Content gatherer and file sorting and saving scenes question {ANSWERED}

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited January 2022 in The Commons

Content gatherer and file sorting and saving scenes question ...

I save completed scenes using content gatherer because I often have to re-access files months or even years later to create a scene for a book's equal. Or sometimes due to computer failures or system changes breaking the links, which Daz depends on to re-open scenes. But over time, I rearrange my content filing structure to make it more work-for-me friendly. As a result, when I re-introduce the gathered folders to my content folder so my old scene will open properly, that stuff gets thrown outta whack from my current content folder structure.

My question is, once the scene is successfully reopened, can I move those reintroduced elements into my desired spots and re-save my scene and retain those links so the scene can be opened again later?

Post edited by WillowRaven on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,469

WillowRaven said:

ut over time, I rearrange my content filing structure to make it more work-for-me friendly. As a result, when I re-introduce the gathered folders to my content folder so my old scene will open properly, that stuff gets thrown outta whack from my current content folder structure.

What do you mean with "I rearrange my content filing structure", which files, the ones in Data\, Runtime\ or the rest of the stuff that's called "User Facing Files"?

As far as I know, only some scripts are interested in the location of User Facing Files, otherwise the geometry is loaded from Data\ and the textures from Runtime\Textures\ and the rest is saved inside the savefile/scenefile.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

I reorganize my figures, props, and poses in both daz library and runtime library to make things easier for me to find when I want them. Of course, when there is a system change, the data and texture files can't be 'found' either. 

So this scene I opened, I can move the elements where I want them and it will still 'find' them?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,469
    edited January 2022

Files in;
    [Content Library Name]\Data\
    [Content Library Name]\Runtime\Support\
    ​[Content Library Name]\Runtime\Textures\
    ​[Content Library Name]\Runtime\Geometries\

Must be put to those folders as they have been, the rest can be moved (Ok, maybe not the [Content Library Name]\Scripts\ either) and assuming Poser is no longer used with the same content.

Edit: Added the Poser Geometries folder in case Poser assets were used.

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

thanks ... awesome :)

• You can use categories to arrange things, or links. However, if you do move files and folders then you could place all the gathered content in a separate content directory, then clear that out when done - no need to disturb your main, organised, content directory at all.