Why Is Tesselation Causing Open Seams?

Good day everyone,

I am not sure if this started when I updated Hexagon months ago or not (currently using 2.5.2.109), but when I do tessalations, I frequently end up with open seams. Backtracking or trying to fix the seam is a tremendous slowdown. I put up with it because I have not been doing much modeling, but now I have some bigger projects I want to work on ... and this problem is serious enough to make me move to another program. Any ideas on what is happening?

NOTE: I am going to try and look in my old hard drives to see if I have a previous version ... but I am not confident in finding one.

Thank you,

Pi Man

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited April 2022

3141592654 said:

Good day everyone,

I am not sure if this started when I updated Hexagon months ago or not (currently using 2.5.2.109), but when I do tessalations, I frequently end up with open seams. Backtracking or trying to fix the seam is a tremendous slowdown. I put up with it because I have not been doing much modeling, but now I have some bigger projects I want to work on ... and this problem is serious enough to make me move to another program. Any ideas on what is happening?

NOTE: I am going to try and look in my old hard drives to see if I have a previous version ... but I am not confident in finding one.

Thank you,

Pi Man

Yes it's a quirk of Hexagon. It does it because it can, no rhyme nor reason as to the placement of the unwelded lines either.

So, easy solution is to use the Utility to weld points. Do this also BEFORE making the final UV maps and Shading Domains. Why is because in using this tool, the Shading Domains will be zapped.

Do this now and then.png
    568 x 223 - 58K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  •  After all these years I still do this, don't give up yet, you can still create exellent stuff with Hex.

• 31415926543141592654 Posts: 967

Thank you for the encouragement ... I may still use Hexagon for simpler projects, but I am starting to explore options.

On a different note, I just bought my first CAD quality mouse (with programmable buttons). Wow ... what a difference ... even in hexagon. It does speed up the workflow.