Help With Textures Please - Grey Leaking in?

h_3858391h_3858391 Posts: 42
edited January 2022 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some help with a texture problem Ive been having throughout a project. There's just unwanted grey bits seeping into textures around edges. In other places on the texture, I have used vectors and even tried importing them REALLY BIG and then shrinking them down but the grey remains. I've also tried thickening the borders between edges (which looks bad) but that doesn't get rid of the grey either. 

There's absolutely no grey on the texture and they look fine in Blender but I can't seem to get rid of the grey in Daz Studio. 

Can somebody give me some advice or help about how to fix it or why its happening? Would sharpening the borders help or something? 

Thanks in advance :)

Post edited by h_3858391 on

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Is it grey or tranparent with the background being grey?

• marble said:

Is it grey or tranparent with the background being grey?

Thanks for the reply.

No, there's no grey at all on the texture, nor transperency. I've also tried to use the texture as a png, tiff and jpeg but the grey remains each time. 

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • cridgit said:

It almost look like some kind of anti-aliasing; check your DAZ Studio graphics preferences and try to disable anti-aliasing?

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure if this was the preference that you meant but I went edit>preferences>interface>openGL>Hardware Anti-Aliasing? It was on so I turned it off but the grey remains! 

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

I am not sure but that might be compression artifacts.

Have a look into the settings:

Medium Threshold: Any texture with a resolution below this or equal to this value will not get compressed
    Inbetween Medium and High Threshold: Any Texture with a resolution in this range will get medium compression
    High Threshold: Any texture with equal or greater resolution will get maximum compression

Example according to the screenshot above:
    If your texture has a resolution of 1024x1024 pixel, Iray will use maximum compression on it (this happens automatically when Iray loads the texture into the video memory but has nothing to do with how you saved the texture initially). If you set the Medium Threshold to e.g. 1024 and the High Threshold to e.g. 2048 your texture will not get compressed anymore (but your scene needs more vram due to less compression in this case).

Maybe that helps but this is a guess and I might be totally wrong.

• cgidesign said:

I am not sure but that might be compression artifacts.

Have a look into the settings:

Medium Threshold: Any texture with a resolution below this or equal to this value will not get compressed
    Inbetween Medium and High Threshold: Any Texture with a resolution in this range will get medium compression
    High Threshold: Any texture with equal or greater resolution will get maximum compression

Example according to the screenshot above:
    If your texture has a resolution of 1024x1024 pixel, Iray will use maximum compression on it (this happens automatically when Iray loads the texture into the video memory but has nothing to do with how you saved the texture initially). If you set the Medium Threshold to e.g. 1024 and the High Threshold to e.g. 2048 your texture will not get compressed anymore (but your scene needs more vram due to less compression in this case).

Maybe that helps but this is a guess and I might be totally wrong.

Wow, this fixed it! Thank you so much.

This is the first time I've made my own custom asset for Daz and it's been a real head scratcher! I posted on the Daz Reddit recently for help with rigging in Daz which I had never done before either and everyone has been so helpful. I really apprecitate it. 

I'm still in the testing texture phase so, since that IS a big texture atm, if I shrink it down to those defualt parameters it should work with the default settings, although perhaps a little degraded? I'm off to test that now anyway.

Again, thank you and thanks to the other posters too who also helped me learn new parts of Daz!

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

Great that it worked. I like the DAZ community as well. A lot of people happy to help each other.