Create a face from selected vertices

kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm trying to edit an object and there is a section where the surfaces come together to make a T shape. What I've been trying to do is add faces to turn the T into an upside-down triangle.

I just can't seem to figure out how to create a face by selecting lines or vertices. I'm very new and am trying to use this project to learn how to use hexagon. I've tried googling but the word hexagon brings up so many irrelevant sites that I can't find one to help with what I need.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited January 2015

I'm trying to edit an object and there is a section where the surfaces come together to make a T shape. What I've been trying to do is add faces to turn the T into an upside-down triangle.

I just can't seem to figure out how to create a face by selecting lines or vertices. I'm very new and am trying to use this project to learn how to use hexagon. I've tried googling but the word hexagon brings up so many irrelevant sites that I can't find one to help with what I need.

If I understand correctly, what you can do is Select a line, extract it out and then select the line closest to the line to be welded to and weld it.
    Then weld the other points as desired.

Edited to make correction and add pics.

making_a_triangle.png
    458 x 419 - 6K
    top_line_welds.png
    926 x 618 - 67K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited January 2015

Can you post a screen grab of what you have done so far.

Here is a link to some tutorials, look for the ones by Gary Miller (Series 1 - 4) -

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon-tutorials.php

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited December 1969

If I understand correctly, what you can do is Select a line, extract it out and then select the line closest to the line to be welded to and weld it.

Thank you, I think this has pointed me in the correct direction. My first attempt was a bit odd as I ended up with more pieces than I needed but Hex crashed as I was editing them so I'll try again hopefully with better results.

Here is a link to some tutorials, look for the ones by Gary Miller (Series 1 - 4) -

I'm working on it remotely as Hex and Daz are installed on my home pc and I'm at work right now. But the piece I am editing is http://www.sharecg.com/v/76899/browse/5/3D-Model/_The-Seraph_Schnuckelchen
    Basically I'm trying to cut out unneeded pieces and convert the rest to an outfit.

The few tutorials I've found all work the same (create a cube and section it off, then push and pull faces and sides to create your object) problem is, I'm not creating anything from scratch (yet) and I've not found anything in the tutorials that I could apply to my situation. But then, it's hard to find hexagon tutorials because of the name.

edited December 1969

Thank you, I think this has pointed me in the correct direction. My first attempt was a bit odd as I ended up with more pieces than I needed but Hex crashed as I was editing them so I'll try again hopefully with better results.

I'm working on it remotely as Hex and Daz are installed on my home pc and I'm at work right now. But the piece I am editing is http://www.sharecg.com/v/76899/browse/5/3D-Model/_The-Seraph_Schnuckelchen
    Basically I'm trying to cut out unneeded pieces and convert the rest to an outfit.

The few tutorials I've found all work the same (create a cube and section it off, then push and pull faces and sides to create your object) problem is, I'm not creating anything from scratch (yet) and I've not found anything in the tutorials that I could apply to my situation. But then, it's hard to find hexagon tutorials because of the name.

Throw a few more words on the search parameters:
    https://www.google.ca/#q=hexagon+modeling+tutorials

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Interesting...I just was working on something the other day and had the same question.

Usually in modelling apps you select the vertices in clockwise order and the app generates a face/polygon. But strangely, Hex doesn't seem to have this feature. Unless it's called something strange. I'll keep looking. Seems like an incredibly basic function for a 3D app...it must be here somewhere.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Can you do a simple fill instead of apend polygon?

edited December 1969

I didn't see fill anywhere in the menu :(

edited December 1969

There is the "close holes" button up top. Not recommended for welding lines.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

your not welding lines, your just filling in a hole with poly

edited December 1969

I don't think the "close holes" will work for this. I think it needs an existing closed area defined by lines.

edited December 1969

I don't think the "close holes" will work for this. I think it needs an existing closed area defined by lines.

Yes I know, but neither would a fill since there's nothing to fill. [If another fill option existed].

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

Yes, if there was a hole to fill. I was simply mentioning that there is a fill hole button available. It will tell you there's a hole where there are unwelded lines. If it does, best to abort and then manually fix the unwelded lines. If one tells Hexagon to do the action via the fill hole tool, it says it does but it doesn't really and/or makes another mess somehow which will bite back later.

edited December 1969

Your method did work out for me although I somehow ended up with more faces than I needed, but was able to delete the extras. It would be nice (and probably a lot easier) to just be able to select 2 vertices to draw a line, 3 vertices to create a triangle, 4 vertices to create a square.

