The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

New to the thread, have had Marvelous Designer 9.5 but only now diving in.  In my current 9.5 version, if I retopology inside MD 9.5, then I lose the welds.  I know that there has been some updates to retopology and remesh in more recent versions.  Does that include fixing the issue with losing the welds?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Diomede said:

New to the thread, have had Marvelous Designer 9.5 but only now diving in.  In my current 9.5 version, if I retopology inside MD 9.5, then I lose the welds.  I know that there has been some updates to retopology and remesh in more recent versions.  Does that include fixing the issue with losing the welds?

No it does not. I have version 11. I don't know how to get it welded after retopology either.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited January 2022

barbult said:

Diomede said:

No it does not. I have version 11. I don't know how to get it welded after retopology either.

Thanks.  Saved me the upgrade money.  I've looked through this thread and searched the net for options for retopology.  There are many alternatives.  I've seen a video with 8 options using Blender and its add-ons, in addition to ZBrush, etc.  My current strategy is to learn one of the Blender options, but I am new to Blender and can easily be persuaded to choose something else.  

@Barbult, your examples in this thread are inspiring.  yes

Post edited by Diomede on
  • JoJoSJoJoS Posts: 50
    edited February 2022

I gave up on the t-shirt (in case anyone wondered lmao) and decided to start from scratch with a sports bra but I didn't like how that turned out either. So I now have...well some kind of overall that I made and I like it so far, anyhow I textured it with substance (inside of MD) so what I'm stuck on now in how to create different material zones within this one outfit, can anyone help me with this please?

I'd like to change the chest area to a different colour than the rest of the outfit

Screenshot 2022-02-18 201152.jpg
    1892 x 2620 - 282K
    Post edited by JoJoS on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,646

I don't have MD, so what options there are in there I can't help with.

But in a modeller you can create surface (material) zones, or you can do it inside Daz Studio with the geometry tool.

felis said:

I don't have MD, so what options there are in there I can't help with.

But in a modeller you can create surface (material) zones, or you can do it inside Daz Studio with the geometry tool.

Thank you for the reply, I figured it out eventually, I suppose I just needed a break ha

I have another question :-)

My outfit fits nicely to the genesis 8.1 base. When I apply body shapes of other characters, for example Brooke 8.1 I would need a morph to correct the fitting - thats fine. But when I tried this very same thing with an outfit I bought from Rhiannon (renderosity) the outfit fit to the genesis 8.1 base AND Brooke 8.1 without me having to touch any morphs whatsoever. So I suppose my question is, what am I missing? How did Rhiannon manage this?

JoJoS said:

My outfit fits nicely to the genesis 8.1 base. When I apply body shapes of other characters, for example Brooke 8.1 I would need a morph to correct the fitting - thats fine. But when I tried this very same thing with an outfit I bought from Rhiannon (renderosity) the outfit fit to the genesis 8.1 base AND Brooke 8.1 without me having to touch any morphs whatsoever. So I suppose my question is, what am I missing? How did Rhiannon manage this?

Have you transferred rigging to your clothing?

Rigged cloth will autogenerate adjustments morphs. 

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

There is a process that you have not completed. Jay has a great videos on Youtube  that shows the process of creating clothing in marvelous designer and fiting to Daz characters.

Turning a CLO/MD garment into Conforming Clothing in DAZ Studio

Making a quick shirt in Marvelous Designer and importing it into DAZ Studio - 3D Shenanigans

How to fit DAZ Clothing using Marvelous Designer

felis said:

JoJoS said:

I have used the transfer utility  to fit the clothing yes, but dialing in other character shapes doesn't go so well, body parts poking out.

Tugpsx said:

There is a process that you have not completed. Jay has a great videos on Youtube  that shows the process of creating clothing in marvelous designer and fiting to Daz characters.

Turning a CLO/MD garment into Conforming Clothing in DAZ Studio

Making a quick shirt in Marvelous Designer and importing it into DAZ Studio - 3D Shenanigans

How to fit DAZ Clothing using Marvelous Designer

If you are meaning the transefer utility, I have don that to fit it to G8.1. I have already watched through two of those videos and just watched the third now, but when he dials in another character shape there are no body parts poking out where as on mine there is

JoJoS said:

felis said:

JoJoS said:

I have used the transfer utility  to fit the clothing yes, but dialing in other character shapes doesn't go so well, body parts poking out.

Is your clothing then also fitted and parented to the character?

Try to do a screenshot of your scene tab, where both the character and the clothing is visible. 

felis said:

JoJoS said:

felis said:

JoJoS said:

Is your clothing then also fitted and parented to the character?

Try to do a screenshot of your scene tab, where both the character and the clothing is visible. 

I presumed that the transfer utility does the 'fitting' and yes it is parented. Here's the screenshot on the base figure, which fits fine. It just doesn't on say most others ha

Base G 8.1.jpg
    3046 x 2596 - 471K

It looks correct.

