DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• Torgan ArtTorgan Art Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    torgas said:
    Anyone know where you can reset the background color. It appears to have been removed from its normal location?

The Viewport background color (that you see in the viewport while working) is set in Window>Style>Customize color. That doesn't appear in the actual render, though.

What will actually be at the back of the render is set in the (new) Environment Pane. Window>Panes(Tabs)>Environment, where you can set a solid color or an image.

(If you don't set an Environment pane, then the render will have a transparent background - not the color set for the background color - which will appear as a checkerboard pattern in the render window, but is actually transparent.)

Thanks David. I understand it won't show in the render, and that it's been changed to transparent, however I have a black background currently and using black hair, and cannot tell any details. Thanks again for the hint. I looked around and couldn't find it.

• ChasmalimChasmalim Posts: 15
    edited November 2014

I don't know if I'm doing this right but oh well. I was a fan of 4.6 and now that I have updated to 4.7 the animations that I used in 4.6 no longer work. I got them from another website so I could not use the daz install manager, what I have noticed when trying to install them is that the new daz3d has scripts alongside the animation file that the old animations , which are for Victoria 4 and Michael 4, do not have. Is ther something I have missed here or do I have to get completely updated animations, and why doesn't the marketplace have a search filter that would allow you to find these new animations easier?

Post edited by Chasmalim on
  • NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    Here is what my problem is with the Dragon. When I double click the icon, Studio gives me an error message.

That's \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\SubDragon. Since it should be placed at the same time as rest of the SubDragon files I'm sure what is wrong - if you right-click on the SubDragon icon in Smart Content and select Show in Content Library, is it found?

Yes, where it had been all this time, or at least I think so. For the pre-Studio 4.x, it had been found there, but when it became part of the Genesis Starter Essentials, it was placed in /DAZ 3D/Studio3/content/Animals/Millennium SubDragon/SubDragon LE.duf. Studio 4.5 and 4.6 both had found it there, but not 4.7

Oracle

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:
    Here is what my problem is with the Dragon. When I double click the icon, Studio gives me an error message.

That's \Runtime\Libraries\!DAZ\SubDragon. Since it should be placed at the same time as rest of the SubDragon files I'm sure what is wrong - if you right-click on the SubDragon icon in Smart Content and select Show in Content Library, is it found?

Yes, where it had been all this time, or at least I think so. For the pre-Studio 4.x, it had been found there, but when it became part of the Genesis Starter Essentials, it was placed in /DAZ 3D/Studio3/content/Animals/Millennium SubDragon/SubDragon LE.duf. Studio 4.5 and 4.6 both had found it there, but not 4.7

Oracle

Is the content under Program Files? If you are using Windows 7/8/Vista that could be the problem.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Maybe I have missed it going through these last 25 pages but if you are upgrading from 4.6 to 4.7 do you need to re-download the Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, GoZ, etc or just the DS4.7 upgrade?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    Maybe I have missed it going through these last 25 pages but if you are upgrading from 4.6 to 4.7 do you need to re-download the Genesis Starter Essentials, Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, GoZ, etc or just the DS4.7 upgrade?

The 3 Starter Essentials packs have added content, but they aren't required, the existing content hasn't changed. I would get the updated plugins. however, in case there are added features or bug fixes.

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

Thanks fixmypcmike, that's what I needed to know.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited November 2014

After one+ year absense from DazStudio, IPR made me take the plunge to update from 4.5.1.6..

Report: overall upgrading to 4.7 is surprisingly trouble-free. My Workplace and hotkeys actually keep, custom morphs sliders remain, my 3 Content Libraries across 3 drives still there, GoZ works! Wow! Smart Content and Categories:Default and even Content Library folders are less nonsensical now that they have stuff in them to communicate their purpose. Addition of many new cool features and noob guide on entry. Yes there will be moved features treasure hunt challenges ahead, but a few manuals seem to have finally sprouted after 3 years - highly encouraging signs!

All in all, nice progress. Keep up the good works Daz people. :)

Probably useful for other Win7.64 users upgrading from 4.5 - here are my upgrade steps (pls correct me if I’m wrong). Update DIM first. Then install PostGreSQL Valentino yadda. Then 4.7. Then the plugins and product updates.

Oh and it’s supposedly not advisable to keep more than one DS v4+ in the system. But my 4.5 is still there after 4.7 installed itself, and 4.7 seems to run alright so far. Not sure I should keep 4.5 as backup? Please advice.

Now onto misc bugs. Small ones first.

