The Resurrectionist, Take Two

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

As some may recall sometime back I took a stab at a modeling tut type of thread in here using the book "The Resurrectionist" by E.B. Hudspeth. Aside from getting somewhat overwhelmed by the task, a few things happened along the way which is why I ceased posting to it for the time. Mainly because in researching for some more ideas and/or pics, I made the discovery of the horrible fact that there do exist some folk actually doing such horrendous things to very real animals and people. Obviously the memory of the global flood days has grown dim to some, DO NOT DO THAT. Fantasy is one thing, not to be confused with reality, 'k folk. Big Wall ;-)

It is possible to purchase and/or kitbash together most if not all of the figures using products available at Daz3d ... [or of course some of the other places wherein they might also be free, such as Turbosquid - there's often a skeleton or 2 over there].

However we like to model and make stuff ourselves too so if there is still any interest I may start this over again.

Any interest?
And PLEASE, if/when anybody has a better idea on how to model something, feel free to say so! I'm neither a professional nor an expert. ty.

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Lots of views, no replies so, okay ... no more tuts.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,785
    edited December 1969

fact is anything horrible you can think about or someone has wrote about is most likely being done by somebody.
    Not sure what you want people to comment on, not read the book

edited December 1969

Oh, whether or not they were interested for me to continue with the modeling tut project in here.
    It's a very interesting book [lost the thread long time back ... buried somewhere in this forum] wherein one has people with wings, dogs with many heads, flying horses, some slinky things ... you know ... all those nifty characters for hiding in dark places ;-)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Patience :)

I've not read the book, nor seen your previous attempts. Any tut that shows folks new techniques is welcome, so I say go for it!

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 1969

Also, remember, it's a busy time of year with the coming holidays and work and families, etc. You can't always judge a day without replies as a lack of interest. I think most people would welcome tutorials of any kind.

edited December 1969

Okay ... I'll put it back on the burner and see what happens.

A Google image search is here for those who missed the book HOWEVER if modeling seriously, like, please buy the book.
    [and carefully about clicking on images from image searches, it's a different approach to websites and some are attack sites. It is better to copy the link, sort through it to find the real website and approach via the front door - checking with WOT or something of course as one would usually do for web-surfing].

I have the book and permission to post something of the images for purposes of the tutorials, so not to be overly concerned about idea-pictures.

The approach taken in this book is a little different than some readers may be used to ... it is really a book of fiction. Made somewhat to appear as a book of fact. For those into serious modeling, it is of interest in that the author has some excellent drawings of muscle structures as well as the skeletons.

The main programs I'll be using are Hexagon and D/S4.6.

First up will probably be "The Egg" ...

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

The approach taken in this book is a little different than some readers may be used to ... it is really a book of fiction. Made somewhat to appear as a book of fact. For those into serious modeling, it is of interest in that the author has some excellent drawings of muscle structures as well as the skeletons.

It is interesting and the anatomical drawings are convincing. I know its fiction, but the idea of a 6 limbed vertebrate is still fascinating. I've heard the suggestion that dragons might be more than mythology, but I have always dismissed that as a biological impossibility. I'd be more inclined to believe fire breathing had evolved as a trait than another pair of limbs in a single vertebrate species.

There's a series of books that began with Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials that has a similar approach.

edited December 2014

Ah yes, now I remember...:)

I have always held that mermaids should have dolphin flukes and not fish tails because they are air-breathing and an up-down instead of side-side swimming stroke would be more appropriate to their half-human shape!

In fact, 4 years ago, when I still had ambitions of being an animator, I did this video. At 20 mins per frame, it took about a month, rendering overnight, to get it done ! That took care of that ambition :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0iIn5Etk0A

I'm far too practical to be an artist :)

Post edited by Roygee on
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Maybe it would be helpful, if we can get a link to the former thread with the old tutorials. This will help the ones here, who have no idea, what you'e talking about, like me. I didn't knew the book before the last five minutes, but what i see looks very interesting. YES! I would like to see more tuts.

edited December 2014

Mod, this can be deleted, ty.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 2014

Mod, this post too could be deleted, ty.

edited December 1969

Maybe it would be helpful, if we can get a link to the former thread with the old tutorials. This will help the ones here, who have no idea, what you'e talking about, like me. I didn't knew the book before the last five minutes, but what i see looks very interesting. YES! I would like to see more tuts.

