My workspace resets every time I reopen Daz.

Reinstalled daz recently as I had a format and now every time I reopen daz it resets my workspace to a default "City Limits Lite" and when I set things up the way I like it, I can't save my workspace preset through Window - Workspace - Save layout as.

Help pls.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited April 2022

The following isntructions are no longer needed as Rob has added a script to the announcement post here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551251/daz-studio-4-20-0-x-pro-general-release/p1 that will handle the creating of the dummy files to enable layout saving. The script reports its status to the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File).

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is a known issue with 4.20.0.2, the Public Build has what is hoped to be a fix and if that works out the General Release will be updated. You can get around this by manually creating the UI files, or grabbing a copy of each from a backup. You need to go to (for Windows)

%AppData%/daz 3d/studio4/

and add

actions.dsx
    customactions.dsx
    layout.dsx
    menus.dsx
    toolbars.dsx

which you can do by creating new text files, then chnaging the name and extension (make sure that the system is set to display extensions of known file types)

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Thanks, yeah, your fix helped.

• Richard Haseltine said:

This is a known issue with 4.20.0.2, the Public Build has what is hoped to be a fix and if that works out the General Release will be updated. You can get around this by manually creating the UI files, or grabbing a copy of each from a backup. You need to go to (for Windows)

and add

actions.dsx
    customactions.dsx
    layout.dsx
    menus.dsx
    toolbars.dsx

which you can do by creating new text files, then chnaging the name and extension (make sure that the system is set to display extensions of known file types)

i dont understand, i ve created the text files and change the extention but nothing change, can you show some screenshots? 

• You're sure the exetnsion changed - it isn't, for example. menus.dsx.txt? The only change should be that they show as Daz Studio file types, and then when you start and then close Daz Studio in future it should remember layout chnages 9as long as nothing external is removing the files).

• i have menus.dsx and more files but i notice a new carpet named "user layout"  there is where my custom layout is saved. but in daz i cant see it.

• raylikesvideos said:

i have menus.dsx and more files but i notice a new carpet named "user layout"  there is where my custom layout is saved. but in daz i cant see it.

The items there are read by Window>Workspace>Select Layout and by the Import button in Window>Workspace>Customise (and written to by the matching Save/export options).

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Is this also why I try to save a new layout, it tells me it's has been saved, but it isn't there.

• WillowRaven said:

Is this also why I try to save a new layout, it tells me it's has been saved, but it isn't there.

Yes

• matthammattham Posts: 5

Thankyou - fixed the issue on 4.20.0.2 and fresh Win11 install :-)

• Richard Haseltine said:

and add

actions.dsx
    customactions.dsx
    layout.dsx
    menus.dsx
    toolbars.dsx

Rob has added a script to the announcement post here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/551251/daz-studio-4-20-0-x-pro-general-release/p1 that will handle the creating of the dummy files to enable layout saving. The script reports its status to the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File).

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995

I'd like my real world workspace to reset after I open up DS... My frickin' desk is a mess.

• 3DRenderBoy3DRenderBoy Posts: 31
    edited April 2022

I had same issues and was nerved so I worked with BETA product. Now, after I saw this thread and @RichardHaseltine's help, I fixed the issues (created empty *.dsx files after his helpful information with Windows' Notepad). DAZ Studio (not the BETA) does NOT reset everything to default layout even so when I open World Space Layout. Thank you, Richard!

Post edited by 3DRenderBoy on

Sooo ... I'm confused. Can I save my workspace again? Do I need to do something, like reinstall?

• WillowRaven said:

Sooo ... I'm confused. Can I save my workspace again? Do I need to do something, like reinstall?

This fixes the session layout save (remembering the layout when DS restarts). It should work for saving a custom layout, if you place correctly named files in the User Layouts folder, but that isn't the point of the workaround as described and isn't something I have tried.

I'm still missing something. Even upon reinstall, my layout says it saves but doesn't. What do I do to fix this?

• WillowRaven said:

I'm still missing something. Even upon reinstall, my layout says it saves but doesn't. What do I do to fix this?

In 4.20.0.2? Are you trying to guess the name of the saved layout files and then creating them in tbe User layouts folder, so there are placeholders for the save to overwrite?

In the past, I just told Daz to save my layout as "WillowRaven blah-blah-blah" (whatever way I'll remember how one layout differs from another), and it just saved it. Now it says it's saved, but then isn't really saved or in the options list. I thought after all of the complaints they would have fixed it, so I reinstalled and still no luck.

• It is fixed, for the Public Build, but the General Reelase has not yet been updated. In the General reelase the only way to get it to save if there is no previous save with the name used is to add the dummy files as in the walkthrough for the session layout (saving the layout between runs).

• 3dmorocco3dmorocco Posts: 9
    edited April 2022

My workspace reset every time i reopen Daz !!!???? 

I tried all the possibilities, I even reinstalled Windows 10 & 11.

That said it"s a BIG BUG very disturbing. 

Note: Version 4.20.0.2 Pro Edition (64 bit) 

Post edited by 3dmorocco on
  • 3dmorocco said:

and have you tried the workaround given above? Or use the Public Build, which has a fix?

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,363

is the public build a beta build or what? i dont understand that terminology. 

• daveso said:

is the public build a beta build or what? i dont understand that terminology. 

Public Build is the beta

• See https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/990671/#Comment_990671 (which I have now bookmarked for future reference)

• 3dmorocco3dmorocco Posts: 9
    edited April 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

3dmorocco said:

and have you tried the workaround given above? Or use the Public Build, which has a fix?

Indeed I now use the method described above.
    but I can't use the 3DS max plugin !!?? On the other hand ZBrush, Unreal and Unity Plugins work correctly.
    If there is a solution for 3DS Max I would appreciate it.
    In any case, thank you very much for your work.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on