DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Ha ha, I wish I were as lucky as you to get that far. Of course I'm trying to use an old scene I did. My goal is to re-render and see if the render quality is any better that way.

Well, this will probably sound disappointing to you, but "render quality" is not going to change unless you change shaders or render settings. "Render quality" is all about the user, not the render engine.

What a new version of render engine may change implicitly is rendering speed and actual available functionality (but again, to make use of said functionality, you will have to write new shaders or at least update old ones).

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 1969

Okay, after reading through the all of the posts, I haven't found an answer so I'm asking. It is such a small convenience that maybe no else cares, but in Daz 4.6 when I right clicked on a scene the option box that popped up had a deselect option. In Daz 4.7, deselect seems to be missing. If I have a really full scene with a skydome, I have nowhere to click on the background to deselect an object. Now I have to go under the scene tab and right click on an object and then click on the deselect option.

I realize it isn't much, but it was convenient to be able to make small adjustments and then deselect with just a click of the right mouse button. Is there a way of modifying the popup to have the deselect option put back in or not? Is there some other new way of deselecting an object that I may not know about?

You can hold down the ctrol key (cmd on a Mac) and click if you want to deselect one node out of several selected, or you should have a Clear Selection command in the right-click menu that will deselect everything.

Since you seemed to indicate that the Clear Selection should still be there, I experimented. Yes, it is an option still available when I click on a figure like the Genesis 2 Female and the Daz 2 Horse which I have been working on since upgrading to 4.7. However, when I click on any other object like the ground or sky or any plant props that I have added to my scene, the Clear Selection just isn't there. I have no idea why. At least, now I know what to do to clear a selection without going through the scene tab.

Someone might want to look into that, though.

DazPrtScr.png
    800 x 600 - 580K
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Yes, it is an option still available when I click on a figure like the Genesis 2 Female and the Daz 2 Horse which I have been working on since upgrading to 4.7. However, when I click on any other object like the ground or sky or any plant props that I have added to my scene, the Clear Selection just isn't there.

Maybe it's as straightforward as the difference between a figure and a prop? The right-click calls up a context menu, remember, not a fixed menu — what that means is, what you get in the menu depends on what kind of object the pointer's selecting. Looking at your screenshots, I can see a couple of other options not present in the prop menu, "Select figure root" and "Fit to...". Both of these are meaningless if the thing you've selected isn't a figure.
  • Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited November 2014

IPR not working on my end. It's just render about 5% of the scene, then stuck. CPU still rendering but the IPR window does not progress at all.
    Normal viewport render is fine.

I've tried to lower render quality to it's lowest, still no luck. Tried progresive and non-progresive render, and result are the same. It's always stuck at 1-5%

I'm using AoA lights and AoA SSS shader for that scene. With no background props or whatsoever, it's really a simple secene where only G2F to render.

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

]-3. time to time, I lose the general parameters in the parameter tab. Only one solution: save the scene and switch off - switch on Daz. :(

This and 2 do sound like either bugs or some kind of local corruption. I would open a support ticket.

Parameter tab is indeed buggy in more than one way. See my earlier description here.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

I love the IPR and the real transparent background, but I hate the new undockable bars, once undocked its near impossible to redock them again. I also hate the new Render Settings tab why did you have to split it up.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,197
    edited December 1969

Yes, it is an option still available when I click on a figure like the Genesis 2 Female and the Daz 2 Horse which I have been working on since upgrading to 4.7. However, when I click on any other object like the ground or sky or any plant props that I have added to my scene, the Clear Selection just isn't there.

Maybe it's as straightforward as the difference between a figure and a prop? The right-click calls up a context menu, remember, not a fixed menu — what that means is, what you get in the menu depends on what kind of object the pointer's selecting. Looking at your screenshots, I can see a couple of other options not present in the prop menu, "Select figure root" and "Fit to...". Both of these are meaningless if the thing you've selected isn't a figure.

I think this is a bug - it looks as if, in building the context menu, the Clear Selection command is dropped instead of the Select when right-clicking on a prop. Please report it.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    One more question - how do I turn off the function that moves the viewpoint when I try to navigate in the content tree. I enter the tree and press P to reach PEOPLE, the only thing happening is that the viewpoint hickups. L also causes the viewpoint to jump. Other key seems to take me down in the tree all right, but this is very frustrating. Now I'm back to scrolling like mad instead, and it feels so 2004.

Shift-K will toggle the keyboard navigation off and on - or there's a little keyboard icon on the toolbars if you use the defaults.

Thanks, Richard!

• Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

I love the IPR and the real transparent background, but I hate the new undockable bars, once undocked its near impossible to redock them again. I also hate the new Render Settings tab why did you have to split it up.

Couldn't agree more, the new render setting tab is annoyingly frustrating. For what reason they must split it up. It's not effective, they only have few option there on render setting tab, you don't need to split them up.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

In the Render Settings pane, if you click on the Editor tab then All, you will be able to see nearly all the settings all at once (I think with the exception of those you will find in the Advanced tab.)

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited November 2014

I finally downloaded and installed DAZ 4.7 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F6u5TIUbI

:)

The new Keyboard/Mouse navigation is awesome! And the Aux Viewport with the IPR option will certainly be really helpful. The default Darkside style is also very nice, it was an excellent idea offering the option to compress all those parameters down as much as possible (as the description says, allowing us to focus on *the scene* - great job!)

City Limits Lite is also a very good balance with the UI, I think I'll be using it from now on. All the updates like Back to Base, truly transparent backgrounds and the rest sound like they will really make using DAZ even better.

It is INCREDIBLY refreshing to see a software product where an upgrade actually *makes it better*, rather than just changing things to change things. Thank you very much!

Post edited by ChromaDrake on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

LOL That was quite appropriate!! :-)

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 2014

NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Here is what my problem is with the Dragon. When I double click the icon, Studio gives me an error message.

That's \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\SubDragon. Since it should be placed at the same time as rest of the SubDragon files I'm sure what is wrong - if you right-click on the SubDragon icon in Smart Content and select Show in Content Library, is it found?

Yes, where it had been all this time, or at least I think so. For the pre-Studio 4.x, it had been found there, but when it became part of the Genesis Starter Essentials, it was placed in /DAZ 3D/Studio3/content/Animals/Millennium SubDragon/SubDragon LE.duf. Studio 4.5 and 4.6 both had found it there, but not 4.7

Oracle

Is the content under Program Files? If you are using Windows 7/8/Vista that could be the problem.

Yes, I'm using Windows 7, but no, it's not in the Program Files, it's in the separate content folder in My Documents.

Please disregard this issue. It was a human error, and not a Studio error. LOL. The Mil SubDragonLE is the one I use to access the SubDragon for the Dragon Slayer tutorial, the other SubDragon is the one with the morphs and everything that I purchased, but I may have to reinstall, due to an accidental delete on my part. LOL.

This is something that I'm hoping is happening to other people besides me. The background is the viewport for 4.7, and the foreground is the render coming from it. Now, initially I thought it was a memory issue, so I checked, and my computer's specs overtake what is necessary for 4.7. I had been running 4.6 and having additional windows open (like a video, the internet, and maybe even a word processing document or two open) with no problems.

I also wanted to ask, is anyone else getting that 'Not Responding' error, and having long wait times before Studio starts running again?

Thank you
    Oracle

M4_test_3.png
    1151 x 758 - 380K
    Post edited by NV Oracle on
  • MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Grrr... I cannot fathom why some of the changes I'm dealing with would be made. I make paper minis and have a set of lights and cameras I use for each sized mini; load them and render.

Only now there's no background in the renders. The default was always white, and now the images render with a black background.. WTF? How could that possibly be considered a good thing? What purpose could it possibly serve to have your figure meld with the background?

Along with that, I use a set of seven lights. When I render a scene, I select all the lights and go to the Parameters tab and select invsible. Bam, all the lights are off and what I have is a black sihlouette of the figure on a white background, perfect for making a MASK in Photoshop.

Only now you can't select multiple items and turn off their visibility at the same time, but instead have to manually click through each items tabs, and then when you're done you get an entirely black image because there's no way to add a backdrop or change the background color!!! I don't want to put a fricken prop in every scene to do this, who the hell would?

Am I alone in thinking it's important for an image to not be produced on a black background? I was turning out full processed character renders and full paper miniature designs in about 2 hours from loading a blank figure to slapping that mini into a final .pdf... now my workflow is completely shot...

edited December 1969

Grrr... I cannot fathom why some of the changes I'm dealing with would be made. I make paper minis and have a set of lights and cameras I use for each sized mini; load them and render.

Only now there's no background in the renders. The default was always white, and now the images render with a black background.. WTF? How could that possibly be considered a good thing? What purpose could it possibly serve to have your figure meld with the background?

Along with that, I use a set of seven lights. When I render a scene, I select all the lights and go to the Parameters tab and select invsible. Bam, all the lights are off and what I have is a black sihlouette of the figure on a white background, perfect for making a MASK in Photoshop.

