Downloading Options

I got a new computer and installed Daz Studio into it. Since I made a lot of new modles, poses, objects, etc., I thought I could just copy the Daz 3D file from the old computer's Document folder into the new one. Nope, that didn't work in a LOT of cases. I now have Daz Central for downloading but I have to click each and every button for each file. I have somewhere over 2000, maybe 3000 files. That's WAY too many to click one at a time. Is there a way in Daz Central to tell it just to download all?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192

In what way did it not work to copy things over? For Install Manager or Daz Central to see installed content you need the Manifests folder from the old machine; for the database-driven views (everything except the ... Formats containers in the Content Library, and not the Daz Connect container within those) you need the database from the old machine or to reimport the metadata (having exported the userdata on the old machine if you want your own files to be shown in those views).

• wildbillnashwildbillnash Posts: 676

Thanks for getting back. First, I did a little digging and found an older post saying you can't select all in Daz Central because it doesn't have one. I did see your response with the link for DAZ IM. 

I tired to start using IM but my new computer keeps going to sleep after a while of downloading and halting the project. I'm going to have to talk to tech support about that.|

I'm not following much of what you asked. What I did was transfer the DAZ 3D folder from the Documents folder. I thought there might be more I need to transfer but I don't know what and where to find them. Is there a post in the permanent posting in Daz Studio Discussion that covers this?

How did you isntall on the old system, and were you using default locations or had you customised them?

Years ago when it was Daz 4.10, I just downloaded the program and install it normally. I used the default locations. Since then I used IM to download anything I purchased.

I installed the program into my new computer in its default locations as well.

I purchased a few items from 3rd party sites that I knew IM wouldn't be able to get. That's why I was trying to transfer the files. I also made several new figures using the Face Transfer add-on, as well made custom ones using the, rats...I forgot the name. It's the add-on for changing the facial features.

OK, then you need to copy the content directories across, and the manifests folder so Install manager knows what it installed - by default those are in folders in the Public documents folder, on the C: drive, clearly labelled for Daz Install Manager.

You also probably want the old database, which you can copy acoss as long as nothing is using it (Daz Studio, any Daz installers, and Carrara all closed) - by default it is in

%AppData%/daz 3d/cms/

which you can paste into a file explorer window's address bar.

I should have mentioned the new computer has Windows 11. It seems the folders are different from Windows 10. For instance, the first part of your post mentioned moving into the Public document folder. In my case that's Public/Public Documents. The second part of the post you mentioned moving a folder, %AppData%/daz 3d/cms/, Out of curiosity I have it already in the new computer at C:Users/wildb/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms. So, does that mean I already have it?

Yes, you already have a database - but that shows what you have been doing/instaling on this machine. If you have any chnages (fils saved etc.) that you want to keep you need to export metadata (Content Library option menu, the lined/hamburger button or right-click the tab, select Content DB Maintenance, then check Export user data) before replacing the existing database with the old one, then use the same dialogue to Reimport Metadata. You can also do the export metadata on the old machine, copy the modified /Runtime/Support folder from the old machien to the new, and then Reimport Metadta there. Copying the database over will preserve groups (e.g. New) and Connect installs.

edited May 2022

Hamburger button? Can I get cheese and bacon on it, and cut the pickles please.

I'm going to need to read your last post a few times to understand what you mean. I'll let you know if I have a problem

Oh, in case it's important, I''m using a external hard drive to transfer the files from one computer to another.

Thanks for the help.

Post edited by wildbillnash on
    edited May 2022

Okay, I'm still trying to comprehend what you stated, but something else came up I wanted to address before going any further. My new computer's C drive is 1 TB in size. The files I"ve moved so far is over 382 GB. With what's left needing to move I think it will come close to fill the drive. My O drive is 6 TB in size. Could I use that drive instead of the C drive? What would you suggest?

I just noticed not all of my products I purchased has been downloaded/transfered yet. That will even increase the size of used space in my C drive. BTW, the new computer doesn't have Poser and I don't plan to use it. But it seems the downloads will include it, even though I used the filter to not download Poser files. And I already have a large collection of Poser files in the folders I've already transferred. Is there a way to get rid of them, or do I still need them? I'm assuming the file names ending with Ps are Poser files.

Thanks again for any help you can give.

I would suggest using a drive other than C: - though internal drives are potentially much faster than external, especially if left in their default format. Aside from space it means that if need be you can reinstall the OS without disturbing your content (for the same reason I'd move the dataabse off the C: drive)

edited May 2022

My O drive is an internal drive, so there won't be a problem there. I'm not following you about reinstalling the OS. I was just thinking about moving everything to my internal O drive. Could I install Daz Studio onto my O drive, and move the files there and it will work?

Rats, I hate getting old. It's not my O drive, it's my D drive. I need better glasses.

Oh, by the way, Daz IM says I still have over 2100 downloads needed to be done.

I meant that if somethign forces you to reinstall Windows you will, at best, need to rescue some things from the Windows.old folder and, if it needs to reformat the drive, you may lose them completely and have to reinstall. better to have C; be system and application files (though some will use a second drive for applications) and use another drive for data, including content.

Thanks for getting back. Your suggesting to keep the Daz program, along with DC and DIM on the C drive, right? Could I move the larger collection of files to my D drive, like what's in my Documents folder? Also, which other folders could I move to the D drive? Then there is the problem to get DIM to install new files into the D drive, as well as getting DAZ to look for items in the D drive.

