Reality 3 for dazstudio??? or did the creator give up on studio?

creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in The Commons

I see Reality 3 apears for poser
Will it be launched for dazstudio too?
or did pret-a-3d the creator give up on studio developing, as it's not sold on the site here anymore?

Will Reality lux render engine as fast as octane GPU rendering or?

Post edited by creativemodelsbe on

Comments

• KerwinKerwin Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

http://preta3d.com/blog/2012/05/02/reality-not-sold-at-daz-anymore/

My understanding is Reality3 (or similar) for DAZ studio will come out a few months after the Poser version (November), though I may have misunderstood the post.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Along with any other factors, there's no point in releasing a new plugin until DS4.5 goes final and it can be compiled against that, otherwise every customer will need to download and install an update when it does go final and they update.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I see Reality 3 apears for poser
    Will it be launched for dazstudio too?
    or did pret-a-3d the creator give up on studio developing, as it's not sold on the site here anymore?

Will Reality lux render engine as fast as octane GPU rendering or?

As it states on the Pret-a-3D website, the Poser version will not be released until November, so it is not available yet. Paolo has also said that when the DS4 SDK is finalised and made available, he will be updating Reality to work with version 4.5.

Luxrender can run in Hybrid mode which uses the GPU as well as the CPU, and I think it is reasonably fast. Octane only uses the GPU as far as I know, and it requires a high end graphics card to get the best speed out of it.

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

don't we see a new reality until studio 5 has reached?
    4.5 is only intermediate developing step to final version 5.
    seems logical

edited December 1969

don't we see a new reality until studio 5 has reached?
    4.5 is only intermediate developing step to final version 5.
    seems logical

How did you come to that conlusion?

Version 4.5 is in it's third release (RC3), and I would expect the SDK to be released very soon. There will probably be many versions of 4.5 long before a version 5 is released. Reality already works in the other versions of DS4, like 4.0.3.47.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited August 2012

To wait until the Beta release moved into a final release is on one point okay.

On the other side it's not good, that Paolo left the Daz-Users, who created the current status of Reality, in the rain. With the release of the latest version of Reality for DS we get in the beginning nearly every week an update to fix problems and I think, that this kind of support could also work with DS 4.5.

With the statements on Paolo's own homepage about his releation with Renderosity and that he want left DAZ I think, that he will leave the DAZ users as well, but that's my very own impression.

Luxrender, the base and heart of Reality is an open-source project, so maybe there are some other users here with enough knowledge to create a new kind "Reality", maybe for free, like the free versions for Blender or Poser (pose2Lux is free, Reality for Poser cost 59$).

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
    edited December 1969

Paolo cannot do anything about version 4.5, as there has been no SDK released for that version yet. I cannot see why you think DAZ Studio users have been lef in the rain. My version of Reality works just fine, and it is an excellent plugin, with great support.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

I use meanwhile only DS 4.5 and can't use currently Reality. But that SDK thing makes sense.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

In the long term it would not be surprising if Daz users lost his attention though. If the poser plugin sells substantially better I don't see us getting any love. As long as we get 2.5 for 4.5 when it is finalized I'll probably be ok though. Would be nice if we got continued support though.

But with all his comments about Daz I'm just not so certain myself. Since I've only been using reality for about two months (got it at rosity) I'd be sad for the relationship to end so soon.

And people wonder why I don't like 3rd partly plugins...

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Paolo has made it very clear that Reality 3 WILL be developed for DAZ Studio.

From here: http://preta3d.com/reality-3-faq/ - or here: http://preta3d.com/technology-preview-reality-3-for-poser/

Q: Will there be a Reality 3 for Studio?
    A: Yes, this version will be released possibly in the range of two months after the release of the Poser version.

DS users will NOT be left out in the cold. There is no need to fear!!! Paolo is only one man, and is the only person developing the plugin so therefore his time is limited and can only do so much. As a DS user that uses Reality, I see no issue about having R3 released for Poser first AND I am actully quite happy for Poser users to finally have a version of Reality. And while they may get a few months to play with R3 before DS users do, we have had Reality for almost 2 years now and can still use R2 while they dont even have access to R3 yet!

I do not see why Paolo would stop developing Reality for DAZ Studio. DS is freeware and LuxRender is freeware. So it is easier to save up the money for Reality for DS then it is for Poser since Poser is not freeware.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Let me take a moment to clear up a few things on Paolo's behalf (with the round the clock coding for Reality 3, he can't be in every thread at once...though he manages to pop in all of them at some point LOL)

To wait until the Beta release moved into a final release is on one point okay.

On the other side it's not good, that Paolo left the Daz-Users, who created the current status of Reality, in the rain. With the release of the latest version of Reality for DS we get in the beginning nearly every week an update to fix problems and I think, that this kind of support could also work with DS 4.5.