I have already looked for it ... seems to be very illusive which may be just as well.

Okay ... Part One: The Egg.

After spending a day with a sphere and various ways of adjusting the mesh to accommodate this program and that, decided it was time for an executive decision. Narrow beam to model for "one" program. To get a nice egg in D/S, use the Sculptie Sphere. The image of the egg goes on the back grid in Hexagon as a reference image. Toggle transparency on and have faces or lines selected [so it is transparent] and reposition the sphere to the image. Then resize, reshape it accordingly. I find it helpful to have it half way through the grid image. The manipulator, sometimes at 'world', sometimes at 'selection' ... whichever angle gets the most helpful position.

Then the sphere is re-centered to zero EXCEPT to pull it up to the floor. D/S will place the manipulator at the bottom of the .obj irregardless of whether the .obj lands on the floor or half-way through it. Apply a Shading domain and match the material's name to it. Test export.
    Wash .obj. Test next export. Remake uvmap. Test export. Make prop. KEEP .obj file for Part Two :-)

z004.png
    1474 x 845 - 114K
    z003.png
    1502 x 702 - 117K
    z002.png
    1907 x 1006 - 367K
    z001.png
    1713 x 992 - 407K
    001_Harp_Egg_reduced_res.jpg
    668 x 664 - 58K
    edited December 2014

The rest of the pics for Part One.

z007.png
    912 x 671 - 280K
    z006.png
    1011 x 921 - 657K
    z005.png
    1794 x 812 - 279K
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Thank you. That's look like a good start.

edited December 2014

You're welcome.

Today I've uploaded a basic brief tutorial on the topic of uvmapping a cube. Nothing to do with beasties, but useful stuff.

DA Link

edit to add texture image.
    Genuine eggshell colour ;-)

Part Two is in the editing basket ... we break the egg in half!

EggShell.jpg
    235 x 235 - 5K
    edited December 1969

Part Two: Splitting the Egg, Thickening the Egg without loosing the uvmap, Splitting that Egg.

In modeling in Hexagon, one does have to keep in mind the program in which they intend the item to be used.
    Not all 3D programs read the same file, the same way.

z012.png
    1041 x 419 - 55K
    z011_not_in_2_pieces.png
    1520 x 833 - 511K
    z010_after_import_can_name_as_please.png
    1485 x 846 - 198K
    z009.png
    1920 x 1035 - 299K
    z008.png
    1920 x 1037 - 321K
    edited December 2014

Legacy rigging for non-clothing items is a breeze in D/S4.6. One can still use the old fashioned grouping methods which I've used in this tutorial so far.
    Rigging for clothing requires no groups in Hexagon, just one solid mesh.
    Triax rigging also requires some work on the .obj file IN D/S before trying to rig it in the Figure Setup Tab.

z018.png
    1334 x 930 - 274K
    z017.png
    1258 x 608 - 155K
    z015.png
    609 x 677 - 62K
    z014_where_was_the_geometry.png
    903 x 811 - 76K
    z013.png
    1240 x 847 - 194K
    edited December 2014

You realize of course that in following these tutorials, we expect to see a zillion free eggs being offered this spring!!!
    There could be split-apart counting toys for the K4 and kin ...
    Patterned eggs for those nifty baskets ...
    Eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner ... a certain detective was noted for having a hard boiled one in his pocket ...
    Eggs for nog ...
    Wood eggs with delightful patterns painted on them ...
    Beautifully decorated eggs which open to reveal carriages/figures/scenes/etc ....

The eggs of a Harpy would vary in size depending upon which breed of Harpy laid it of course.
    And considering the colours of all the bird eggs in the world, solid or speckled, most any colour.

