SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Yeah sorry my friends. I have been sort of out of touch. sad

My sister died of covid in November, and I had surgery the day before thanksgiving..

The surgery went okay, but I developed an infection. I am at the tail end of antibiotics, and today while going to the store to get a Christmas cactus for mom some dude hit my car and totalled two doors. I have whiplash.

I haven't felt well for a few weeks and have not been hugely inspired, but I did load up Hans today and will show some renders.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

I'm sorry to hear about everything that you've gone through this past month, and I hope things improve soon.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949

I too am so sorry ,sometimes life is not kind . Adding you to my prayer list hope you don't mind . Virtual hugs .

Thanks for your kind words. It is odd how things pile up all at once. But my motto is to continuously move forward, even if it is slow progress, it is progress. 

edited December 2021

Okay Hans... Hans is hot. I like him. I'm not sure why he gets any hate, but, he's super hunky.  He comes with Male and Female elements. He has fiber mesh brows but they don't appear to load with the HD version, but he painted on ones look pretty durn good. I'm a fan.

HANS.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 959K
    HANS2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 979K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,034

I don't hate Hans, but I have absolutely no interest in him, because to me he just looks generic as hell.

Speaking for myself I-personally really want more basic handsome men. With m8.1 mixing badly genesis 8.1 kinda doesn't have enough mixable basics.  I tend to use such characters more than the really unique figures such as Ollie, but it is nice to have a balance.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

You have had a terrible run of misfortune. I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your sister. That is awful. I hope you are getting over your own illness and whiplash and will be feeling better soon. Your Hans renders look great.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Serene Night said:

Yeah sorry my friends. I have been sort of out of touch. sad

My sister died of covid in November, and I had surgery the day before thanksgiving..

The surgery went okay, but I developed an infection. I am at the tail end of antibiotics, and today while going to the store to get a Christmas cactus for mom some dude hit my car and totalled two doors. I have whiplash.

I haven't felt well for a few weeks and have not been hugely inspired, but I did load up Hans today and will show some renders.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems of late. My condolences about your sister's death.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,746
    edited December 2021

I'm so sorry to hear that... how awful. my condolences.

Post edited by Hylas on

Gordig said:

I don't hate Hans, but I have absolutely no interest in him, because to me he just looks generic as hell.

I agree that Hans looks a tad generic but I don't think that's always a bad thing.

I'm kinda thinking Hans might have made more sense as the new Michael 8.1.

I love M8.1 but his look is quite specific, very American country boy. He doesn't entirely make sense to me as a continuation of the previous Michaels.

They could have released him as Colt/Hunter/Tucker 8.1 or some such.

Not that any of that reeeeally matters in the end... I'm just rambling laugh

I agree, and thanks.

I have made no bones that I dislike m8.1 for his resemblance to a certain politician.frown

But that said, he just simply isn't versatile which to me is what I need from m8.  Both Boyd and Owen use original m8. Unfortunately m8.1 is more of a character actor than a versatile blending character. It is not surprising that no real figures released since m8.1 use his genetics, because his head really doesn't blend well. It's too short/squat to work as a blend in.

I think Hans will do a far better job since his head is not thatstrange shape.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

I'm very sorry for all of your misfortunes. I've had episodes like that in my life, too, where multiple bad things pile on. I, too, had surgery, for example, and then, about a week after the surgery I was rushed to an ER with an infection as a consequence of the surgery. I hope that things will be looking better for you soon.

Thanks, yeah, it is a major pain when everything dogpiles on you. I try not to let stuff get me down, but sometimes there are just no good happenings to report! 

edited December 2021

There are tons of poses featuring characters crawling, but it's hard to find anything for them to crawl through that is cramped my go-to is this old poser Lunar Station Air Duct. What I like about it is it has a lot of mat zones.  I don't use the original textures but just a nice plain metal texture on the shaft, and an emissive on the glass. 

I also really like the Digi-flare iray flare prop. It is a fun emissive prop. The flare has a smoke panel, but I found it bisected Owen too much in an obvious manner, so I just hid it and used Rons' War Elements to ad some smoke. 

Infiltration.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    edited December 2021

If you haven't tried the arcane filter, it is pretty fun 

https://huggingface.co/spaces/akhaliq/ArcaneGAN

It does have a tendency to give everyone larger luminous eyes, larger noses, and darker skin. It looks cool though. Now if I could get a commercial version to do larger pics, it would be awesome. .

boyd-2.jpg
    450 x 450 - 199K
    boyd-11.jpg
    422 x 422 - 117K
    edited January 2022

On the subject of men's releases, the Orc Warrior for Genesis 8 Male is quite nice and I really like it.

Don't let the name fool you, it isn't just for Orcs, it works nicely for elves and other humanoids as well. 

Here I put the standard outfit on TAV. The set includes weapons, a hand pose (which I did not use here), and two colors one is dark brown the other Black. 

I hope to see a texture expansion. Excellent work.

Tavandras3.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1016K
    Tavandras.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited January 2022

Here's the JRH DForce Jason Sportswear outfit. 

