An interesting discovery.

kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
edited January 2022 in The Commons

...a number of months ago I picked up this from the Daz store.

https://www.daz3d.com/nuclear-power-plant-control-room.

Little did I realise this is based on an actual real world structure known as the the Kelenföld Power Station in Budapest Hungary. While predating nuclear power generation by about 4 decades  it did serve a power generating plant, at the time. the  most advanced and largest one of its day. The station was built near the centre of the city in 1914 with the control room added in 1927 and has survived both world wars intact.  I came across it in a video about incredible abandoned places that I saw earlier on Youtube today.

Here's the real thing: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3712380/Locked-time-Europe-s-advanced-power-station-art-deco-facility-lies-abandoned-tribute-power-electricity.html

Would love to see a model of the exterior as well (see photos at the end of the article) given it's art deco design.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

very cool find

• What a great discovery to come across, thanks for sharing it.

I'm glad to read the real thing is a protected heritage site, it's definitely worth saving. Did they really consider that little hut in the middle as a "blast shelter"? Doesn't look like it would stand up to very much force!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Wow!

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited January 2022

I didn't see that in the store, but I'm familiar with the place (read about it)... the structure with a roof in the control room is actually a bomb shelter (I think there are a couple of other similar shelters within the facility) where the workers were supposed to seek shelter in the event of an air raid.

As far as I know the original plant was a coal burning facility and was never converted to nuclear in this particular timeline/universe, but it definitely looks like it would make a great James Bond kinda set or something more steampunk.

EDIT: Never mind, ColinFrench beat to the point on the bomb shelter thing.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

ColinFrench said:

Did they really consider that little hut in the middle as a "blast shelter"? Doesn't look like it would stand up to very much force!

I believe those were added in the mid or late twenties (I could be wrong)... At that point they still might have stood up to an air raid... by the 30s not so much, as the whole floor would have probably collapsed... but maybe the idea could have been to protect people from falling glass too... not necessarily a direct hit.

• They were added during the 1940's nastiness after the country was invaded under orders from Berlin. There is an 'Abandoned Engineering' programme that features it, saw it last year. Quite remarkable.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I like the vibrant colors intended to keep bored workers alert and awake.

• Had that but havent' used it yet. Good find, really cool!