Editing face "skin" (surface) in 3D?

I've already took my chances editing a "face" skin directly into a photoshop-like program (Paint Shop Pro) with reasonable results, but I wonder: is there a software where I could edit the "skin" while "applied" to the face? It would be WAY easier to take care of the features than editing a distorted JPEG in a 2D plane.

I'm sure it's possible and feasible, but I don't know if it's something available to the "masses". ;-)

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited January 2022

Mudbox, Mari, ZBrush with some fiddling, 3D Coat or its cheaper texturing tool, [Substance Painter,] Blender does have 3D painting but the last time a Blender user psoted about it they were not keen. Even Hexagon will, though it doesn't let you paint across seams.

Edited to add Substance Painter to the list

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • alaltaccalaltacc Posts: 151

I've played around with Blender (yes,, it is as funny as it sounds - I followed a toturial to create a donut and, although my donut was pretty passable in the end, that was it ;-) ) But I understand that editing the skin there would mean a lot more than simply opening the texture file to edit (as I do in a 2-D editor). I would need a 3D model to put the skin on and then edit it, right?

My idea would be something as simple as openin the file and the head model and then using the usual painting tools (Photoshop-like) to edit.

Am I dreaming? ;-)

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016

I like using Substance Painter, since you're able to get a perpetual license through steam rather than be forced into a subscription program. And, because it was bought by Adobe, you can use photoshop brushes inside of Substance Painter, which is a big draw for me.

• FenixPhoenix said:

I like using Substance Painter, since you're able to get a perpetual license through steam rather than be forced into a subscription program. And, because it was bought by Adobe, you can use photoshop brushes inside of Substance Painter, which is a big draw for me.

I knew I had missed one of the big ones from my list - thanks, I've added it for completeness.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038

What exactly do you want to edit about the skin?  There's lots of products at DAZ for altering skin.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

Mixer is a 3D painting app. It can be used for free for personal and commercial projects.

Note though that there are assets available (surfaces etc. which are scanned from real life objects) which are not free for commercial use.

So, you can use Mixer to create or alter textures but you cannot use the assets to create textures for sale or free products.

More here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/492861/heads-up-mixer-2021-beta-from-quixel-epic-is-available

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Blender is just fine for painting directly on a model.  The only real trick is getting everything set up the first time for each base figure that you want to work on.

• charles_2239525charles_2239525 Posts: 775
    edited January 2022

Substance painter or Blender. I like Substance a lot more, with it's huge selection of brushes and projection abilities. It can do a lot of what 3d coat does, just doesn't take all the setup hassle. 

Post edited by charles_2239525 on