The sleeves and the lower legs can be removed to make a sleeveless top and bike shorts if you desire. What can't seem to be removed is the darker cuffs mid-thigh which I find really distracting. When the suit is shortened those are cuffs of the shorts, but they just look weird to me on the full-length leggings because they are of a different fabric.  They also don't have a mat zone, so I couldn't recolor to match the rest of the suit. crying

I do like the set, so this omission is an issue for me unless I'm missing something. It is clearly a transition area, but the less attention called to it, the better. 

The suit comes in several colors and includes shaders. It would make a nice workout or biking outfit. 

Workout23.png
    1400 x 1600 - 1004K
    edited January 2022

On the subject of men's content releases, we have the Roman Soldier. It comes with all you see here and the included pose. Sadly, with new releases for men being so scarce, there hasn't been much to report of late, however, this is a nice surprise.

Centurian2.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited January 2022

It's an Ambush! Actually, just messing around with the Script based ATGL poses. 

Ambush0.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited January 2022

I tested out a female hair here. It wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, autofit makes the ponytail not work, and changing the scene id was not successful, since it places the hair in his forehead. You can kind of work around that, by hiding the autofit ponytail and placing a second one that you parent, and hide everything else.  The hair is cute, if you want a fluffy ponytail style. It's Oot's 2021 hair 7

Noor-1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 994K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

Serene Night said:

It's an Ambush! Actually, just messing around with the Script based ATGL poses. 

Those ATGL poses are just great. 

yeah, I like them. I wish they'd update the scripts though to work with both g8 and g8.1 it is a pain to use them with different figures, and having to toggle the script using a workaround is irritating. 

edited January 2022

So did pickup the Senator Greaves bundle mostly for his outfit. The set includes the character, clothing, some poses, and weaponry.

Let's start With Greaves. 

Greaves is an older male presenting figure and includes skin and genital materials for both females and males.

Thoughts:

• His skin is heavily scarred, and he seems to have some top surgery or strong markings under his pecs.
    • He desperately needs HD to go with all these interesting skin details but HD is sold separately and costs 19 bucks. 
    • I really like his opaque blind eye
    •  I really don't like the default-loaded lashes or brows. They are very stark to me, and simply look untextured. 
    • Included poses are somewhat ordinary. 

As a character he's okay, but I'm not loving the figure, as he really isn't useful without HD. Also those brows and lashes don't work for me. They need to be darker, and less like untextured hair. 

Senator Greeves.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 798K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Serene Night said:

So did pickup the Senator Greaves bundle mostly for his outfit. The set includes the character, clothing, some poses, and weaponry.

Let's start With Greaves. 

Greaves is an older male presenting figure and includes skin and genital materials for both females and males.

Thoughts:

• His skin is heavily scarred, and he seems to have some top surgery or strong markings under his pecs.
    • He desperately needs HD to go with all these interesting skin details but HD is sold separately and costs 19 bucks. 
    • I really like his opaque blind eye
    •  I really don't like the default-loaded lashes or brows. They are very stark to me, and simply look untextured. 
    • Included poses are somewhat ordinary. 

As a character he's okay, but I'm not loving the figure, as he really isn't useful without HD. Also those brows and lashes don't work for me. They need to be darker, and less like untextured hair. 

The belly button is weird too. I think the creases you noticed under the pectorals & the weird belly button are from weight loss from severely obsese to well, you see him there, about a muscular 20 BMI, but then what to I know? I'm not a MEPS physician.

The scarring too my eyes looks only partly healed but that's my opinion as I have seen people in person with scars from cuts and from fire and the deep redness isn't there near as strong after enough time in the cases I've seen.

I could use a scarred character like this one or one like Wolfgang. Which I've not decided yet, as usual, it's not urgent. With all these scarred and bad eye characters it's rather "T1 Terminator" like it seems. 

I'm guessing they don't have non-scarred options as that's increasing the work load to complete the character by a a few days I guess.

edited January 2022

Here's the new Intergalactic soldier armor for G8M-1.

It's very nice, and also oversized so, in this render, I had to dial down Boyd's muscularity down, or he would look like a giant. More thoughts to come. 

boyd-buzz.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    boys-ahoora.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 856K
    edited January 2022

I saw a comic panel someone had done just by showing different parts of the face, in this case, the mouth. I wanted to try to replicate in studio for fun, to see if the meaning could be conveyed. 

closeup.jpg
    2550 x 3300 - 5M

What program did you use to compose that?

I used Comic Life and photoshop

edited January 2022

Here is Noor, with yet another variation of hairstyle. I really struggle to find good male hairs with decent morphs, so I have taken to compiling multiple hairs and hiding surfaces to get one good hair with movement. 

The outfit here is Monster Hunter with different wrist pieces which I quite like. However, it just clips so much. It really doesn't play well with most of the morphs I used on Noor's body, so I had to dial them out. Smoothing makes it worse, and the torso and straps are one piece so if it gets funky, you are out of luck. However, once you show hidden morphs and dial out the body morphs the straps work again. It does look pretty cool though, once you get it fitting.

I like this hair combo, since I have a few braids woven in there now. 

Noor-8.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 1M