I did find the close option which I've used to fill some holes I hadn't noticed, but there's no option to only close parts of an area and many times (especially in this particular model) it wants to close off some weird areas.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Unless it’s called something strange. I’ll keep looking. Seems like an incredibly basic function for a 3D app…it must be here somewhere.

Hi Joe :)

Look under 3D Primitives > Facet. Strange name for a tool which creates facets :)

Hold shift and click to snap to an existing vertex.

The fill tool works fine when used correctly, but will create a single poly, which could result in a n-gon, or even the deadly twisted (non-planar) n-gon. As you mention, it's purpose is to fill holes in what should be a closed mesh, not to create a new mesh or to weld unwelded edges. Great for detecting unintended holes.

It would be nice (and probably a lot easier) to just be able to select 2 vertices to draw a line, 3 vertices to create a triangle, 4 vertices to create a square.

You use the line tools to create a line - the other shapes you mention are made using the Facet tool.

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

Hi Joe :)

Look under 3D Primitives > Facet. Strange name for a tool which creates facets :)

Hold shift and click to snap to an existing vertex.

The fill tool works fine when used correctly, but will create a single poly, which could result in a n-gon, or even the deadly twisted (non-planar) n-gon. As you mention, it's purpose is to fill holes in what should be a closed mesh, not to create a new mesh or to weld unwelded edges. Great for detecting unintended holes.

You use the line tools to create a line - the other shapes you mention are made using the Facet tool.

Thank you for the tidbit of info! I will have to find those and experiment with them :)

edited January 2015

Roy,
    That's not really what we're talking about....I don't think....

What we're looking for is a tool where you select, say, three vertices sequentially, and POOF, a new facet/polygon appears to connect those three vertices.

With Facet, you are placing new vertices, not selecting existing.

Unless I'm doing it wrong.

EDIT: Yes, I'm doing it wrong... :)

Sorry, I didn't read the part about Shift Click AFTER you selected the facets tool to get it to snap to existing. I was shift click BEFORE selecting facet tool....

Cool, it works !!! Thanks for ending my head scratching... :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

Yes, I just played with that too :) Very useful.

I'm still scratching my head about the line part though. I select 2 vertices but the only line options I see are for making curves and boxes. Nothing about just a line between the vertices. Although, having learned how to use the facet tool, I don't think I'll need the line part.

edited December 1969

Wow, Roy....y'know I've been using Hex for years, and it has always nagged me that there's no way to select vertices and make a polygon. But I always ignored it and did a workaround. Annoying for sure.

But now after all these years....I'M FREE !!!! I can make polygons whenever I want !!! :)

Thanks again.... :)

edited December 1969

It's been a Long Walk To Freedom! I'm South African, BTW - catch the significance? Happy to have played a part in your liberation struggle:)

To draw a line with two clicks - select Lines > Polyline > click move mouse to different point click !

edited December 1969

And then of course there is a "Bridge" ;-)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

close works quite well to fill a hole...I've used it many times with no problems.
    edited December 1969

I don't think the "close holes" will work for this. I think it needs an existing closed area defined by lines. What about extruding from one of the edges and then welding the lines together on the other side?

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

What about extruding from one of the edges and then welding the lines together on the other side?

Edited to add to late too the party...

Roy, thanks for the tip on facets...

edited December 1969

So here's where I'm at so far :) The legs needs some detail but it's nearly ready for rigging I think

Screenshot_2015-01-06_21.10_.57_.png
    1920 x 1080 - 293K
    edited December 1969

After a little experimenting with mesh smoothing on the above model, it appears I still have some work to do flattening down or closing off objects as pretty much everything that's 3 dimensional is open on 1 side. Many |_| shapes with the open side towards the model.

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

What about extruding from one of the edges and then welding the lines together on the other side?

That's a great way to deal with many tricky 'fill the gap" situations but for some reason when I tried that with the "T", it simply would not work.
    The expected facet just kept vanishing!

edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

That's a great way to deal with many tricky 'fill the gap" situations but for some reason when I tried that with the "T", it simply would not work.
    The expected facet just kept vanishing!I find that it's generally quite reliable when I've used it but like anything sometimes one strategies works better than another for a specific situation.

edited December 1969

The fill tool works correctly to fill a single poly hole, but not for multiple-poly or open holes

gap.jpg
    736 x 639 - 37K
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    The fill tool works correctly to fill a single poly hole, but not for multiple-poly or open holes

I have actually done extrude successfully on an edge like you showed just recently...if I was doing the c shape I would do it each poly at a time to ensure it worked.

edited December 1969

In each of my above three examples, "Bridge" would be the most efficient method - extrude and weld points would also work (but more steps). For the single poly hole, "Fill" would be OK, but can be a bit wonky when there are several holes, as in my example :)