Next version?

DarthDDarthD Posts: 259
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Just wondering if we'll be seeing Hexagon 3.0 any time soon?

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Well, practically, if you look at the history of Hex, there's be almost no development of it in, what, 4 or 5 years? Hex 2.5 came out maybe 3 or 4 years ago? I forget exactly when. But even before that it was ages before anything significant was done on it.

And now they're selling, or basically giving it away, for $20 a copy. Maybe they're working on a new version, but they sure can't fund any work on the software based on getting $20 per copy. Especially if the software is so hidden on their website, who's gonna buy it?

If I had to guess I'd say it's pretty much dead as far as development goes. That seems pretty clear. But until DAZ speaks up and says something different, it's all just speculation. But in this case I think the speculation is pretty obvious.

Which is unfortunate, because it really is IMO a pretty nifty modelling tool. Thankfully it's still working as OS's change.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

I still prefer to use Hexagon, but have been looking for something that is 64-bit and has active development.

I tried Blender, and Nvil. But after using the soft selection in Blender, which does not give you a very clear idea of the points that are affected, I think I'm leaning back toward Nvil.

Silo is a possibility, as it was recently released as a 64-bit application. Development had stopped on Silo for a few years, so this recent activity might be a good sign.

edited December 1969

I'm curious...why are you looking for a modelling app that is 64 bit? Do you need the memory access?

edited December 1969

By the way I just saw the Hexagon wiki page (yes, there really is one !!), and it said Hex 2.0 was released in 2006, right after it was acquired from Eovia. It also says "Hexagon continues to be developed under DAZ's ownership with version 2.2 released in June 2007, and version 2.5 released in March 2008."

So the last major release was in 2008, which is just about 7 years ago. Yikes. As I recall the latest 2.5 version a few years (or more) ago was some bug fixes and cleanup, but no major features. But I could be wrong about that.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

By the way I just saw the Hexagon wiki page (yes, there really is one !!), and it said Hex 2.0 was released in 2006, right after it was acquired from Eovia. It also says "Hexagon continues to be developed under DAZ's ownership with version 2.2 released in June 2007, and version 2.5 released in March 2008."

So the last major release was in 2008, which is just about 7 years ago. Yikes. As I recall the latest 2.5 version a few years (or more) ago was some bug fixes and cleanup, but no major features. But I could be wrong about that.

you are right on the button .

edited December 1969

DarthD said:
    Just wondering if we'll be seeing Hexagon 3.0 any time soon?

Okay, well to answer DarthD's original question....umm...let me get my calculator....

Let's see...last significant update 7 years ago....list price has been $20 for a long time...probably nobody left at DAZ who even understands how to write code for Hex....no word from DAZ on any plans for update in many years....

Umm....divide by that...okay...and subtract....

Alright, what I come up with is this: "No". :)

edited December 1969

I'm curious...why are you looking for a modelling app that is 64 bit? Do you need the memory access?

Yeah, millions of polys.

Not sure how ZBrush has been able to handle millions of polys all these years as a 32-bit application, but they are coming with a 64-bit version soon.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

The arrogance of DAZ3D keeping us in the dark about the future of Hexagon is appalling and is insulting to the dedicated and loyal user base...

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 58
    edited January 2015

I don't look at it as arrogance, there just doesn't seem to be a good reason (need) for Daz to work at further development. Hex is not a high end poly modeling solution. Done! When the forum dries up maybe they will respond. Until then same old-same old.

Post edited by Raytownmike on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

kenmo said:
    The arrogance of DAZ3D keeping us in the dark about the future of Hexagon is appalling and is insulting to the dedicated and loyal user base...

True!

If Hexagon is dead, DAZ should have the balls to tell us.

edited December 1969

I tend to agree. Yeah, it's tough for a company to declare the end of a product, for a bunch of reasons. Maybe things will change, maybe the market will change, or the economy, or something will happen and demand for modelling software will spike, or they might be able to sell it in the future and don't want to diminish its value to a prospective buyer...who knows?

But really, there's a long track record of companies declaring the end of their software products. Of course, we always hear Microsoft and others declaring the end of support for XP and other outdated software. But there's also a lot of companies announcing the end of a their software and pulling it off the market. Heck, a big one a few years ago (well, maybe 5?) was Apple pulling Shake, which is a big time compositing software, kinda like After Effects. Big announcement, and they pulled it off their web store.

Anyway, it really would be nice for existing customers to know what the future is, especially after all these years of no development. Of course, maybe it's so obvious after all those years that it's hardly worth it. :)

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

Some sort of furher development information/assurance from Daz would be nice but action is where it's at. They can tell you that Hexagon is being worked on but a new release still maybe years away. For me time is more valuable, I can take that time to learn a modeler that is in active development. I do come back to this forum from time to time just to see what's new and usually nothing is, is new!

