OT: Gordig's DS Tutorials

GordigGordig Posts: 9,114
edited January 2022 in The Commons

Here's something I put together to accompany a project I was working on recently. Any comments welcome.

Post edited by Gordig on

Comments

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Pretty cool!
    Thanks for you time and efforts!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,514

Solid! Thanks, Gordig yes

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

thanks much

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Ah!  Good information, thanks!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,114

Does anyone have requests or suggestions for future tutorials? Also, any comments about the quality of this one? Was it easy to follow? I didn't notice until I started editing that the program I used to capture my video didn't capture the menus and pop-up windows, so should I have gone back and found a way to add those back in? How was the audio quality?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

I got lost around 6:20 when you talked about creating a face group. I didn't see anything happen on the screen.

That answers one of my questions from my last post, I suppose. That step involves right-clicking in the viewport, which Streamlabs didn't capture for whatever reason, so you don't see anything happening.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009
    edited January 2022

Thank you, very nicely done. For oneself it sure is easier/faster than rigging from scratch which tends to get rather overwhelming for me anyways.

I forget the exact terminology, but right-clicking on a bone should have an option to move the mesh to match those endpoints.

Question: After all the rigging is in place, is this then where one memorizes the rigging, then uses ERC freeze, then saves the figure?

Audio was fine.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited January 2022

I'm not sure what you're referring to with your first point. As for ERC freezing, I didn't do any on this model, but you wouldn't necessarily even need the mesh to be weighted before doing that, as long as the joints are where they need to be. It would certainly be a lot easier, though, because without the weighting, you wouldn't have a reference for whether your morphs/poses were accurate. I didn't find it necessary to memorize the rigging, either, although maybe someone can chime in on why I should have done that. 

edit: thinking back on it, one of the things I did that I didn't include in the video was change the rotation on some of the joints to get the skeleton into a closer approximation of Dog8's default pose, then memorize joint rotations. Should I have included that as well?

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,009
    edited January 2022

Gordig said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to with your first point. As for ERC freezing, I didn't do any on this model, but you wouldn't necessarily even need the mesh to be weighted before doing that, as long as the joints are where they need to be. It would certainly be a lot easier, though, because without the weighting, you wouldn't have a reference for whether your morphs/poses were accurate. I didn't find it necessary to memorize the rigging, either, although maybe someone can chime in on why I should have done that. 

edit: thinking back on it, one of the things I did that I didn't include in the video was change the rotation on some of the joints to get the skeleton into a closer approximation of Dog8's default pose, then memorize joint rotations. Should I have included that as well?

Rigging from scratch, going by a tutorial sold in the store, involves having an .obj in the scene, using the geometry editor tools then to group all the areas for bones, make surfaces, etc., then export out that .obj including "groups." Then using the Figure Skeleton Setup Pane to bring in that, the new .obj, and rig it. Manually adjusting a bunch of bones to be in the right direction, etc. Eventually then applying "create" to make the figure appear in the scene. Then switching back to the bone editor tools and/or geometry editor tools or whatever is needed including all the weight mapping stuff to get it polished as desired. A few more steps I'm sure, then finally saving out the figure. If one survives the process, the end product is theirs to use and/or sell or share. {assuming one has also made their own mesh of course} 

For prop type riggings I found an easier route but for creature figures one would want to use the aforementioned route, or the route you have illustrated.

Including a note about the joint rotations and memorizing them, could be included perhaps if you make another video with the missing pop-ups.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

I started recording another tutorial today, then hit an unexpected snag that stopped me in my tracks. I was able to troubleshoot it, so tomorrow I'm going to review my footage to see if I can pick up where I left off, or if I should just start from scratch.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited January 2022

Future Videos?
    I'd love one that goes into depth on how to get rid of the boob cling that comes with the auto fitting of clothing.  Yes, yes, I know there are programs that help with this, and I have a few (Fit Control etc), but I don't get as much success as they seem to get on the infomercial.

If you have ANY tricks on that, I'd REALLY really really really appreciate it.

Post edited by Chumly on

Chumly said:

Future Videos?
    I'd love one that goes into depth on how to get rid of the boob cling that comes with the auto fitting of clothing.  Yes, yes, I know there are programs that help with this, and I have a few (Fit Control etc), but I don't get as much success as they seem to get on the infomercial.

I could look into that. I almost exclusively use dForce clothes, so I don't have to deal with this problem myself.

My current plans for tutorials are sharing textures between Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1, and a dForce hair explainer, so they're both kind of FAQtorials, if you will.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

Thanks for a detailed tutorial.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2022

Gordig said:

Chumly said:

Future Videos?

I could look into that. I almost exclusively use dForce clothes, so I don't have to deal with this problem myself.

My current plans for tutorials are sharing textures between Genesis 3, 8 and 8.1, and a dForce hair explainer, so they're both kind of FAQtorials, if you will.

I did mention in another thread that dForce is not always the answer. The problem is that the distortion of the cloth due to the cling effect becomes part of the drape and dForce doesn't smooth out that distortion. This is most noticeable in smock-type dresses which are not fitted to the bust but rather hang down loosely.

Post edited by marble on