DIM installs content but not DS or Postgres ?

DIM downloads content and software to a folder on NAS.
It shows everthing as downloaded and ready to install.
Unfortunately it only installs the content but fails with the software (DS and PostgreSQL)

Log entry in helper log is:

Open Archive Failed: H:/Download-Archives/Package/IM00013176-02_DAZStudio416Win64bit.zip
Open Archive Failed: H:/Download-Archives/Package/IM00018869-02_PostgreSQLCMSWin64bit.zip

H:\   is the mounted NAS folder as it appears in the local Windows installation.

The content zips are in the same NAS location and install without issues. So, it is not a problem with access to that NAS folder (opening it with Windows Explorer works and openening the ZIPs in Windows Explorer works as well). Virus Protection and Firewall logs don't show any blocking activity.

Any idea?

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Have you told DIM where to install Software?

• yes - default location program files.

• How long does it usually take to get feedback on a support ticket?

I opened a ticket 13 days ago without any sign of activity so far.

• lol, it takes some time. just be patient. 

• Ok, that's a precise answer smiley

So, I assume the range goes from some day in the future (probably shortly after end of eternaty) to never.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • There are a lot of factors at play so its not easy to make a generalization... The biggest catch is the nature of the question you are looking for support on.

To quote the IT Crowd, "Have you tried turning it on and off?" > Usually you get a response in a day or two.

If its a involved technical problem with a PA product, it could be weeks to investigate and communicate.

• Thanks all. Post was about Studio and PostgreSQL not installing. Lets see if there will be an answer.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • cgidesign said:

Thanks all. Post was about Studio and PostgreSQL not installing. Lets see if there will be an answer.

What sort of error are you getting? I've gotten this on and off in the past.

What I have done in the past:

Start DS. Go to the Content Library. Activate the pull down menu (usually the button in the far right upper corner of the window, looks like a bunch of stacked lines). Select Stop CMS. Then select Start CMS.

If that doesn't work, and you use DIM to install, locate PostgreSQL and uninstall, then reinstall it. Also confirm that you are using the right version (up to date, 32 / 64 bit, etc.)

Usually the first fixes my problems. Very rarely I need to do the second step.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited December 2021

cgidesign said:

Ok, that's a precise answer smiley

So, I assume the range goes from some day in the future (probably shortly after end of eternaty) to never.

Some of the older forumites refer to this timeframe as "DAZ Soon"...

According to the "Glossary of Terms"*which I wrote around thirteen or so years ago...

"DAZ soon: 1- A general good natured attempt at relating an unspecified or incomprehensible time frame to human understanding. 2- An expression of a theory in quantum physics where time actually stops. 3- Equal to or greater than a Epoch. 4- Wishful thinking."

Basically I wouldn't hold my breath... not just because whenever I do it people think I'm dead and try to bury me, but it's probably not good for you and it really won't help the situation.

*For the curious, the glossary can be found here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/glossary-of-terms-for-those-new-to-digital-art-and-daz-3d#latest 

Post edited by McGyver on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I would say don't get your hopes up. My experience with tech support here has been there is usually a long delay and sometimes issues never get solved. Sorry.

• Jason Galterio said:

What sort of error are you getting?

I asked in nuts and bolts, but maybe not many people saw it there.

DIM downloads content and software to a folder on NAS.
    It shows everthing as downloaded and ready to install.
    Unfortunately it only installs the content but fails with the software (DS and PostgreSQL)

Log entry in helper log is:

Open Archive Failed: H:/Download-Archives/Package/IM00013176-02_DAZStudio416Win64bit.zip
    Open Archive Failed: H:/Download-Archives/Package/IM00018869-02_PostgreSQLCMSWin64bit.zip

H:\   is the mounted NAS folder as it appears in the local Windows installation.

The content zips are in the same NAS location and install without issues. So, it is not a problem with access to that NAS folder (opening it with Windows Explorer works and openening the ZIPs in Windows Explorer works as well). Virus Protection and Firewall logs don't show any blocking activity.

• Okay, that's an entirely different situation than I thought you were having...

I assume you already did the obvious things, like checking that those to archives aren't corrupt?

Personally, if those are the only two items where this is crashing, I wouldn't spend that much time trying to fix it.

I would copy the two to an empty directory locally. Point DIM to that secondary directory temporarily. Install these two. Then point DIM back to your NAS directory.

Sometimes you have to pick your fights and I imagine you're not going to get a solution for this from Tech Support. It's just too specialized a situation and they probably can't / won't recreate it.

• Threads merged.

• cgidesigncgidesign Posts: 433

@Jason Galterio

you are right, different situation. Moving the downloads to a local folder worked. Seems so, the daz developers do not follow the guides how to create installers for Windows. I have installed numerous softwares directly from the NAS and never had an issue with it. Only studio fails. Maybe they do some unsusual hacks about how to use the system account and privilages when launching the installer. But in the end no big problem - the users find workarounds.