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Lets just say its not dead! :)

• RectroRectro Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:

Yeah, millions of polys.

Not sure how ZBrush has been able to handle millions of polys all these years as a 32-bit application, but they are coming with a 64-bit version soon.

Zbrush uses a completely different technology to that of Hexagon, Hexagon is a modeller, with that being so Hexagon can handle what can be expected from a old code modeller which is rather realistic. I feel Hexagon should be used to make practical meshes for production, like games, assets, for the likes of DAZ Studio and other 3D applications. I use Hexagon to create low to medium polygon meshes.

Hexagon is only alive in the sense of by the user, and feel it will remain that way. Iv not found another modeller like hexagon, but think used with another program such as Luxology Modo it has its place in the tool box.

Danny.

edited December 1969

CGDreams said:
    Iv not found another modeller like hexagon, but think used with another program such as Luxology Modo it has its place in the tool box.

Yeah, I'd love to have Modo, and if somebody gave me a license I wouldn't refuse ;)

I think I could use use Blender for all my modeling needs, except the soft selection does not give feedback on what is selected and the degree to which it is affected.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

For me, there is the little problem of constant crashes. Hexagon crashes and doesn't have autosave.

I'm starting to agree with the poster above who says it feels arrogant of DAZ to keep us in the dark. It's time for a 64 bit upgrade for Hexagon.

Not doing so is like a daily slap in the face of every single PA using Hex to make products for the DAZ store. Why would DAZ allow this to persist? So it's also time for DAZ to make some sort of disclosure about their plans for Hexagon.

Give us a new version or give us the source code so the community can take it Open Source, dammit! We'll make something out of it even if DAZ doesn't want to. :smirk:

By the way, my feelings above, except for the crash comments, are the same for Bryce. It's time for DAZ to show the dealer's cards so that users and PAs can make long-term plans.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited December 1969

Before Christmas I took advantage of Nevercenter's Silo3D sale. They are now offering a 64 bit version....

I like Daz, I think they is a first class operation but leaving their customers in the dark about Hexagon is either blatant arrogance or incompetence. It sickens me that they think so lowly of it's Hexagon users and customers. Not communicating with their customers over the future or demise of a product simply does not bode well with me...

edited December 1969

For me, there is the little problem of constant crashes. Hexagon crashes and doesn't have autosave.

I'm starting to agree with the poster above who says it feels arrogant of DAZ to keep us in the dark. It's time for a 64 bit upgrade for Hexagon.

Not doing so is like a daily slap in the face of every single PA using Hex to make products for the DAZ store. Why would DAZ allow this to persist? So it's also time for DAZ to make some sort of disclosure about their plans for Hexagon.

Give us a new version or give us the source code so the community can take it Open Source, dammit! We'll make something out of it even if DAZ doesn't want to. :smirk:

By the way, my feelings above, except for the crash comments, are the same for Bryce. It's time for DAZ to show the dealer's cards so that users and PAs can make long-term plans.

For me as a PA, I would have continued to make video training for sale should DAZ had taken Hexagon further, even in small steps. Hexagon is still a great modeller, and despite its bugs, I still recommend it to beginners who would like to give 3D modelling a go without splashing out lots of money.

I can still produce a complete Human base mesh from scratch ready to take into Modo for rigging, I can do this way faster than in Modo. Should Hexagon ever get some long awaited attention, id be first to jump at the chance to produce new fresh training for it.

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

CGDreams said:

For me as a PA, I would have continued to make video training for sale should DAZ had taken Hexagon further, even in small steps. Hexagon is still a great modeller, and despite its bugs, I still recommend it to beginners who would like to give 3D modelling a go without splashing out lots of money.

I can still produce a complete Human base mesh from scratch ready to take into Modo for rigging, I can do this way faster than in Modo. Should Hexagon ever get some long awaited attention, id be first to jump at the chance to produce new fresh training for it.

Mate, the moment you create another Hexagon tutorial, I will be on it in flash.

Hexagon is simple, elegant and efficient....I try using Modo and Lightwave for modelling but it frustrates me when I know there is a simpler and more effective way to get the job done so I keep coming back to Hexagon.

Utilizing bridges, DAZ to Hexagon and back, GoZ to ZBrush and back offers a great solution.

It would bring tears of joy to my eyes to hear development on Hexagon has commenced.

What will be interesting too is Pixologic's soon to be released version of ZBrush with modelling capabilities.

edited December 1969

Laticis said:
    CGDreams said:

Mate, the moment you create another Hexagon tutorial, I will be on it in flash.

Hexagon is simple, elegant and efficient....I try using Modo and Lightwave for modelling but it frustrates me when I know there is a simpler and more effective way to get the job done so I keep coming back to Hexagon.

