Daz Studio crash 'after' closing

WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
edited December 2014 in Daz Studio Discussion

I started having this issue in DS 4.5 on my desktop (Win Vista 32bit) PC so I installed DS on my laptop (Win 8.1 64bit) and everything worked fine. Recently the issue has returned in DS 4.7 I do my thing in Studio an when I quit everything seems fine, I see my desktop and then a sec or two after DS has closed I get a crash report. It doesn't even matter if I do anything in DS, I can just open and close it and I get this every time (upon request I will give the saved report zip file)

Post edited by WhiteFox on

Comments

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

I researched your problem and for now have not found anything similar, however, are you running DS with administrative privileges or as administrator? the one other topic I have found so far (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22913/) looks like an access denial.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    edited December 2014

rolow said:
    I researched your problem and for now have not found anything similar, however, are you running DS with administrative privileges or as administrator? the one other topic I have found so far (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22913/) looks like an access denial.

Not running as admin. The really odd thing is that I don't have this issue when I use the beta 4.7. Another funny thing about the 4.7 beta is I can render using Luxus and i don't have to add any lights or cam (totally shouldn't render anything but it does) but if I try the same in the 'stable' (yeah right) version of 4.7 nothing renders using Lux
  • RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

All I can suggest at the moment is the next time it happens, click the More button to expand the view and take another screenshot and also save the Error Log. Open a ticket with the DAZ helpdesk fully explaining the problem and attach both images.

edited December 2014

rolow said:
    All I can suggest at the moment is the next time it happens, click the More button to expand the view and take another screenshot and also save the Error Log. Open a ticket with the DAZ helpdesk fully explaining the problem and attach both images.

I have already done that before posting here. Daz responded a couple of days ago with a 'fix list' of procedures to correct the problem, but the crash still happens. UPDATE: I just now received an email from Daz saying "I'm going to consult with QA regarding this issue and will let you know if I find anything out. " Hopefully they'll find a solution. Till then I'm using 4.7 beta.
    edited December 1969

I think I should feel honored about this situation, it seems as though I just might be the only person in the entire world that this has happened to :lol:

edited December 1969

It turns out I'm not the only one having this issue now. Perhaps now, if the other person created a support ticket, someone will start working on the problem. :roll:

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 2014

I've had this happen a few times also, but with earlier versions of Studio, not yet Studio4.7. However, it is not consistent. When it happens to me I freak out and go into panic mode assuming the worst. But then after rebooting and restarting studio and the scene file I was working with, everything seems to have been saved properly and the scene opens without trouble and terminates properly the 2nd time.

The commonality in our situations is that I ALWAYS run my computers (Win7, Win8 and Vista) as a "Standard" user when working with applications. I resort to the "Administrator" privileged account only when absolutely necessary for system related administrative tasks. This, I have found, seems to twist Studio's nipples during installation! (*grrr*). While installing Studio3 or 4 as a Standard user the default path for content is automatically routed to the "Administrators" and/or Public's Documents folder, not my private Documents folder. I carefully watch the installation options and correct the pathname during initial installation and for subsequent installation of new content whenever necessary. It isn't always necessary but once in a while it wants to revert back to the "Administrators" path. I've mentioned this in the forums a few times and even posted a trouble ticket for this issue but it seems to not bother anybody else.

With all the dire warnings and tragic examples of the results of people running their computers with administrative privileges all the time, people should be making sure they run as a well protected Standard user all the time instead. Other companies can design their programs to deal with the differences between Standard and Administrative accounts, why doesn't DAZ seem to think it's an issue?

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 1969

It turns out I'm not the only one having this issue now. Perhaps now, if the other person created a support ticket, someone will start working on the problem. :roll:

I created a ticket many versions of Studio ago, so don't hold your breath.

edited December 1969

I know that's right! I sent a ticket in about a problem I was having with Songbird on Oct. 1st and didn't have the issue resolved till Dec. 3rd :-/