Only now you can't select multiple items and turn off their visibility at the same time, but instead have to manually click through each items tabs, and then when you're done you get an entirely black image because there's no way to add a backdrop or change the background color!!! I don't want to put a fricken prop in every scene to do this, who the hell would?

Am I alone in thinking it's important for an image to not be produced on a black background? I was turning out full processed character renders and full paper miniature designs in about 2 hours from loading a blank figure to slapping that mini into a final .pdf... now my workflow is completely shot...

Sorry, I'm not usually one to rant, but these are my issues. No background and no affecting multiple selections.

edited December 1969

You can still have a background, whether a solid color, an image of your choice, or transparent (which would allow you to merge your rendered image with another image in a photo editor if you wanted to.) These options have simply moved to a new pane, the Environment pane. (Windows > Panes > Environment, then change the dropdown to Backdrop .

edited December 1969

You can still have a background, whether a solid color, an image of your choice, or transparent (which would allow you to merge your rendered image with another image in a photo editor if you wanted to.) These options have simply moved to a new pane, the Environment pane. (Windows > Panes > Environment, then change the dropdown to Backdrop .

Well that's great, thanks for the heads up.. Why in the world would this be considered necessary?

Just like why would it be considered a good idea to remove the ability to change the status of multiple selected items at once?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Well that's great, thanks for the heads up.. Why in the world would this be considered necessary?

Just like why would it be considered a good idea to remove the ability to change the status of multiple selected items at once?

There are a pair of settings in the Parameters pane options, "Consolidate Properties" and "Display Separate Items" -- if they're both checked, uncheck "Display Separate Items", then you can change parameters for multiple selected items at once.

edited December 1969

There are a pair of settings in the Parameters pane options, "Consolidate Properties" and "Display Separate Items" -- if they're both checked, uncheck "Display Separate Items", then you can change parameters for multiple selected items at once.

Thanks.

Neither was selected.. Is this something that was always there? I've been using D|S 4.6 since last year in April and it's never been on my radar...

• ctoth_f252e93682ctoth_f252e93682 Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Hello. I don't know if anyone from Daz3D will read this, but I just worked around a software conflict with the content management service (CMS). I updated my PC from Daz Studio Pro 4.6 to 4.7 earlier today. Everything slowed down (though browsing the internet was reasonably okay). Windows would open, minimize, restore and close in slow motion. Even rebooting my computer and shutting down my computer was oddly slower. After rebooting several times and working through a few options, I learned I had to disable the CMS from booting up. Now things are running back to normal.

I have no idea if there's a conflict with my antivirus software or my display drivers or some other driver. I am not that knowledgeable with computers to isolate which drivers are conflicting with each other. And I know other users are using Daz Studio 4.7, so it is something specific to my computer (and perhaps a few other Daz Studio users).

It looks like Windows 7 is up to date. I have a Kaspersky update I could install plus I have an annoying java update to install. Plus I could check to see if my display drivers could be updated. After that's done, I'll try again, but I'm not sure it will work.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

tothc said:
    Hello. I don't know if anyone from Daz3D will read this, but I just worked around a software conflict with the content management service (CMS). I updated my PC from Daz Studio Pro 4.6 to 4.7 earlier today. Everything slowed down (though browsing the internet was reasonably okay). Windows would open, minimize, restore and close in slow motion. Even rebooting my computer and shutting down my computer was oddly slower. After rebooting several times and working through a few options, I learned I had to disable the CMS from booting up. Now things are running back to normal.

I don't know what might cause this or a fix (maybe somebody else does), however two points to note:

One, if you have disabled the CMS, you won't be able to use your database.

Two, there is a second database available. The old database (the one that runs all the time, called Valentina), and the newer (and hopefully better) PostgreSQL database, which only starts up when DS (or another application that uses it) starts up. I'm guessing you are using the older database; you could try using the new one to see if that bypasses the issue, although perhaps it will still have the same problem. If you decide to try the new one, make sure to back up your old database first before changing it!

• ctoth_f252e93682ctoth_f252e93682 Posts: 4
    edited November 2014

I don't know what might cause this or a fix (maybe somebody else does), however two points to note:

Two, there is a second database available. The old database (the one that runs all the time, called Valentina), and the newer (and hopefully better) PostgreSQL database, which only starts up when DS (or another application that uses it) starts up. I'm guessing you are using the older database; you could try using the new one to see if that bypasses the issue, although perhaps it will still have the same problem. If you decide to try the new one, make sure to back up your old database first before changing it!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm likely still using the Valentina database. I saw the PostgreSQL download and thought I didn't need it, so I didn't download it. Previously, the CMS was part of the main program installer.

