Will there be a Lee 8.1 and Edward 8.1 eventually?

Lee and Edward were probably one of my favorite characters from Generation 8 and while it's great that there's been a lot more diversity with the 8.1 Generation, it kind of sucks that there's been a severe lacking of asian characters, and especially a roadmap. Every week I check in, holding my breath that at least Lee 8.1 will make a comeback but alas, I keep disappointing myself for the past half year lol. =(

Unless I miss the roadmap, which I hadn't seen any since summer and it didn't seem to last that long. Really hoping Lee 8.1 will at least be teased or confirmed to be in the works, whether in the foreseeable future or soon.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

You can use Lee 8 morphs and materials on Genesis 8.1 Male. You can use Edward 8 morphs and materials on Genesis 8.1 Male. There is no need for an 8.1 version of those same characters.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,119

barbult said:

You can use Lee 8 morphs and materials on Genesis 8.1 Male. You can use Edward 8 morphs and materials on Genesis 8.1 Male. There is no need for an 8.1 version of those same characters.

While that's true, we did get Victoria and Michael 8.1, and the 8.1 upgrade is an opportunity for a new take on Lee, who is a standard character at this point. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath, since 8.1 has, aside from the obligatory Michael and Victoria updates, consisted entirely of new characters.

• Gordig said:

barbult said:

While that's true, we did get Victoria and Michael 8.1, and the 8.1 upgrade is an opportunity for a new take on Lee, who is a standard character at this point. Still, I wouldn't hold my breath, since 8.1 has, aside from the obligatory Michael and Victoria updates, consisted entirely of new characters.

They weren't "upgrades" though, they were new characters with no connection - other than the name - to any other Victoria or Michael. The same would no doubt be true of new Lee or Edward.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

DAZ is no longer reusing old names, Victoria and Michael aside. They haven't for quite some time now.

Aiko, Hiro, Monique, and Mei Lin are some of the more iconic names when it comes to core characters but for 8.1 they went with Kiko, Kota, Jada, and Clara.

Not that it really matters. I'm sure there will be a hunky Asian man and a middle-aged white gentleman at some point.

I'm in no hurry. Kwan and Christian are great, I can do without the new skin shader or UV.

Richard Haseltine said:

Gordig said:

barbult said:

They weren't "upgrades" though, they were new characters with no connection - other than the name - to any other Victoria or Michael. The same would no doubt be true of new Lee or Edward.

That's a pretty specious point, since Victoria and Michael look different from one generation to the next, as do Darius, Monique, Lee, Mei Lin and Aiko, yet each is an update (the word I used rather than "upgrade") in the sense that they bring the character up to date with the new generation. Daz called the new characters Michael and Victoria 8.1 deliberately, indicating that they are this generation's versions of those characters, however they might look.

• Gordig said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Gordig said:

barbult said:

That's a pretty specious point, since Victoria and Michael look different from one generation to the next, as do Darius, Monique, Lee, Mei Lin and Aiko, yet each is an update (the word I used rather than "upgrade") in the sense that they bring the character up to date with the new generation. Daz called the new characters Michael and Victoria 8.1 deliberately, indicating that they are this generation's versions of those characters, however they might look.

But how they look is all there is. I'm not sure how we disagree here.

Richard Haseltine said:

Gordig said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Gordig said:

barbult said:

But how they look is all there is. I'm not sure how we disagree here.

It's obviously not a perfect analogy, but Daniel Craig is still James Bond despite not looking much like Sean Connery. When Daz releases a new character called Victoria, they are telling their customers "this is what Victoria looks like now". 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

No, they used Victoria & Michael with version numbers as flagship names to make sure customers understood the DAZ 3D technology has been updated, in some ways improved, in some ways not, and sometimes with new features added to them too. The intent isn't to indicate Victoria 4.2 and Michael 4 look like Victoria 8.1 and Michael 8.1.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113

I doubt it. They only repeated Michael and Victoria names for the sake of the 8.1 upgrade, but none of the other character names seem like they're going to come back.

The majority of the base characters don't seem worthwhile to get anyway. You get more from PA characters that have HD morphs included already. Even referring to them as "base" no longer makes sense because there's really not any "[Name] for [DAZ Original Character] 8.1" anymore.