Dynamic clothing sadness

LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I finally have moved up to Studio4 and Genesis and Genesis2 characters. Studio4 is now my primary app. Not just an experimental playground.

I have finally actually tried to use my few Genesis dynamic clothing articles, only to remember why I disliked DAZ Dynamic Clothing. It's clumsy, I get arms, legs and shoes sticking through the articles. And changing textures is more complicated than I am comfortable with.

Is there a good free tutorial about the dynamic cloth features and problems?

Comments

• barberoybarberoy Posts: 98
    edited December 1969

I learned by watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNqUYOW6Z8

SimonWM has a helpful thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40199/

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited December 1969

Thank you! :-)

edited January 2015

Another great tip I picked up is to export the finished draped item of clothing as an .obj. When you import it back into daz you can then use deformers to fix any poke-through.

Post edited by barberoy on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,294
    edited December 1969

barberoy said:
    Another great tip I picked up is to export the finished draped item of clothing as an .obj. When you import it back into daz you can then use deformers to fix any poke-through.

Do you do get the same ability after freezing the simulation? (which in effect turns the clothing into a fixed obj)

edited December 1969

I've never used freeze simulation, I think you'd only use it for animation. It freeze's each frame as a morph. For still images, exporting as an .obj and than importing it again seems the simplest method.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Havos said:
    barberoy said:

Do you do get the same ability after freezing the simulation? (which in effect turns the clothing into a fixed obj)
    Yes indeed, once you have Frozen it you can use a Dformer on it to correct poke-through.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

Why not just add a smoothing modifier? I did it and that seems to fix some of the pokethroughs.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

barberoy said:

Just to clarify - is the imported object a single pose prop? In other words it is not rigged and will only work on the same character in that exact pose?

Secondary question - does the old V4 or Genesis Optitex clothing work with G2F?

edited December 1969

marble said:
    barberoy said:

Just to clarify - is the imported object a single pose prop? In other words it is not rigged and will only work on the same character in that exact pose?

Secondary question - does the old V4 or Genesis Optitex clothing work with G2F?

Yes its a static single pose prop. You could change the character but it needs to be the same pose. However, if you're using a sleeveless dress like the Optitex bodice dress for V4 its possible to make some changes to the characters legs and arms.

V4 and Genesis Optitex clothing works fine with G2F. I've used some M4 dynamic clothing on G2F as well but it needs a lot more setting up.

• ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

wowie said:
    Why not just add a smoothing modifier? I did it and that seems to fix some of the pokethroughs.

Indeed, smoothing modifiers work great with DS dynamics. They're especially helpful for avoiding problems of intersection with layered items.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

barberoy said:
    I've never used freeze simulation, I think you'd only use it for animation. It freeze's each frame as a morph. For still images, exporting as an .obj and than importing it again seems the simplest method.
    Freeze works fine for stills too. It only records each frame as a morph if there's multiple frames. It ignores the 'drape' frames which aren't part of the DS timeline.

I didn't really get into using DS dynamics much until after I'd picked up SimonWM's Fairy Queen Dress for Giselle. It's a nice outfit, so I was determined to get it to work, and it later enticed me to buy a few extra items including the full plugin. I still hope for a proper DS cloth room, but at least I'm working out how to deal with its many quirks so far.

As for the inevitable poke-through, smoothing modifiers all the way. At least, if you're working on a still. I wouldn't recommend it for animations as sometimes simple things like bending an arm can sink the cloth beneath the skin instead of over it.