Is is correctly following, if you pose the character?

If you dial in a morph, enable 'show hidden' in parameters, and then click 'currently used' for the clothing and do a screenshot of that.

felis said:

It looks correct.

Is is correctly following, if you pose the character?

If you dial in a morph, enable 'show hidden' in parameters, and then click 'currently used' for the clothing and do a screenshot of that.

I don't see the 'currently used' for the clothing for some reason. What am I supposed to see there? (ps ignore the crotch area, I messed that up in MD ha)

Screenshot 2022-02-20 190147.jpg
    3010 x 2500 - 497K
  • Have you applied a Rigidity Map to the clothes? That will block morph projection.

JoJoS said:

I don't see the 'currently used' for the clothing for some reason. What am I supposed to see there? (ps ignore the crotch area, I messed that up in MD ha)

This is an example of how it could look. 

Cloth_fit.PNG
    1003 x 740 - 320K

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you applied a Rigidity Map to the clothes? That will block morph projection.

Whats that and how do I implement it?

felis said:

JoJoS said:

This is an example of how it could look. 

Why do you have so many options and I don't?

Try to import this, scale 10000%.

Then run transfer utility, with a G8F as donor and this as target, and then see if it behave if morphed.

zip
    zip
    G8F_chainmail2.zip

felis said:

Try to import this, scale 10000%.

Then run transfer utility, with a G8F as donor and this as target, and then see if it behave if morphed.

see attached screenshot :-)

Screenshot 2022-02-20 213738.jpg
    3090 x 2606 - 470K

There is clearly a projected morph.

I don't think you have show hidden.

Click the 3 horizontal bars > Preferences > Show hidden

DS_show_hidden.png
    772 x 287 - 52K
    edited February 2022

felis said:

There is clearly a projected morph.

I don't think you have show hidden.

Click the 3 horizontal bars > Preferences > Show hidden

You're right, I didn't. I didn't realise I had to select that every time I opened Daz. So I now see your morphs on your dress. I went ahead and applied the same process on my outfit and this is what I see (not quite sure why a tween body and the ensley ones are applied to the outfit though) 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 225512.jpg
    3082 x 2604 - 490K
    Post edited by JoJoS on
  • JoJoS said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you applied a Rigidity Map to the clothes? That will block morph projection.

Whats that and how do I implement it?

You don't want it if you want morphs to be projected into the clothing. I doubt you'd add one in error, but activate the Geometry Editor, right-click>Selection Type>Vertex Selection, and in the Tol Settings pane lok to see if there are any entries under Rigidity Maps with a non-zero value for vertices.

Honestly, I solve one issue only to find another, it seems to be never ending lmao. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these....artifacts? are down the folds of the skirt at the front (little darker triangle type things)

Screenshot 2022-02-21 230041.jpg
    1970 x 2628 - 361K
  • TheMysteryIsThePointTheMysteryIsThePoint Posts: 2,887
    edited February 2022

JoJoS said:

Honestly, I solve one issue only to find another, it seems to be never ending lmao. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what these....artifacts? are down the folds of the skirt at the front (little darker triangle type things)

It looks like you've got bad topo. The triangles are trying to bend in the way the dress should fall, but can't. I think there is a re-topo functional that you might have to do before sim that will fix that.

Post edited by TheMysteryIsThePoint on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,120

Yeah, it's pretty crucial to retopologize before exporting, especially if you're planning to dForce.

TheMysteryIsThePoint said:

JoJoS said:

It looks like you've got bad topo. The triangles are trying to bend in the way the dress should fall, but can't. I think there is a re-topo functional that you might have to do before sim that will fix that.

I quadrangulated it if thats what you mean? In MD that is. 

Screenshot 2022-02-21 232929.jpg
    1890 x 2576 - 560K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,120

I haven't opened MD in a little while, but I think all you have to do to retopoligize is check the "retopologize" button. This will make it look more like the kind of mesh you'll typically see on a clothing item in the Daz store. Retopologizing in MD is dependent on the orientation of the different components in the 2D viewer.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited February 2022

Gordig said:

I haven't opened MD in a little while, but I think all you have to do to retopoligize is check the "retopologize" button. This will make it look more like the kind of mesh you'll typically see on a clothing item in the Daz store. Retopologizing in MD is dependent on the orientation of the different components in the 2D viewer.

Retopologize in MD is not a "push the button and you're done" kind of thing. Also, if you retopologize in MD, you lose all your seam welds and your exported dress will fall apart, unless you weld in another application. 

I suggest you try subdivision in Daz Studio (on your quadragnulated MD mesh). That will help quite a bit. Also look at the Geometry Editor command to rotate triangulation of selected polygons. Daz has produced a video tutorial about it.

Screenshot 2022-02-21 184416.jpg
    409 x 258 - 27K
    Post edited by barbult on