Suggestion for Daz Weekly Freebies

ReneWReneW Posts: 123

We have a lot of talented artists here who create freebies that they offer on other sites.  Rather than putting a bunch of really ancient items on the Daz Weekly Freebies section, maybe Daz should invite these artists to submit their freebies here instead.

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,046
    edited January 2022
    As limited time freebies instead of 'In perpetuity'? An interesting idea, may be right for some freebie creators, but not I, I feel.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • ReneWReneW Posts: 123
    edited January 2022

richardandtracy said:

As limited time freebies instead of 'In perpetuity'? An interesting idea, may be right for some freebie creators, but not I, I feel.

Back in the early days of DAZ, when Dan Farr was the President, they used to have a freebie archive where you could download any current or past freebies (similar to Renderosity).  They weren't just limited freebies like now.

Post edited by ReneW on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,046
    edited January 2022

I don't recall seeing that - might have done, just don't recall it. When I downloaded freebies regularly from DAZ in 2005 I think there were two freebies a week. One I do miss, the space bike in my scene below:

That was downloaded during the 2 a week and then disappear forever period IIRC. Image file date is 2005. Note sure if it was Poser 4 or DS 0.7 beta, as I did change over in 2005 to an early DS beta before pausing DS from 2006 to  2019.

Anyway, I do support the idea of an open free repository available in perpetuity. If there could be QA checks prior to approval, so much the better. And suggested file locations etc etc, too. Anything reasonable to increase the quality and consistency of the freebies has my vote.

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited February 2022

Except that would defeat the purpose of the "bi-weekly" freeebies - to draw in customers.  The products used are supposed to catch buyer attention and generate interest in the for-sale items available on the site.  That's why they're limited time freebies instead of perma-freebies.

That said, I do agree that newer products should be focused on instead of generation 3 or 4 era items.  I'm sure there are plenty who find Henrietta Hen cute but that product isn't a great example of what DAZ Studio can do.

Post edited by nightwolf1982 on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 846
    edited February 2022

As a freebie creator, it's tough to decide where to submit your stuff for download. I used to put my stuff on Renderosity alone, and then I realized that there's a whole community I was missing out on DeviantArt, so now I post there too. Adding another would be annoying, in my opinion. 

The good news is that there is a wonderful freebie Wiki that is updated regularly at https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page and it lists things from all over.

Post edited by perlk on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646

Thank you perlk for mentioning the wiki. Perlk is correct we do list all sorts of freebies that are not warz or torrent sites. We keep things legal. If DAZ has decided to retire their bi-weekly freebie offerings you can still get a fix by wandering in the wiki. If you have suggestions for improving the site you can comment, on the site or here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/536176/poserdaz-freebie-site#p1.

We still have a long way to go. There are only three of us that are really active on the site so unfortunately we are not all inclusive yet but we do have 13,000+ pages. We do identify gateways, such as Share3d, Renderosity, PoserAdicts, artist's websites and such. Things may be changing but other doors have open. The attached image is a sampling of some of the freebies we have identified. The background is a snap of a gallery of G8F dresses. The thumbs scattered around are different props, characters. We identify both current and past items. If it is no longer legally available then we tell you.

Image2.jpg
    1000 x 555 - 123K
  • richardandtracy said:

I don't recall seeing that - might have done, just don't recall it. When I downloaded freebies regularly from DAZ in 2005 I think there were two freebies a week. One I do miss, the space bike in my scene below:

That was downloaded during the 2 a week and then disappear forever period IIRC. Image file date is 2005. Note sure if it was Poser 4 or DS 0.7 beta, as I did change over in 2005 to an early DS beta before pausing DS from 2006 to  2019.

Anyway, I do support the idea of an open free repository available in perpetuity. If there could be QA checks prior to approval, so much the better. And suggested file locations etc etc, too. Anything reasonable to increase the quality and consistency of the freebies has my vote.

Regards,

Richard.

That was one of the old Freepository Items, which stayed as a freebie once released. I started using Daz Studio during the Beta and it and several other items were already in the Freepository. Though a lot of the Freepository items were add ons, it helped greatly having quality free items to use when starting out. (I recall there was a Freak addon that was a character set to turn him into Darkness from the film Legend, A hijab for V3, the hover bike, various pose sets, and a lot of props meant to be add ons or companion items to products in the store) I think Spuggles was one of the last Freepository items (Released as a companion figure for the then new Hiro 3). Sadly the Freepository was shut down when store software was changed and it switched to the rotating weekly freebie system which were purchased for free through the store, and if you missed them they switched to pay items (Which eventually switched to "free with purchase" unless PC member) and then the Weekly Freebie category came later (without the purchase requirement, and largely made up of older products rotating in and out, but still purchaseable through the store for no cost) at first changing out weekly, then switching to every two weeks. 

DollyGirl said:

Thank you perlk for mentioning the wiki. Perlk is correct we do list all sorts of freebies that are not warz or torrent sites. We keep things legal. If DAZ has decided to retire their bi-weekly freebie offerings you can still get a fix by wandering in the wiki. If you have suggestions for improving the site you can comment, on the site or here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/536176/poserdaz-freebie-site#p1.

We still have a long way to go. There are only three of us that are really active on the site so unfortunately we are not all inclusive yet but we do have 13,000+ pages. We do identify gateways, such as Share3d, Renderosity, PoserAdicts, artist's websites and such. Things may be changing but other doors have open. The attached image is a sampling of some of the freebies we have identified. The background is a snap of a gallery of G8F dresses. The thumbs scattered around are different props, characters. We identify both current and past items. If it is no longer legally available then we tell you.

@dollygirl - I'm happy to help maintain if you need; I use this ALL THE TIME.

edited February 2022
    Post edited by DollyGirl on

I'll request a login and update it - there are a lot you're missing!!!

Yes sadly so. To much to do and too few of us. The wiki is a big dream. We want pictures. We want organization. But there are only three of us who work on it consistantly and we are not full time. We have help from time to time. But if you do your own freebies that is one less thing to do. I can help if you need it. 

DollyGirl said:

Yes sadly so. To much to do and too few of us. The wiki is a big dream. We want pictures. We want organization. But there are only three of us who work on it consistantly and we are not full time. We have help from time to time. But if you do your own freebies that is one less thing to do. I can help if you need it. 

Thanks. I had a problem creating an username. I posted to miraheze but they didn't reply. When they do and I can login, I'll definitely help out where I can.

edited February 2022

perlk said:

DollyGirl said:

Thanks. I had a problem creating an username. I posted to miraheze but they didn't reply. When they do and I can login, I'll definitely help out where I can.

This is a link to Rob who is the administrator and approver of accounts. User:Robkelk - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org) Once on the page look down the left side and find "Email this user" it will be under Tools. He can get you set up. You might have a very long wait going through Miraheze.

Post edited by DollyGirl on