Any chance of seeing NEW characters for G3? G2?

13»

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

Matt_Castle said:

shadowhawk1 said:

It's just a shame that the PA's would rather ignore a group of artists and customers that either choose or are forced to use older figures as an additional revenue stream instead of ignoring to concentrate only on new figures. 

While I wouldn't want to deride, belittle or disrespect anyone in this situation, people who are forced to use older versions of DS or older figures likely have to do so because they are still using older hardware, which does not suggest that they are a market with a large amount of disposable income.

Those that choose to use the older figures - well, there may be a number of reasons to do so, but almost all of them put them in a part of the Venn diagram where they don't overlap with the much larger market looking for the newest and most up-to-date figures.

This is not really an additional revenue stream as you put it, but an alternative one, which is problematic as vendors have a finite limit to how fast they can create content.

I think at this point in time, the only major reason a vendor would still want to specifically target the older figures is because they personally want to.

Well said and on point!

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

And without actually trying to see if an item will sell, you are basically assuming it won't. 

Oso3D said:

If I have a choice between selling 20 copies of something or 200 copies of something, why would I pick 20?

'The art of it!' Well, sure, at least some of us PAs do this work in part because we love it. But even from that standpoint, I'd rather reach 200 people than 20 with my art.
    'Money!' This one is obvious. Putting 50 hours into something that sells 20 copies is not a great idea if I could put the same 50 hours into something that sells 200.

I totally get how frustrating someone's situation may be, but suggesting that PAs are somehow in error or being mean is... weird.

Says the company that is still selling V3 and V4 items...  

Richard Haseltine said:

shadowhawk1 said:

It's just a shame that the PA's would rather ignore a group of artists and customers that either choose or are forced to use older figures as an additional revenue stream instead of ignoring to concentrate only on new figures. 

The PAs, at least those doing this full-time, need to concentrate principally on what sells in sufficient numbers to justify the time taken.

G8 was not enough of an update for me to stop using all the content I ahve already purchased for G3. If daz actually made a reliable script/program for converting clothing/footwear/poses/morphs this wouldn't be an issue. I used to spend $100+ a month here and would continue to do so as I am sure many other would as well if we could convert some of the great outfits from G8 to other character platforms. 

Matt_Castle said:

shadowhawk1 said:

While I wouldn't want to deride, belittle or disrespect anyone in this situation, people who are forced to use older versions of DS or older figures likely have to do so because they are still using older hardware, which does not suggest that they are a market with a large amount of disposable income.

Those that choose to use the older figures - well, there may be a number of reasons to do so, but almost all of them put them in a part of the Venn diagram where they don't overlap with the much larger market looking for the newest and most up-to-date figures.

This is not really an additional revenue stream as you put it, but an alternative one, which is problematic as vendors have a finite limit to how fast they can create content.

I think at this point in time, the only major reason a vendor would still want to specifically target the older figures is because they personally want to.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256

shadowhawk1 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

shadowhawk1 said:

The PAs, at least those doing this full-time, need to concentrate principally on what sells in sufficient numbers to justify the time taken.

Some of us just use V4 as V4 and G8 as G8....

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121

shadowhawk1 said:

Still selling items for V3 and V4 that were released when V3 and V4 were the current figures, so...what's your point?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited May 2022

Lets get the convo back on a/the topic and not directed at each other.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,515

nemesis10 said:

Some of us just use V4 as V4 and G8 as G8....

Agreed! yes

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Vendors, and Daz, look at numbers and past results when making decisions. 
    While there is necessarily some supposition at work because these issues aren't simple, this gives the most founded analysis of the market.

Add to this that if a vendor miscalculates, they are the one missing a house payment as a result.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,333
    edited May 2022

shadowhawk1 said:

And without actually trying to see if an item will sell, you are basically assuming it won't.

To clear up what seems to be a common misconception, it's been made clear in previous discussions that vendors absolutely do have sales data to see how the sales of their last generation's content has dropped off.

Most may not specifically have experimented with "here's how a new release for Genesis 2 or 3 would do in 2022" (although a very few vendors have), but they can compare how their G8 back content (and G8 content, while being mostly up-to-date with the current generation, can be pretty old) compares to their G7 back content.

As much as we, as customers, may be frustrated with what actually makes it to the store, we are making far grander assumptions about what would be popular in the absence of having actual sales statistics. (Particularly as the forum has repeatedly shown that what customers claim to want often turns into "No, not like that" when a vendor actually brings out something matching that description).

shadowhawk1 said:

G8 was not enough of an update for me to stop using all the content I ahve already purchased for G3. If daz actually made a reliable script/program for converting clothing/footwear/poses/morphs this wouldn't be an issue.

There are have been (mostly) reliable converters for transferring G7 clothes (although less so footwear), poses and morphs to G8 for quite some time, and G8 uses almost exactly the same UVs as its G3 counterparts, so skins aren't much of an issue either.

While it would be nice if this was fully integrated and automated into DS as a standard feature, these things can also be done manually with tools that are in the program by default.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited May 2022

shadowhawk1 said:

G8 was not enough of an update for me to stop using all the content I ahve already purchased for G3. If daz actually made a reliable script/program for converting clothing/footwear/poses/morphs this wouldn't be an issue. I used to spend $100+ a month here and would continue to do so as I am sure many other would as well if we could convert some of the great outfits from G8 to other character platforms. 

..and now we have 8.1 which to the best of my knowledge does not work with the available 8  3 conversion scripts.  More and more characters, clothing, and hair is exclusively being released for 8.1 as well.  This and dForce have been two marketing concepts that have severely limited my purchases due to having older yet very solid and reliable hardware. 

@ Matt_Castle.  I've been seeing more and more G8 content in Fastgrabs for a while now as well as heavily marked down during sales.  Some Featured PA stores in sales have only contained G8 content even though the PA also created content for earlier generations. I actually would not be surprised to see G8 items on the freebies page in the store soon (and not "Daz Soon").

That said as I do create custom characters and skins for both G2 and G3 (again I have an extensive library of vendor resources for both), I thought about putting content for G3 but have no idea of how to go about becoming a PA and also don't have software like ZBrush to sculpt new morphs. Clothing and hair is a different kettle of fish as my modelling skills are pretty basic and the one programme I do understand (for clothing) is too pricey for my budget to justify the cost (also not into subscription software that requires being online while working).

The one advantage I do have is I'm retired so no day job to worry about and making big sales isn't really all that important to me as I have a  pension income.

Even if I decided to jump into this most likely I'd have to approach a different vendor than here. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • zombiewhackerzombiewhacker Posts: 670

Wondering if anyone here picked up Deepsea's Adam and Eve HD characters a while back, and if so, which generation version do you use?

https://www.daz3d.com/deepsea-adam-hd-for-genesis-through-genesis-8

https://www.daz3d.com/deepsea-eve-hd-for-genesis-through-genesis-8