The term "candling" refers to the holding up of an egg to a candle to check for blood spots. Eggs meant to be eaten are not to have blood spots in them.

z023_rigged_in_DS3_works_in_Poser.png
    1061 x 698 - 307K
    z022_both_w_in_DS3.png
    1920 x 945 - 340K
    z021_no_work.png
    1234 x 719 - 481K
    z020.png
    692 x 803 - 313K
    z019.png
    1096 x 785 - 415K
    edited December 2014

So for rigging, keep D/S3 with the tools if you have them.

z028_copy_delete_paste.png
    1809 x 984 - 337K
    z027_kept_uvmap.png
    1920 x 983 - 232K
    z026.png
    425 x 348 - 18K
    z025_fix_sd.png
    1920 x 1034 - 410K
    z024_make_a_bit_bigger.png
    1819 x 1041 - 390K
    edited December 2014

Harpies at feeding time ... now there's a render waiting to be made lol ... yuck.

z033_here_is_reason.png
    1263 x 666 - 105K
    z032_close_program.png
    1519 x 870 - 192K
    z031_STAY_IN_SD.png
    1806 x 1034 - 249K
    z030.png
    1801 x 785 - 170K
    z029.png
    1566 x 724 - 184K
    edited December 2014

And the last of the lot for today ;-)

Hope something was of use to all reading.

z036_file_works.png
    1068 x 738 - 236K
    z035_resize_all_together.png
    1813 x 793 - 151K
    z034_hide_one_move_other.png
    1803 x 845 - 166K
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Very nicely done Patience. I miss some of DS3 tools, especially the PP2 (Poser OBJ converter/exporter).

Great tutorial, I would have gone about the mapping differently, but that's me.

edited December 1969

Very nicely done Patience. I miss some of DS3 tools, especially the PP2 (Poser OBJ converter/exporter).

Great tutorial, I would have gone about the mapping differently, but that's me.

Thank you :-)

The PP2 converter script that works in D/S3 works up to D/S4.6 AFAIK although [at least on my computer] in 4.6 the bottom links to okay to convert or trash cannot be read ... but their link is still there so I just select one and if I guess right, a prop is made. HOWEVER, these props no longer, consistently, work as desired in Poser. So, back to the drawing board anyway. I have Poser ... and the experts took the information and did not get back to me any solutions so ... the convoluted work flow is to make the PP2 prop in D/S using the script, load that in Poser ... then import in the original .obj file using a variety of settings until one gets an import that matches the desired size of the script PP2 file. Clear the scene and import in the original .obj file in Poser and make the prop there. The entire work flow has to be repeated for every single .obj file. There are days when even I do have patience for all of this. Poser also reads .obj files differently than D/S does ... it may need to have the faces flipped. BUT, not always the entire lot as flipping them all, can cause others to not be seen unless rendered. That things may not show until rendered bothers some folk [me included lol ...]

The uvmapping, feel free to show how you would do it if you would like to.
    To get the first seams cuts, I did make use of another program to see its suggestions. I decided to use them here too to show that seams do not always have to be one line loops. The advantage can be [not always of course] that if one is looking for a seam line on the finished item, hopefully they never find one lol ...

edited December 1969

About the invisible faces in Poser - I did some asking around and found that in Poser 9 and later there is an option under Render > Settings>Preview to make back faces visible. I only have Debut for the occasional testing, so can't verify. This may help you?

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

About the invisible faces in Poser - I did some asking around and found that in Poser 9 and later there is an option under Render > Settings>Preview to make back faces visible. I only have Debut for the occasional testing, so can't verify. This may help you?

Thank you ... I'll check. With other models I've shared, feedback from some ardent Poser users indicated that it was a matter to tell Poser to flip normals on import. Normally I have more problems with this with "mixed meshes" [part my work and part of works by others made in different programs like Blender, Sketchup, etc.] One day I'll figure it out that is no such thing as a short cut for making .objects work between these 3 or 4 programs.

Have been contemplating the next step here ... the winged figure.
    Without trying to overwhelm myself this time lol ...
    One bone at a time ...
    Or, ... oh yeah! hehehehe ....

edited December 1969

Roygee said:

YOU'RE RIGHT!!!! Thank you :-) At least for the model finished today, this worked beautifully. Who'd thought a program would have a default hide the goodies checked but anyway ... one can see both sides sides of the wall ;-)

edited December 1969

Okay! The Ostrich feathers arrived in great condition so we can have some free feather textures :-)
    Amazing what can be bought on eBay ... and yes it came in bubblewrap lol ...