No one is being "left out in the rain" - Paolo has stated the following in numerous threads, here, on Rendo & RDNA:
    Reality 2.5, with compatibility for Daz Studio 4.5 is complete, and awaiting the final Studio 4.5 public release.
    We are currently on Release Candidate3 for D|S 4.5. To avoid needing to chase problems & quirks with every change, Reality 2.5 won't see the light of day until D|S 4.5 is officially locked & out. I think this is the best strategy, especially since he is evolving the program to it's next phase with Reality 3. Better to focus on that than chase RC issues with Studio.

In the long term it would not be surprising if Daz users lost his attention though. If the poser plugin sells substantially better I don't see us getting any love. As long as we get 2.5 for 4.5 when it is finalized I'll probably be ok though. Would be nice if we got continued support though.

Paolo has given the following release schedule for Reality 3: The Poser version will be released at some point in November. Reality 3 for Daz Studio will be released at some point in January 2013, a couple months after the Poser release. He has been insistent that the Daz Community is the entire reason for the tremendous success of Reality, and many of the expansions to Luxrender itself. He has no plans to leave anyone behind, regardless of any business changes that have gone on between him & Daz. We, the user base are still at the forefront, and the reason Reality continues to evolve. The advances he has made in order to bring Reality to Poser are going to benefit all Reality users in the long term, and apparently open many new doors for where Reality can & will go in the future.

I just want to make sure the truth is out there & no one runs on any tangents or rumors based on whatever. I'm sure Paolo will pop here at some point to back up my statement, but you can search The Reality threads here, on Rendo, RDNA, or his own site at Pret-a-3d.com, to stay up to date with Reality 2.5 / 3 developments ;-)

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

It's nice to see there will be an upgrade path from 2 for DS users, but I'm not talking about Reality 3, I'm talking later down the road. True studio has a large base of free users but ya know, time will tell.

• edited December 1969

Personally I think it is great that Poser users will finally get to use Reality as well. I am a D|S user and am lost when my D|S decides to not talk to Reality & Lux right on a given day because it (D|S) doesn't like the way the sun is shining or the way a storm front is heading in or because it hasn't had its PMS meds and needs some chocolate, has grown claws and is threatening bodily harm to my Reality & Lux.

I have faith our Reality guy is not leaving us behind; he is just expanding his horizons. It is good business for him, will be great for the poser artists to experience the Reality goodness that us D|S users have been able to have all of this time and if we have to wait a few months longer for a new version, then so be-it. I would rather wait until January anyway, maybe I will have a little bit to recover from Christmas before it releases - not to mention I will have to go buy Reality 3 for my Poser - maybe I will finally have a good reason to force myself to learn how to use it? Hmm, dunno but DAZ might want to come off of that SDK if they want to talk me into using 4.5 cause I refuse to give up my Reality.

Also, I hate to bring up the battle that has been raging on, but in a world that APPEARS to be attempting to kill off their older models, go right ahead and give Reality 3 to the Poser community first.

~ Lady Bree ~

P.S. I cannot believe that the little devil on my shoulder said to me right after my last sentence - "Yeah! Let them be the beta users before he releases it to the D|S users!" I honestly do not feel that way, can someone help me slay this demon please? LOL

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553
    edited December 1969

I can get decent renders in poser 2012 with IDL, but I am all about the technical aspect and knowing that firefly is biased rendering just puts me off when i have the unbiased option of luxrender (or Octane or maxwell).

Reality forced me to get a grip on DS and with DS4 pro, I find I rather enjoy it over poser for the most part. The smoothing modifier and collision option alone (not to mention Genesis) make my workflow zoom along. While I will get Reality for poser, this makes me wonder how much I'll actually use it now, LOL.

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

There is no reason to believe that the creation of a Reality for Poser will result in any lessening in support for DAZ Studio. In fact the Poser version (and subsequently Reality 3 for DAZ Studio) is built on a new technology which will enable Paolo to easily create a version of Reality for any host application. This means that it is no great burden to maintain versions of Reality for multiple platforms.

As I understand it, Reality 2.5 (for DS 4.5) is in the testing stage and will be released fairly soon. There will be no new features in 2.5, merely compatibility with DS 4.5 (e.g. DUF handling).

This is just my personal view, but it seems likely that releasing Reality to a whole new user base (and a potentially large one) at the same time as releasing Reality with abundant new features to an existing user base would be too much of a burden for Paolo, which may be why he is staggering the releases fairly substantially.

Paolo has said that Poser users are getting Reality 3 first because DS users already have Reality 2 whilst Poser users have nothing.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

I understand that he hoped to have it into QC this week.