Superhero dress to modify

Hello everyone! I have a particular question and I hope I have guessed the right department ..! smiley

So, recently I discovered that there is a uniform for Genesis 3 Female of the superheroine Samus Aran of Nintendo®, even if it is not of the highest quality.

In any case I was thinking of making a personal modification to the dress wanting to add a micro map of hex pattern (a small tileable texture) to make the dress even more serious.

Do you believe that a similar change can be made on DAZ Studio?

To make you better understand I have inserted a link below that show my intention. Thanks in advance and a hug!

https://postimg.cc/bd7dWctN

P.S. This image is not my property

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 3,646

I would make such an adjustment with a modified normal map, or bump map.

The creation of the normal map, must be done in another program, that could be an image editing program that support normal map creation.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

Or a 3D painting program such as Subtance Painter.

• CorneliusCornelius Posts: 131

And if instead I tried to insert a single image with tileable texture directly into the "textures" folder, would it be possible?

I am not sure what you mean. But adding something to the folder, doesn't change the textures being used.

ALLRIGHT! I have installed a plug-in in GIMP that allows me to open files of type (VTF), because the maps I should make the change to are in VTF format.
    So should I add this grid and apply the change directly on the normal map or bump map?

I am not familiar with VTF files.

Are you using the character in Daz Studio? And if, does the character already use both normal and bump map slots?

If one a the slots is empty, I would use that, and thereby avoid to change any maps.

If not I would change a map. Technically it is simpler to modify a bump map, as it just is a monochrome image, whereas normal uses all the colour information (it is a vector).

I would just overlay (multiply) the hexagon grid on top of the existing map and save with a new name.

OK! Thank you very much for helping!!