What happened to NVidia DeNoiser Filter?

So, all of a sudden I've found out that I cannot use the NVidia DeNoiser filter on any renders of super-high resolutions.  For instance, I tried to render out an image at 7500x10000 (my normal comic page render size) and now the denoiser does not kick in.

I never had this issue in the past, and I can't tell if something was updated on the DAZ side or if it is the graphics drivers or what.

I'm not running out of VRAM, and my system is beefy enough to handle it (i9 10980XE CPU; 256 GB RAM; 2x Quadro RTX 8000 GPU w/ 48 GB VRAM).  Just, all of a sudden...  poof not working.

ANybody else had DeNoiser stop working for them?

Comments

• Are you sure you aren't running out of memory? The denoiser does need to run on the GPU, it doesn't have a CPU fallback, and if it's only the large renders that have the issue that does sound memory-related.

• duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585
    edited January 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you sure you aren't running out of memory? The denoiser does need to run on the GPU, it doesn't have a CPU fallback, and if it's only the large renders that have the issue that does sound memory-related.

I'm absolutely positive, because I had the same thought.  Even if I only try to render a base G8.1 at a resolution of 9000 wide by 12000 tall it fails.  As soon as I drop it down to 6000 wide by 8000 tall it works fine, though.  I was reading through the patch notes with DAZ 4.16 and it said something about NVidia denoiser being updated to specifically render better at resolutions above 8K, which seems super cooincidental to me, but even when I uninstalled DS 4.16 and loaded 4.15 the issue persisted.

I keep all of my old scenes, because this is for a comic book, and none of the full-page renders render out with denoising working anymore.  Obviously, those all worked at some point (up until about 2 weeks ago as far as I can tell), but now nothing does (well, nothing in those absurdly high resolution sizes lol).

Strange, right?

Edit to add, I know how it looks like a memory issue, so just to make sure I mentioned it I also did check the render file size and it's nowhere near the 48 GB VRAM limit I have...

Post edited by duckbomb on
  • Have you updated the driver? There's a very new one, 5xx.xx, in which the Studio driver is newer than the game ready driver and that has been problematic for some people.

Richard Haseltine said:

Have you updated the driver? There's a very new one, 5xx.xx, in which the Studio driver is newer than the game ready driver and that has been problematic for some people.

I have, and I actually think this is when the issues started, TBH.  My current version is 511.09, released on January 4.  That's the game ready one, though, since it comes through that whole "GeForce Experience" management app...  Even though I don't play games on my computer I was told this was probably the best way to stay up to date.  Do you think I should try replacing that with the newest Studio Drivers?

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try.

edited January 2022

OK, no bueno.  I checked and that's actually the highest version driver availble from NVidia, so I guess I do have the newest one.

I did download an older 4XX release from early last year (which I think was my old version up until the other day) and I'm going to try it now.

EDIT TO REMOVE CONTENT

Post edited by duckbomb on

SUCCESS!  OK, so rolling all the way back to a 4XX.xx version relased back in June of last year did the trick.  I guess it must be an issue with the newest drivers, which is a shame because the old drivers make my current version of ZBrush crash LOL.  I'll have to come up with a workflow solution to that, I guess, but at least for now I can finish off this comic issue without having to alter my render dimensions (which, in turn, would have affected the similarity of the existing pages).

BIG THANK YOU to Richard - THanks for pointing me on the right path!  I had already tried rolling back a version, but I hadn't thought to go further back until you made me second-guess the driver situation :)

Not a great fix, but a perfectly acceptable band-aid lol

• Yes, sorry - I was suggesting rolling back rather than that there was a newer driver that was better.

Richard Haseltine said:

Yes, sorry - I was suggesting rolling back rather than that there was a newer driver that was better.

OH.  THen you were SPOT on ;)