodgy limb takes the minimum weight, and then starts again. It's only in that hop that the limper seems to actively demonstrate their limp, otherwise they just look as if they're putting most weight on one leg as everyone does at some point. Well, that's how I limp with my dodgy knee, and I may not be representative of everyone. 

So, having got (I think) the key parts of a limp, I made a 5 pose step cycle (with mirrors) that represents this. I hope you find them to be adequate for the rare occasion that your digital heroine gets injured (hopefully never).

Regards, 

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,283

None of those immediately read as limping to me. Limping is fundamentally a movement, so it would be pretty tough to capture in a still pose. Maybe shifting the weight more clearly onto the good leg would sell it a little better.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,149

In some ways I agree. It is a movement and needs to be seen in that light. But.. 

• I didn't want to make it an over-exaggarated caricature just to be blindingly obvious.
    • It's pretty close to how I limp. Not sure how anyone else does.
    • I did a lot of limping practice to get into my head quite how someone limps. No. How I limp, and as I said, I was surprised over how small a part of the pace the limp specific movements occur.
    • The character's CG is over the left foot in all these poses, to go further would make them fall to the left (mirror poses reversed). The camera angle possibly hides that more than it should.
    • It's not for sale & in some ways it makes no odds to me whether anyone downloads it. It's nice to believe people are enjoying using my work, but I don't want to change it into something I wouldn't be happy with just to promote downloads. It may be the main reason why I have nothing for sale anywhere.frown.

If I can think of better more smack-around-the-face blindingly obvious poses over time, I will add them. Or.. if anyone else can do other poses based on how they limp or see someone limp, then the more the merrier. I would love to see other poses and learn.

Regards,

Richard.

• perlkperlk Posts: 847

I think these are great, actually. Thanks for sharing them!

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,034

Thank you Richard :-)

• BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381

I like 'em too.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

I think you might be saying "limping" but probably want something more exaggerated like a foot dragging.

Now there's a thought. Model a walking stick and have poses using that.

Doh. Why didn't I think of that myself? Have a family connection to the people who designed the first NHS telescopic extruded aluminium walking sticks.. Ho hum.

Regards,

Richard.

Watched a video about the days of prohibition -- apparently a gentleman's walking stick was hollow and the handle the um, top. :-)

Well, I suppose it is less hazardous than a sword...

Regards,

Richard.

Possibly depends how purified the contents were. Many went blind on the stuff.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

Walking sticks would carry a whole array of different devices from built-in booze containers, knives/rapiers to telescopes and compasses. Here's a video that shows a few *cough* examples.

I had forgotten about shooting sticks. That might be an interesting thing to try modelling. I have never tried weight maps, and the fabric seat between the two handles is the perfect thing to try with a weight map. I will wait until I have had a really bad day, when I can't be made any more frustrated anyway, because the first time is bound to be an extremely frustrating experience.

Regards,

Richard.

edited July 2022

I would like to offer a story accompanied by a freebie. Or you could see reading the story as a penance... So here's the story. What's surprising is that it's basically true.

In the late 1950's or early 1960's, the lead engineer at Decca in the UK invented the concept of, and built, the first aircraft flight data recorder/ cockpit voice recorder - an idea that was patented. When the Decca family were deaf to his suggestions that he should become a board member having made them a fortune, he left. He joined with a financier to buy a walking stick manufacturer called 'Coopers'. Coopers was a small and mismanaged firm hemorrhaging money, and likely to go bankrupt if nothing happened urgently. The lead engineer, my Uncle by marriage, needed to create a product that could be sold, and fast.

The new owners of 'Coopers' realized that the NHS was putting out a major contract for walking sticks and crutches. Up until then, they had been made from wood, were heavy and cumbersome. My Uncle invented and patented the use of lightweight telescopic aluminium tubes with moulded plastic fittings for such equipment. My Aunt, being a Physiotherapist, worked out shapes that were less harmful to the body than the wooden type, and my young cousins tested the prototypes. The contract was won, and my Uncle's family stopped staring the very real prospect of bankruptcy in the eye and slowly became quite comfortably off. After my Uncle died of his third heart attack, my Aunt was forced to sever her connection with Coopers, but they remain fond of the company.

