How are the genre tags in the store assigned, and by whom?

I wonder about the process of tag being assigned ot products in the store.

Example: https://www.daz3d.com/victorian-public-toilets

This products apparently has neither the "Historical" nor "Steampunk/Victorian" tags. I only stumbled upon it due to the current sale of ForbiddenWhispers' products. Even there it does not appear under those two genre tags.

Would anyone know how are the tags assigned and by whom, please?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,111

The set isn't actually steampunk or Victorian, though. It's clearly a contemporary set, albeit based on buildings that might have been constructed in the Victorian period, or at least evoking a Victorian design sensibility. Someone from the UK can probably speak more meaningfully on the topic.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,329
    edited January 2022

As Gordig says, the Victorians weren't big on strings of high colour temperature electric lighting, or on satrical warning signs with modern iconography.

Probably an old building and plumbing, but definitely upgraded in modern years - although it's possible that stuff might strip out, I guess?

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited January 2022

Gordig said:

The set isn't actually steampunk or Victorian, though. It's clearly a contemporary set, albeit based on buildings that might have been constructed in the Victorian period, or at least evoking a Victorian design sensibility. Someone from the UK can probably speak more meaningfully on the topic.

Well, even if if has a modern feel to it, it is is literally called "Victorian".smiley Anyway, I do plan to modify it to look less modern and more Steampunk. You know, "just glue some gears on it (and call it Steampunk)", as a great Youtube video explains.

While I do have to say that the "Steampunk/Victorian" tag is tad wonky on its own, I still do think that building deserves the "Historical" tag. You see, the product is quite impossible to find by any search by genre otherwise.

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

I probably would have added the "Victorian" tag if it were me, since in real life if there were a structure like that it would be still be considered Victorian architecture, even if it had been modernized long after the Victorian age... but I'd probably not add the "Steampunk" tag because it doesn't really have a commitment to steampunk other than the signs and modern lighting... like if it included lots of polished brass and copper pipes, huge questionable ductwork and inexplicable gears or the signage was in nixie bulbs, that would feel legitimately "steampunk"... but this is just modernized Victorian, which with a little bit of work could be made to pass for steampunk, but on its own is not.

Realistically, I hate it when stuff shows up in searches that is in no way or form what you asked for... take Amazon for example where you search for a specific size of lag bolt and get barbecue sauce and washing machines in your results. That's far more annoying... probably not as annoying here since tag abuse is not as big a problem (or maybe it's not to me since I still tend to use Google to search the store and rarely look at the tags).

In real life, probably 40% of the time when I finally find something I'm looking for that didn't just pop up right away, it's purely by accident and half of the time then, it's by going down a rabbit hole till you don't know how you got where you are.