- Changing backdrop’s background color/image inconsistent - sometimes it takes a few camera changes before aux viewport catches up with change. Fastest workaround: press IPR stop then start IPR.
    - Parameters sometimes just freeze/irresponsive. So far noted this with standard Lights (Light menu works per normal) or even blank Genesis selected. Spontaneously Parameters will behave again later.
    - Content Libraries folders load seemingly empty and take a few seconds to load the files. Freaked me out at first. No such issue with 4.7 smart content, or my 4.5 content libraries.

Biggest bug so far, unfortunately, is the most important new feature for me:Intermediate OpenGL animation/movie render.. Thought it’s finally possible to have quick-enough animation shadow preview in DazStudio, apparently not yet...

Ref: 2yo Xeon RAM12G Win7-64, GPU GTX Titan latest driver, SSDs only.

Enviroment backdrop:background color on.
    Scene: vanilla Genesis, primitive plane colored, distant light shadow on.
    Render setting: widescreen 16:9 preset. Short simple arm lift animation 20 frames 30fps.
    Movie:AVI. Hit Render. Default compression.
    OpenGL basic no issue (no shadow just like main viewport). Presumably shadowlessness is expected with 4.7 OpenGL animation too.
    Intermediate OpenGL produced a playable video file with distortion issue, using same settings as above.
    3Delight with default settings, render same animation into movie with no issue (slow, with shadow).
    (See video frame grab pics below)

Issue isolation order and variables:
    Intermediate OpenGL rendering still image or image series with same settings, no issue. (All output to same drive/folder)
    Noted the named videos (just blank black) exist in output folder. Decided to used new file names for subsequent test outputs.
    Adjust compression rate. Use the other compression schemes. Same distortion issue.
    Backdrop image on/ off. Same.
    Render settings: dimension preset changes, contraint on/off. Same.
    Switch on Preference: per pixel shading. Same.
    Render setting: Advanced: pixel to 16. Same.
    Nvidia control panel: 3D settings: added 4.7 to custom, turned everthing to Application Control or Quality or On. Same.

I’m not fussy with render quality, just want to make some cartoon-resolution animation videos with basic shadows along the line of Poser’s real-time occlusion. I prefer to stick with more familiar Daz though. Please fix this ASAP please?

3Delight on the left, Intermediate OpenGL on the right

dazrenderipr.png
    1310 x 414 - 71K
    Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • edited December 1969

Is there any way of using spot rendering in conjunction with IPR? ie. can you restrict the IPR pane to only update a user-specified section? If not, would it be possible to add this option?

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

torgas said:
    DavidGB said:
    torgas said:
    Anyone know where you can reset the background color. It appears to have been removed from its normal location?

The Viewport background color (that you see in the viewport while working) is set in Window>Style>Customize color. That doesn't appear in the actual render, though.

What will actually be at the back of the render is set in the (new) Environment Pane. Window>Panes(Tabs)>Environment, where you can set a solid color or an image.

(If you don't set an Environment pane, then the render will have a transparent background - not the color set for the background color - which will appear as a checkerboard pattern in the render window, but is actually transparent.)

Thanks David. I understand it won't show in the render, and that it's been changed to transparent, however I have a black background currently and using black hair, and cannot tell any details. Thanks again for the hint. I looked around and couldn't find it.

If you save the rendered picture as a png it will turn transparent. In all other cases, like tiff, jpeg it becomes black nowadays.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    torgas said:
    DavidGB said:
    torgas said:

If you save the rendered picture as a png it will turn transparent. In all other cases, like tiff, jpeg it becomes black nowadays.

That's not correct.

Granted my first answer wasn't precise. To be precise, if you save the rendered picture in a format that supports alpha channel transparency, then the background will be transparent; that includes tiff as well as png. If you save it in a format that does NOT support an alpha channel - like jpeg - then the background will be black.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

DavidGB said:
    Herakleia said:
    torgas said:
    DavidGB said:
    torgas said:

That's not correct.

Granted my first answer wasn't precise. To be precise, if you save the rendered picture in a format that supports alpha channel transparency, then the background will be transparent; that includes tiff as well as png. If you save it in a format that does NOT support an alpha channel - like jpeg - then the background will be black.

I think that varies by viewer/editor - Photoshop opens tiffs as flattened images with a solid background and an alpha channel that can be sued to select the actual geometry - the basic flattened image looks odd because all of the edge pixels around the object have the object colour, so that selecting and floating will still give a halo-less result. Both PNG and Tiff are handled in different ways by different applications.

edited December 1969

Marko731 said:
    Is there any way of using spot rendering in conjunction with IPR? ie. can you restrict the IPR pane to only update a user-specified section? If not, would it be possible to add this option?

