Light up face from below?

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

I have every light product imaginable. 

But I want to light up the face from below, with intense colored light, as if the figure is gazing into a crystal ball.

None of the products do this that I own... they light from above, side , front, behind, off to distance, or whole figure.

There has to be a product to do this. I don't want to mess with a spotlight because they are a pain and many steps to accomplish.

If anyone knows of a product to do this let me know please. Seems like such a simple premise, I'm surprised no one has created something like this already.

See attached, which I took great lengths to accomplish and need a product to accomplish this in one easy step.

Also, is there a crystal ball gazing pose, like for a fortune teller?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

So where is the light supposed to be coming from? the ball?

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,638

FSMCDesigns said:

So where is the light supposed to be coming from? the ball?

Doesn't really matter, as long as it's coming from below to light up the face as pictured.

I have products to load a face light or figure light like this one, but none light from below, upward.

https://www.daz3d.com/ptf-legendary-lights

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Spooky and Dramatic HDRIs has some I like, although they're neon colors. If you're looking for more neutral colors, Luminosity Drama uses mesh lights and has several options. 

This one is the only one I have found so I guess this is what I will use:

https://www.daz3d.com/spooky-dramatic-lights-iray-hdris

It has lights from below.

02-spooky--dramatic-lights-iray.jpg
    1300 x 1127 - 191K

plasma_ring said:

Spooky and Dramatic HDRIs has some I like, although they're neon colors. If you're looking for more neutral colors, Luminosity Drama uses mesh lights and has several options. 

Thanks! 

Just create a plane from the primitives menu and apply an emissive shader. You can then place it whereever you want and control the light strength.

I just did that with this image. Not the same, but you get the idea

lighting.jpg
    588 x 849 - 250K

FSMCDesigns said:

Just create a plane from the primitives menu and apply an emissive shader. You can then place it whereever you want and control the light strength.

I just did that with this image. Not the same, but you get the idea

Thank you. I will try that. 

1. Spooky HDRI

2. Primitive plane + emmissive shader

3. Spot Light

I still prefer the spotlight. But I just wish it was easier to position every time I need this effect with different figures. I have a tough time with spotlights.

Wish an artist could create a spotlight that moves with the figure, like walking through a cave with flashlight effect, etc.

spooky.png
    669 x 669 - 487K
    primitive.png
    669 x 669 - 526K
    light.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
  • plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

KindredArts has some products like that, like this one or the PureLight sets. The PureLight products come with a wearable camera that has rotation controls and I ended up using it a lot for convenience. 

von Hobo said:

1. Spooky HDRI

3. Spot Light

I still prefer the spotlight. But I just wish it was easier to position every time I need this effect with different figures. I have a tough time with spotlights.

Wish an artist could create a spotlight that moves with the figure, like walking through a cave with flashlight effect, etc.

Spotlights are very easy to position, just click the spotlight in the scene then go to your cameras and select the spotlight. Now you can see exactly what it is looking at and position as needed.. As for moving with the figure, just parent the light to the figure.

80% of the utlities in the store are just things in DS that a user can do themselves

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,145

FSMCDesigns said:

von Hobo said:

1. Spooky HDRI

3. Spot Light

Spotlights are very easy to position, just click the spotlight in the scene then go to your cameras and select the spotlight. Now you can see exactly what it is looking at and position as needed.. As for moving with the figure, just parent the light to the figure.

80% of the utlities in the store are just things in DS that a user can do themselves

Yeah, I really don't understand the OP's aversion to spotlights. They're by far the easiest way to do what they're trying to do.

Gordig said:

FSMCDesigns said:

von Hobo said:

1. Spooky HDRI

3. Spot Light

Yeah, I really don't understand the OP's aversion to spotlights. They're by far the easiest way to do what they're trying to do.

Having a really difficult time figuring out these instructions.  Click the spotlight then "go to the camera" and select the spotlight? Doesn't clicking the spotlight already select it?

See what "it" is looking at? The spotlight or the camera?

Is it possible to spell this out a little better for a newbie like me? surprise

plasma_ring said:

KindredArts has some products like that, like this one or the PureLight sets. The PureLight products come with a wearable camera that has rotation controls and I ended up using it a lot for convenience. 

Thank you! I have the PureLight so I will take another look at it. Maybe it can do what I want for this. 

von Hobo said:

Gordig said:

FSMCDesigns said:

von Hobo said:

1. Spooky HDRI

3. Spot Light

Having a really difficult time figuring out these instructions.  Click the spotlight then "go to the camera" and select the spotlight? Doesn't clicking the spotlight already select it?

When you select the spotlight in the scene, it shows up in the cameras menu. You can then select it and you are looking right at what the spotlight is looking at. When you move the spotlight, the view moves with it.

FSMCDesigns said:

von Hobo said:

Gordig said:

FSMCDesigns said:

von Hobo said:

1. Spooky HDRI

3. Spot Light

When you select the spotlight in the scene, it shows up in the cameras menu. You can then select it and you are looking right at what the spotlight is looking at. When you move the spotlight, the view moves with it.

understood thank u

i will try this tomorrow. it sounds easy wink 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,258
    edited January 2022

A simple workflow:

1. Create your scene (pose your character, dress it, add the general lighting, props, environment etc...)
    2. Create a primitive such as a sphere, scale it to a workable size, and position it so it is on the character's chin
    3. Parent the primitive to the character's head and turn off visibility for the primitive
    4. Add a spotlight and in the Parameter settings, have it point at the primitive using the Point At command
    5. Position the spotlight so it is on the ground and point it upward at the foot of the character
    6. Adjust the spread, intensity, and color of the light and position the light to illuminate as much of the face as you like

An example:

light_below.jpg
    1578 x 1257 - 646K
    Post edited by nemesis10 on

nemesis10 said:

A simple workflow:

1. Create your scene (pose your character, dress it, add the general lighting, props, environment etc...)
    2. Create a primitive such as a sphere, scale it to a workable size, and position it so it is on the character's chin
    3. Parent the primitive to the character's head and turn off visibility for the primitive
    4. Add a spotlight and in the Parameter settings, have it point at the primitive using the Point At command
    5. Position the spotlight so it is on the ground and point it upward at the foot of the character
    6. Adjust the spread, intensity, and color of the light and position the light to illuminate as much of the face as you like

An example:

Thanks! Too bad you can't just point a spotlight at the character's head instead of having to create a sphere below the chin. 

I've tried pointing a spotlight at a character's head and it's no different than pointing it at the figure. It doesn't seem to recognize individual body parts. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Why not just make the primitive Emissive?

edited January 2022

Fishtales said:

Why not just make the primitive Emissive?

That works too. 

But can you direct the light from a primitive since it is not a light?

I used a small sphere here and gave it an emmissive shader. But I don't understand how to increase the luminance of a shader as is possible with a spotlight. 

I just moved it close to the face to increase the light effect.

I also don't understand how to make the sphere invisible. When I click the eye in the scene tab, the sphere disappears but so does the emmissive shader effect. That could be why Nemesis10 said to just point a spot at the primitive, so you can then make the primitive invisible.

asdf.png
    1200 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by vonHobo on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,258

Oh, you can just point the camera at a body part but the trick is that it can't be the head, for example, because that would tell the light to face the head at a perpendicular rather than glancing which is what you want to accomplish.  An emissive primitive gives you a nice diffuse glow while a spotlight allows for a focused glow.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433
    edited January 2022

... how to increase the luminance of a shader

Emissive-Shader_01.png
    672 x 574 - 96K
    Post edited by cgidesign on