Or am I overtthinking things?

try to keep everything I can off the C: drive, but that is easier to do from the outset (if you find the Docuemnts, Pictures, adn so on folders in your profile folder on C: you can right-click on them>Properties, then use the Location tab to move them - most applications, including DS for save files, will resepct that without your needing to do anything).

Thank you, Richard, for the feedback. But I did have another question about Poser I mentioned earlier. This new computer doesn't have Poser on it, but the DIM seems to want to still download them. I went to the filter and unchecked Poser and a few other download options. But I still have a lot of file names with Ps or PS at the end waiting to be downloaded. Do I need them?

Also, is there a way to get rid of the Poser files that I don't need that's been downloaded over the years? I could save 100 gigs that way.

edited May 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

try to keep everything I can off the C: drive, but that is easier to do from the outset (if you find the Docuemnts, Pictures, adn so on folders in your profile folder on C: you can right-click on them>Properties, then use the Location tab to move them - most applications, including DS for save files, will resepct that without your needing to do anything).

I tried to move the Documents folder like you said to my D drive but it's prohibited. Something about it not being allowed. I tried the properties for the DAZ folder and I don't get a location option,it's a different screen that pops up. What did I do wrong?

The first image below shows I don't have an option to move. And the highlighted address can't be changed.

The other image shows what I get when I click on properties for the DAZ folder in Documents.

The third image is what I get when I try to move the Document folder.

Screenshot (1).png
    1920 x 1080 - 191K
    Screenshot (2).png
    1920 x 1080 - 211K
    Screenshot (3).png
    1920 x 1080 - 193K

Some content uses the Poser files for Daz Studio with, at most, some materials files (almost certainly 3Delight).

Only the special folders - Documents, Pictures etc. - have the Location tab.

edited May 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Some content uses the Poser files for Daz Studio with, at most, some materials files (almost certainly 3Delight).

Only the special folders - Documents, Pictures etc. - have the Location tab.

But, as I mentioned before, they won't move.  umm, wait a minute. I just reread the pop up box in pic 3 and realized I misread it. I'm going to try again. 

Okay, over 358 GB of files are in the C:users/public/public documents. Those won't move. It's the first image I posted earlier. The pic below is about trying to move the Documents folder and I don't understand what it's talking about. Can you give me a clue. Other times I get a error saying it can't be move for some reason and it has something to do with One-Drive.

Screenshot (5).png
    1920 x 1080 - 195K

You can move your Documents etc. folders, not the equivalent Public folders - there you will have to change the settings in DIM (and in DS for the content directory).

edited May 2022

The Documents folder seems to be connect to One-Drive. I can't get it to move. Also, it only has 25 gigs of info in it while the Public Documents folder had over 358. If I could move the C:\Documents folder to D:\Documents, with it also change what's in the Public Documents folder, or will it continue have over 358 GB in it?

The pic shows what I'm getting whenever I try to move the folder...

Screenshot (6).png
    1920 x 1080 - 180K

OneDrive is a pain, that Microsoft really wants you to buy a subscription for. The modified paths when it is allowed to run has caused a lot of issues for users (and of course the free version would be overwhelmed by the volume of data in no time flat).

Public Documents and the user documents folder are entirely separate - you would need to move the My Daz 3D Library to the D: drive yourself, and update paths in Daz Studio and DIM (there are a couple of scripts that will transfer the settings from one to the other, which helps keep them synched - http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#directory_mapping ).

I just looked at the link you gave me and it's above my paygrade. I have no idea what to do with it.

I was wondering about something else. Could I start over by uninstalling Daz and DIM and installing them onto D drive? Then I transfer the files like before from one computer to the next?

To use the script just pick one (the one that goes from the tool you have set the driectories in to the one you want to make match), download using the link above the block of code, and drag into the Daz Studio Viewport.

Uninstalling and reinstalling won't touch settings.

Ummm...I'm not a programmer. I have no idea what to do here. I wonder if I could uninstall one-drive instead.

edited May 2022

You don't need to be a programmer, the script is already written. Just download the one you want (e.g. if you set the paths in Install manager then you want the one that goes from Install manager to Daz Studio), download the script file, and drag it into the DS Viewport - DS will then add the dirctories you set in Install Manager to its own list.

There's no need to disable OneDrive, unless you want to, just don't use that location for your content.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited May 2022

I had to turn off the connection with OneDrive because the computer kept sending files to it without asking me if I wanted it to.

As for the script thing, I still not sure how to do it. I don't know what I want from it. Is there a video on YouTube that covers it?

BTW, i noticed in Daz, Content library tab, I have two My Daz 3D Library links. Each is to different locations. One to C:\Daz 3D\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library and the other to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, which is the largest of the two. Not sure which one I should keep or how to get rid of one of them.

The first is from Daz Central, the second from Install Manager - but the second to be isntalled should have respected the settings already made by the first, unless you went in and changed/reset them.

I decided to see what happens when I downloaded everything. Now I have only 200 gigs left on my 1 TB harddrive. This time around I was able to filter out the Poser files and ended up with less files to download, but ended up using more memory. I really don't know what's going on. I think there may be a copy of a folder somewhere that shouldn't be there. I have one folder at C:\Daz 3D with 292 GB used and one at C:\program files\users\public documents with two Daz folders with 358 GB used. Is the first one the extra folder I don't need?

You shoukldn't have a Users folder in Program Files, it should be in the root C: drive.