Not as far as I know. To make a feature request in a form that can be logged and tracked open a support ticket for technical Support, putting something like DAZ Studio Feature Request in the subject line.

edited December 1969

I don't know if I'm doing this right but oh well. I was a fan of 4.6 and now that I have updated to 4.7 the animations that I used in 4.6 no longer work. I got them from another website so I could not use the daz install manager, what I have noticed when trying to install them is that the new daz3d has scripts alongside the animation file that the old animations , which are for Victoria 4 and Michael 4, do not have. Is ther something I have missed here or do I have to get completely updated animations, and why doesn't the marketplace have a search filter that would allow you to find these new animations easier?

Are you applying the animations to the figures they were made for or to another figure? What format are they in - Poser .pz2 files, DS presets (.dsa or ,duf), or are they AniBlocks?

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    NV Oracle said:

Oracle

Is the content under Program Files? If you are using Windows 7/8/Vista that could be the problem.

Yes, I'm using Windows 7, but no, it's not in the Program Files, it's in the separate content folder in My Documents.

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

Well, my two cents about 4.7 so far. Downloaded it a couple of hours ago. 20+ crashes and counting.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

I've not has much problem so far -- although I keep being thrown by minor changes in the intervace.

4.7 is no better than the last couple of versions about remembering where the shader textures are, though.

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited December 1969

Ha ha, I wish I were as lucky as you to get that far. Of course I'm trying to use an old scene I did. My goal is to re-render and see if the render quality is any better that way.

• peteVaultpeteVault Posts: 308
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm...I think I'll wait a bit. I use Octane Render a lot and I don't want to lose that.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

I'm having an issue where my cursor disappears/loses its cursor image and won't reappear even though I can keep working, which used to be a somewhat common irritation in earlier versions, but hadn't been a problem in later versions of 4.6. Now it's happened to me several times in 4.7 making me think this has returned. Anybody else have this happen? Using OS X Yosemite and 64 bit DS.

Now that I notice it, I'll try to pay closer attention if there's anything specific that triggers it.

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited December 1969

Anyone having an issue with random patterns of green across a character's skin when rendered? I used the Gia Tiziana texture and I get this... This was rendered with an advanced spotlight and an advanced ambient light in DS 4.7 Not sure if it is 4.7 causing it but I never had this before i loaded 4.7.

This is even worse now than it was before, I am about to go back to 4.6 until all the bugs are knocked out of it. I need to get an image done here and every time I try i get that screwy pattern all over her.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 1969

Okay, after reading through the all of the posts, I haven't found an answer so I'm asking. It is such a small convenience that maybe no else cares, but in Daz 4.6 when I right clicked on a scene the option box that popped up had a deselect option. In Daz 4.7, deselect seems to be missing. If I have a really full scene with a skydome, I have nowhere to click on the background to deselect an object. Now I have to go under the scene tab and right click on an object and then click on the deselect option.

I realize it isn't much, but it was convenient to be able to make small adjustments and then deselect with just a click of the right mouse button. Is there a way of modifying the popup to have the deselect option put back in or not? Is there some other new way of deselecting an object that I may not know about?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Okay, I went through all 26 pages. I'm not seeing answers or questions that tell me what I want to know. Hopefully I didn't miss it. If so, I apologize in advance.

question one:
    11) Render Settings Pane - Completely revamped this pane to be consistent with other parameter based panes. Adjustments to render settings are now undo-able as a result.

I want an explanation of what this means. Saying use CTRL+ Z doesn't explain what it means.

question two:
    And the Render settings panel had been asked about several times- what the heck is all that stuff under Presets / Render Settings? You have Promo, Render Settings Best, Render Settings Preview, Dragon Slayer, Fiery Genesis stuff- where is all this explained?

And how do I get the width and height to change? I unlocked it and typed in numbers and nothing happening.

HATE this new studio layout. I can see changing some things, but making the viewport background a Window>Pane >Environment things is downright stupid- why require more steps and going to an inconvenient location! "Oh, it's at the top of the viewport and handy...let's make it further away and a multi-click location...."

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 672
    edited December 1969

Someone let me know when this stuff is all fixed. I am not getting paid to beta test this so I am going back to 4.6. already reinstalled 4.6 and I'll continue using it until I see that 4.7 works without making my textures look completely stupid.

• lennox.onelennox.one Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I didn't read all the previous messages, only some of them.
    But I suddenly feel less alone with my problems...
    I am not an expert ( I probably use only 25% of the possibilities of Daz), but I experienced several issues.
    -1. I tried the progressive render and all my textures with displacement didn't worked correctly. I made some tests and now I understand that this stuff can be cool to make tests but never to do a final render. I had black spots were it was the displacement and strange rays here and there. If I set progressive render to off, it's ok.