Thanks about the tip about backing up my database. Sounds like some people may have had problems. :) I'll give it a shot hopefully tomorrow!

Post edited by ctoth_f252e93682 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

tothc said:

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I'm likely still using the Valentina database. I saw the PostgreSQL download and thought I didn't need it, so I didn't download it. Previously, the CMS was part of the main program installer.

Thanks about the tip about backing up my database. Sounds like some people may have had problems. :) I'll give it a shot hopefully tomorrow!

Just to clarify, you want to use "Content DB Maintenance > Export User Data" -- that will enable you to re-import metadata and get all your custom categories and tags if PostgreSQL wasn't able to read the information from your Valentina database. Installing PostgreSQL CMS doesn't do anything to your old Valentina database, and the Valentina CMS isn't uninstalled and continues to run. Once you know that PostgreSQL CMS is running correctly on your machine, you can disable or uninstall Valentina CMS. The two known issues with PostgreSQL CMS are:
    1) Carrara 8.5 general release only uses Valentina (the Carrara beta which was released recently uses PostgreSQL), and
    2) PostgreSQL does not get along with ZoneAlarm (not just CMS but any PostgreSQL database) -- it's a long-standing issue since 2009 which ZoneAlarm hasn't shown any inclination to fix.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Neither was selected.. Is this something that was always there? I've been using D|S 4.6 since last year in April and it's never been on my radar...

For quite a while. I think I first ran into this "issue" aka feature when migrating from DS3 to DS4 (I wasn't an early adopter, so it must have been 4.n already). I found the right combo to make the Parameters behave. In my case, it might have been reset once or twice with new DS versions, but not by this update.

• Turk_WLFTurk_WLF Posts: 177
    edited December 1969

I have a question that will weight heavy weither I get DS 4.7 now or later, how well does it play with Carrara 8.5 Pro & Hexagon 2?

Thanks,

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Turk_WLF said:
    I have a question that will weight heavy weither I get DS 4.7 now or later, how well does it play with Carrara 8.5 Pro & Hexagon 2?

Thanks,

Nothing has changed there.

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Here is what my problem is with the Dragon. When I double click the icon, Studio gives me an error message.

That's \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\SubDragon. Since it should be placed at the same time as rest of the SubDragon files I'm sure what is wrong - if you right-click on the SubDragon icon in Smart Content and select Show in Content Library, is it found?

Yes, where it had been all this time, or at least I think so. For the pre-Studio 4.x, it had been found there, but when it became part of the Genesis Starter Essentials, it was placed in /DAZ 3D/Studio3/content/Animals/Millennium SubDragon/SubDragon LE.duf. Studio 4.5 and 4.6 both had found it there, but not 4.7

Oracle

Is the content under Program Files? If you are using Windows 7/8/Vista that could be the problem.

Yes, I'm using Windows 7, but no, it's not in the Program Files, it's in the separate content folder in My Documents.

Please disregard this issue. It was a human error, and not a Studio error. LOL. The Mil SubDragonLE is the one I use to access the SubDragon for the Dragon Slayer tutorial, the other SubDragon is the one with the morphs and everything that I purchased, but I may have to reinstall, due to an accidental delete on my part. LOL.

This is something that I'm hoping is happening to other people besides me. The background is the viewport for 4.7, and the foreground is the render coming from it. Now, initially I thought it was a memory issue, so I checked, and my computer's specs overtake what is necessary for 4.7. I had been running 4.6 and having additional windows open (like a video, the internet, and maybe even a word processing document or two open) with no problems.

I also wanted to ask, is anyone else getting that 'Not Responding' error, and having long wait times before Studio starts running again?

Thank you
    Oracle

I just wanted to bring this one to someone's attention. I think it got missed yesterday. LOL.
    Oracle

• ChromaDrakeChromaDrake Posts: 288
    edited December 1969

This is a very important tidbit of information! Thanks.
  • ebauer01ebauer01 Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

How do I get Daz Studio to 'see' third party content?

Do I need to do something with the database??

For example - I added a bunch of poses and although the directories are there, the poses don't show up.

-Eileen

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,142
    edited December 1969

ebauer01 said:
    How do I get Daz Studio to 'see' third party content? Do I need to do something with the database?? For example - I added a bunch of poses and although the directories are there, the poses don't show up. -Eileen

Was the third party content in a hierarchy which showed what needs to be placed where? Where did it tell you to place your files and did you refresh? http://prntscr.com/5cda58 Right click on like DAZ Studio format and you'll get that menu and you can choose refresh.