Suggestion: Joint Corrective Bones

Greetings all, I would like to suggest adding Joint Corrective Bones to the genesis 8 figures or even the next gen figures that peform the same function as the Joint corrective morphs (JCM). To expand on it further, maybe it would be best to have model variations, one where the base figures use corrective bones and another that uses the origional corrective morphs.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738

You really need to explain what you mean - Daz Studio already gives the means to adjust bone centres and orientation to account for changed shapes.

• U6537-48U6537-48 Posts: 13
    edited May 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

You really need to explain what you mean - Daz Studio already gives the means to adjust bone centres and orientation to account for changed shapes.

Adding additiional bones to the already existing rig thats has the same vertices controled by the JCM's weighted to the newly added bones. So instead of the elbows/knee joint vertex  (and etcetera) corrections being corrected by morph's/ sliders, it's instead handeled by the added bones.

Post edited by U6537-48 on

I'm not sure how that wouild work, let alone whether it would be an improvement.

• U6537-48U6537-48 Posts: 13

Richard Haseltine said:

I'm not sure how that wouild work, let alone whether it would be an improvement.

I have some rigging / weighting experience, though I'm far from being a professional so I'm not going to claim to be an expert here, but basically you add the bones and parent them to their respective locations, for example you'd add the knee corrector bone and parent it to the thigh bone. Then weight the vertices you want it to correct, then set the bones up to correct the mesh as the knee/shin bone rotates / bends.

The befits of a bone means you have far less morphs that need to be loaded, combined with the turbo loader utility you mentioned you may even be able to reduce the number of morphs to a bare minimum or 0 per figure (ofc that depends on what the individual in question needs), greatly increasing figure load times, scene load times, animation previews. In turn this makes the product easier and less time consuming to use which then makes it more appealing to beginners and experienced users alike.

Bones would facilitate faster and more efficient editing in general, if say someone doesn't like the way a corrector is working, then the users would simply need to adjust the bone rotation which would then adjust the mesh. When it comes to morphs if there's something you don't like about it then that means you need to spend a few hours in a sculpting program to achieve your desired result. Not everyone, especially those new Daz studio or programs like it are able to drop a lot of money on sculpting programs to fix it themselves or even have the skills to do it in the first place which means they are SOL. 

Furthermore if someone decides to use a Daz figure in another program whether it be XPS, blender, unreal engine, source, unity, you don't need to worry about carrying the correcting morphs over just the rig, bone's and the weights.

Well, if you want to make a formal feature request - including the long-version explanation - then the route to take is a Technical Support ticket https://www.daz3d.com/help . Discussing things on the forum is a good (I hope) way to clarify the details of your request, and to get feedback.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2022

While the idea sounds great especially for figures, the feedback I received is it makes it very hard to rig clothing, especially at the standards required for the store.

Post edited by Mada on
  • ARealitiARealiti Posts: 135
    edited October 2023

A must have for games engine exports.

Post edited by ARealiti on