Trying to align leaves with pre-existing UV map

RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
edited July 2022 in Hexagon Discussion

I have this mesh aligned with a background UV map image. I try to export the map but no matter what I do, it rearranges the mesh when making a UV Map  in the UV  window. This is even if the mesh is united as a single oblect. There is no integrity at all as to where the mesh is placed. They are even in many cases distorted.

What  I wonder is if there is a way to load the same image into the UV Map window  instead so that I can align the meshes with the actual UV map?

Post edited by Rakuda on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

I know how to do this in Carrara, make the UV image the diffuse colour ( or use the diffuse map if it matches)  and work in textured view selecting and moving your islands around but don't know if that works in Hexagon 

just posting in case it does

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2022

On the material window you have a Texture Image box, browse for the image there, then tick the Texture box in the UVmap window.

Edit - You also have to tick the Flip Vertically box in the material tab. Hope this helps :)

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited July 2022

Absolutely Smashing! Thanks for the clue @WeeDangerousJohn

fixed_leaves.JPG
    1420 x 863 - 116K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • In your art package you may have to give it a feather edge, one or two pixels. So the texture is slightly bigger than the map, you sometimes see the background colour on the edge.

Glad I was able to help :)

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited July 2022

The alpha mask that I had worked pretty well. I don't see much in the way of issues with the edges. Now, I just need to work on the geometry and give the stems a little tweak, put a little curvature on the leaves and maybe fold a bit at the center, but the map itself works great.

Been too long since I dropped into this Hexagon Discussion!

Thanks again!

leaves.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 401K
    Post edited by Rakuda on