how to set the hotpoint in object

HathatoolHathatool Posts: 21
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

hi

a small problem i stuck in to
after placing an object how can i move the hot point n to another place and change the angels of it?

thanks

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

You first select the object, then right click in the display window and you'll get a menu. One of the items is Set Pivot Point. Then in points mode select the point on the object where you want the pivot/manipulator to go. I believe you can only set the pivot point on an existing point in the mesh.

I don't think there's a way to adjust the rotation axes of the manipulator. You probably can do that in the software you send the object to.

• HathatoolHathatool Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

thank you

that was helpful
    i am looking for a away to change the angles

hope their is away

edited December 1969

Yeah, I wish there was, but I haven't found it. But can't you do that when you export it into whatever rendering software you going to use? Usually the fancy stuff for manipulator adjustments is located there.

Do you need to adjust manipulator rotation angles inside Hex? I'm curious why you'd need that. Usually when you're modelling you're not needing to do a lot of fancy rotations that can't be done with other methods.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Sometimes it's necessary to adjust the orientation of the pivot point to get a required angle for extrusion, or whatever.

You can do this by changing the orientation of the drawing plane - Scene> Properties > Custom working plane, then selecting the edge, vert, or face you want the working plane to be set parallel to. This does not change the rotation of the pivot point, but changes the orientation of the working plane to the object, which has the same effect.

Be aware that changing the pivot point will not carry through to an application you import it into - this will be reset to the "centre of gravity" of the object. It is merely an aid to modelling.

edited December 1969

Excellent !! Roy you're a master at this Hex stuff....

If you can't change the rotation of the object, then change the rotation of the world around it. Cool. Thanks.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Joe..never thought of it that way, but a pretty apt description!

This is something that I very seldom need to use - can usually get the angle right by switching between world and selection, XYZ and camera planes, but sometimes, depending on the orientation of the object and the facet, it just doesn't work, then orienting the working plane does the job.

Just for interest sake, Anim8or is the only app I've come across that has a specific function for changing the pivot point orientation without any shenanigans. Saw your description of how to do this in Carrara, which solved a problem I've had for ages.

So, touche!