Utilizing bridges, DAZ to Hexagon and back, GoZ to ZBrush and back offers a great solution.

It would bring tears of joy to my eyes to hear development on Hexagon has commenced.

What will be interesting too is Pixologic's soon to be released version of ZBrush with modelling capabilities.

Thank you, I did enjoy producing videos for Hexagon. I also feel frustration from Modo's over complex string of actions to do a simple task. Zbrush looks to be taking on some very nice looking modelling features, I hope that short cut keys can be assigned otherwise I can see its going to slow me down having to access menus to activate a extrude for example.

edited December 1969

CGDreams said:
    Thank you, I did enjoy producing videos for Hexagon. I also feel frustration from Modo's over complex string of actions to do a simple task. Zbrush looks to be taking on some very nice looking modelling features, I hope that short cut keys can be assigned otherwise I can see its going to slow me down having to access menus to activate a extrude for example.

Yeah that aspect of the modelling in Zbrush looks little concerning to me.

• GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

Well, I wanted to add my 2 cents. Hexagon was the first modeling program I was able to grasp and actually create something. To me, I think it would be a waste not to update it. I would love for DAZ to have a premiere modeling program. I have invested my money into DAZ for their DAZ Studio products, yes, I paid $249 for the program before it was offered free, and I would pay for a new version of Hexagon.Especially if it was recoded from the ground up but used the same familiar toolbars and UI. I don't want to have to learn another modeling program. I recent bought Carrara 8.5 because 1) it was a great deal at 65.00, and 2) I believe in supporting DAZ for many reasons, mainly because it was their products that allowed me to take my ideas from paper to computer, and expand on my creativity. Now I have to learn how to use that. I really ,like Hexagon and wished it would be updated.

edited December 1969

GarrettDR said:
    Well, I wanted to add my 2 cents. Hexagon was the first modeling program I was able to grasp and actually create something. To me, I think it would be a waste not to update it. I would love for DAZ to have a premiere modeling program. I have invested my money into DAZ for their DAZ Studio products, yes, I paid $249 for the program before it was offered free, and I would pay for a new version of Hexagon.Especially if it was recoded from the ground up but used the same familiar toolbars and UI. I don't want to have to learn another modeling program. I recent bought Carrara 8.5 because 1) it was a great deal at 65.00, and 2) I believe in supporting DAZ for many reasons, mainly because it was their products that allowed me to take my ideas from paper to computer, and expand on my creativity. Now I have to learn how to use that. I really ,like Hexagon and wished it would be updated.

Money well spent :)

If it wasn't for DAZ 3D's free version of Bryce 5 I don't think 3D would be part of my life - so I understand your thoughts/feelings.

• cekuhnencekuhnen Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Hexagon is dead? Need a powerful tool? Blender! It is free and under heavy development!

edited December 1969

cekuhnen said:
    Hexagon is dead? Need a powerful tool? Blender! It is free and under heavy development!

more Zombie like.....but one of those fast ones, with twitches and spasms :)

edited December 1969

Zombie? sure ... You must have used it a lot ...

edited December 1969

Done my fair share.

Work done in 2010: http://eat3d.com/forum/contest-archive/head-sculpting-laticis-black-jack-final

Relevant cause this was my first attempt at following CD Dreams Head Tutorial.

edited December 1969

well if you think from 2010 is relevant for the state of the software in 2015 then ok man

Blender is one of the most developed 3d software packages out there for free and easily competes with commercial products such as Modo.

Maya is a different story and price tag.

edited December 1969

cekuhnen said:
    well if you think from 2010 is relevant for the state of the software in 2015 then ok man

Blender is one of the most developed 3d software packages out there for free and easily competes with commercial products such as Modo.

Maya is a different story and price tag.

I own, Modo and Lightwave, I also have and use Blender for 3D Extruded text, the best on the planet for this.

Hexagon still in 2015 can do a job and well. Granted in doesn't compete with major apps, it doesn't need too...for simple stuff it is a treat to work with...all most are hoping for is a stable version free free errors and a 64 bit version. Anything else after that is a plus.

http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/Laticis-Imagery-FREE-Object-Bird-Cage-506333752
    http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/Laticis-Imagery-FREE-Object-Hover-Platform-504825457
    http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/Free-3D-Model-LI-Royal-GARDEN-BATH-457198764
    http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/FREE-Object-Royal-GARDEN-CHAIR-456777632

edited December 1969

Well Hex is free - fine. But it is outdated and hardly developed.
    Amapi Pro was fantastic and they killed it. I fear the same for Hex - it is very unstable.

While the UI of Hex was always good things grow more and Hex seems demoted to be an asset maker for Second Life today.
    Sadly.