Shapes for Genesis M4 V4

WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I know that the Shapes for Genesis are great for clothing, but has anyone had any luck with character textures?

I just purchased the M4/V4 Shapes for Genesis and put the M4 shape on the Genesis figure and applied the Ulrich texture, which is for M4 and the facial texture is too low - his nostrils are on his upper lip.

Anyone else having any issues like this?

Comments

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

Go into the surface tab, look for UV set and change the UV to M4. The default is generally the V4 UV set. :)

Hope that helps!

• WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

And there was much rejoicing!!!! You were exactly right and it fixed it perfectly.

A thousand 'thank you's :)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited August 2012

Yeah, UV sets, you got to love them! :)

Maybe in DS5 they can make the process automatic. Genesis 2 would be able to detect UV maps upon application and conduct itself to fit the proper UV set. ;)

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Maybe in DS5 they can make the process automatic. Genesis 2 would be able to detect UV maps upon application and conduct itself to fit the proper UV set. ;)

Is there a way for it to know what UV to use? I mean for legacy stuff? I don't think it's as much an issue with Genesis maps but for older ones I don't think they really have a way of telling what it's really for.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As far as I know a texture is just a image file. Until the program is told it was made for This or That UV it will not be Stretched into the proper dimensions, which that UV uses.

• edited December 1969

Unfortunately this doesn't work for the M4/V4 muscle maps >:(
    I filed a bug report and they told me it wasn't supposed to work!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Is there a way for it to know what UV to use? I mean for legacy stuff? I don't think it's as much an issue with Genesis maps but for older ones I don't think they really have a way of telling what it's really for.

On new presets you can actually set what UV map it uses before you save the material to library. Older materials don't have that, but some of the newer Genesis-supporting V4M4 sets do (any of PD's new stuff at Rendo, for instance, will load the right UV for you). Mostly I just do the extra clicks.

You can also turn on the right UV and then re-save the material to library yourself.

edited December 1969

Hey! That's a great tip. Would it hurt my use of the textures in DS3A?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

I tested just now and PD Ellis and PD Kyo, which both have the feature, still load on V4 and M4 in DS3 without errors.

It can't apply a V4 or M5 UV to an M4 that doesn't have that loaded, of course, but it won't show an error, and it works fine on things whose UVs match the textures you're using.

edited December 1969

Great Info, thank you much.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

ragaray said:
    Unfortunately this doesn't work for the M4/V4 muscle maps >:(
    I filed a bug report and they told me it wasn't supposed to work!

It doesn't? That's weird. Then how did they do the last couple promo pics for Genesis Evolution: Muscularity? http://www.daz3d.com/shop/genesis-evolution-muscularity
  • edited August 2012

The knee area is twisted.
    I'm referring to these:
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z209/ragaray/Muscle2.jpg

M4 on your left, Genesis on the right.

Post edited by richardgaray_c9b7eb2acb on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

I remember someone having a kind-of-similar issue with the Supersuit...

Found it: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/201/P150/#7552 No idea if the same fix suggested there will help you or not...I can switch between UV sets just fine, but otherwise the whole UV thing is still kinda beyond me!

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Muscle Maps don't have that Symmetrical Limbs option.