The first version of the telescopic aluminium tube walking stick was very, very similar to this freebie..

This freebie consists of a walking stick, a couple of wearable presets, and a pose (with mirror) of G8F using the walking stick. The walking stick has a length morph, but the brass detent pins don't move with the length.

I do hope that you will find it useful.

Regards

Richard.

Walking Stick Promo.png
    800 x 800 - 339K
    zip
    zip
    Walking Stick.zip
    1M
  • WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 210

Thank you for the poses and the walking stick, they look real usefull

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,471

That is a very nice looking and useful cane.

I do hope that they are useful. I know they don't have wide application, but maybe just once in a while. At some point it may be an idea to do a little walker and some crutches in a similar style. Once I have come back from my holiday. Regards, Richard.
    edited July 2022

Well now with those ladies dashing about fighting dragons and whatnot in far away places, heels have not been found to be the best choice of footwear ;-)

Come to Mars They Said - It will be Fun They Said.png
    2550 x 2488 - 7M
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. That's great Catherine. Regards, Richard.

Thank you :-)

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Looks great!

edited July 2022

I threatened to offer a crutch. So here it is: 

The crutch comes with two wearable presets, to fit them to left and right hands. There is a pose and mirror. The crutch has two morphs, the upper and lower sections, can be lengthened in 1cm increments. The top of the arm support can rotate through 90 degrees. There is a problem with the arm support that I don't know how to fix. If the top morph is non-zero, the arm support pivot drifts away from where it should be. To cure, reset the top morph to zero.

Anyway, I hope you find the crutches useful. 

Regards, 

Richard 

Telescopic Crutch Ad.png
    800 x 800 - 386K
    zip
    zip
    Telescopic Crutch.zip
    2M

Thank you again :-)

btw - the telescoping part comes in very handy for the various terrains ;-)

Agreed. It means that you don't have to be quite so accurate in your posing and still get the end onto the ground. Regards, Richard.

... esp. if wearing heels ;-) Through the sand, dirt, etc. You know, if the guys would actually wear a pair of high heels and try walking on natural turf -- they would very quickly discover the wisdom of such footwear for action figures welding swords and knives ... and would likely wish to replace their skimpwear [which they should be wearing along with those high heels in the sand, water and dirt] with more practical clothing to offset the number of cuts, scraps and bruises that will result when they fall down and go boom twisting their ankles.

I have been against skimpwear (at least for me, so as not to terrify poor dumb animals) since having the unfortunate experience of taking my parents-in-law to a naturist camp. I saw what sins against aesthetics are hidden by clothing. Never again! Regards, Richard.

I took in a kennel raised dog many dogs ago, and yes, they can be quite um, concerned, when they first see people "changing their skins."

2 types of cloth can also be problematic ... "white" and "black" ... white can become transparent under the right lights and black can be seen through by the right cameras.

My first thoughts on the in-laws to that camp were that probably was a great photo opportunity for facial expressions not listed on the Parameters Tab! Allegedly there was a camp like that somewhere in the woods near Stittsville -- but nobody ever ventured in to check out the rumours.

• WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 210
    edited July 2022

Thank you for the crutches, It will make a great prop if I have the need for it.

As for body shapes, I visit the sauna frequently and you got a very good idea on what natural body shapes look like.
    90% of the models in the Daz store represent about 5% of the population in body shapes. We need a lot more mom and dad bods in the store.

I must say that since I started using Daz it is quite a source of inspiration to go there :D

Post edited by Websoul on

Congrats! Product is featured in today's e-Newsletter :-)

• NathNath Posts: 2,732

Thanks for the freebies!

Congrats! Product is featured in today's e-Newsletter :-)

You've got to be kidding. Well, blow me down with a feather. 'Ridiculous' is all I can say.