Genesis 8.1 Figures with G8 Expressions

vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

I need some help.

I am well aware that the G8.1 expressions do not work on G8 figures, and that makes sense.

But I have noticed that the other way around, G8 expressions applied to G8.1 figures, is either hit or miss.

Some of the expressions for G8 work on G8.1 and some do not.

I purchased a couple G8.1 figures and it appears most of my G8 expression library is useless on them. 

But strangley, some of the expressions work.

Is there a rhyme or reason for this?

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,032

Expressions using custom morphs will work.

Expressions using the standard expression controls of G8 will not, as those were replaced by different ones with G8.1. There is a workaround to get them working though: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/477386/how-to-get-genesis-8-expressions-working-on-genesis-8-1/p1

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

Leana said:

Expressions using custom morphs will work.

Expressions using the standard expression controls of G8 will not, as those were replaced by different ones with G8.1. There is a workaround to get them working though: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/477386/how-to-get-genesis-8-expressions-working-on-genesis-8-1/p1

Thank you! I will look into that. 

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,478

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

PerttiA said:

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

yes