-2. Since I upgraded, I can't no more use the posing tab. When I select genesis, in posing it's "no selection". Impossible to change that. then I must go in my content library and open all the folder to search my poses. :(

-3. time to time, I lose the general parameters in the parameter tab. Only one solution: save the scene and switch off - switch on Daz. :(

-4. The new skin is absolutely hideous and not useful. Formerly it was less clics to do things. Now it's a mess. (But thanks to the guy who posted here a solution to go back to the previous skin: top menu=>window=>style=>select style=> ... main street looks like the forer 4.6)

I am sorry, but this new 4.7 looks terrifically like a beta or even an alpha version.

edited December 1969

Okay, after reading through the all of the posts, I haven't found an answer so I'm asking. It is such a small convenience that maybe no else cares, but in Daz 4.6 when I right clicked on a scene the option box that popped up had a deselect option. In Daz 4.7, deselect seems to be missing. If I have a really full scene with a skydome, I have nowhere to click on the background to deselect an object. Now I have to go under the scene tab and right click on an object and then click on the deselect option.

I realize it isn't much, but it was convenient to be able to make small adjustments and then deselect with just a click of the right mouse button. Is there a way of modifying the popup to have the deselect option put back in or not? Is there some other new way of deselecting an object that I may not know about?

You can hold down the ctrol key (cmd on a Mac) and click if you want to deselect one node out of several selected, or you should have a Clear Selection command in the right-click menu that will deselect everything.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    question one:
    11) Render Settings Pane - Completely revamped this pane to be consistent with other parameter based panes. Adjustments to render settings are now undo-able as a result.

I want an explanation of what this means. Saying use CTRL+ Z doesn't explain what it means.

I'm not sure what you are looking for. If you make a change to a setting it is added to the undo stack, so you could for example make one or more changes, do a test render (or watch the IPR) and then use undo to revert to your original settings. It also means that the controls behave like other controls - for example, you can do simple maths in the numeric boxes (so if you want an 8" by 10", 300PPI image you can just type 8*300 and 10*300 in the size boxes).

question two:
    And the Render settings panel had been asked about several times- what the heck is all that stuff under Presets / Render Settings? You have Promo, Render Settings Best, Render Settings Preview, Dragon Slayer, Fiery Genesis stuff- where is all this explained?

Those are some general purpose presets for common uses, plus the render settings for the various ready to render scenes - and any setting you save as a Render Settings preset should appear there too. Like the presets tab in other panes it's a quick way to get access to presets of a particular type without going through one of the dedicated content panes.

And how do I get the width and height to change? I unlocked it and typed in numbers and nothing happening.

Select your camera, go to the Parameters or Camera panes and under Dimensions check you don't have Use Local Dimensions on. That's a new feature to allow you to have different sizes in a single scene file by using multiple cameras, or to have a camera saved for special purposes without having to override your default settings.

HATE this new studio layout. I can see changing some things, but making the viewport background a Window>Pane >Environment things is downright stupid- why require more steps and going to an inconvenient location! "Oh, it's at the top of the viewport and handy...let's make it further away and a multi-click location...."

I still don't get how a pane which you get by clicking its tab (assuming you dock it, which would be sensible if you use it a lot) is less accessible than a button to launch a dialogue. But there is meant to be more stuff coming, adding which to the dialogue would have made it unwieldy (assuming there aren't reasons to have the feature in a non-modal pane instead of a dialogue).

edited December 1969

-1. I tried the progressive render and all my textures with displacement didn't worked correctly. I made some tests and now I understand that this stuff can be cool to make tests but never to do a final render. I had black spots were it was the displacement and strange rays here and there. If I set progressive render to off, it's ok.

Progressive render can be used for final renders, but it does use some different procedures so it may have issues where the other doesn't (and, I suppose, vice versa).

-2. Since I upgraded, I can't no more use the posing tab. When I select genesis, in posing it's "no selection". Impossible to change that. then I must go in my content library and open all the folder to search my poses. :(

Is this the parameter sliders in the Editor tab or the presets?

-3. time to time, I lose the general parameters in the parameter tab. Only one solution: save the scene and switch off - switch on Daz. :(

This and 2 do sound like either bugs or some kind of local corruption. I would open a support ticket.

-4. The new skin is absolutely hideous and not useful. Formerly it was less clics to do things. Now it's a mess. (But thanks to the guy who posted here a solution to go back to the previous skin: top menu=>window=>style=>select style=> ... main street looks like the forer 4.6)

The style affects only the way buttons and so on appear, it doesn't control how many clicks are needed. In fact the new default, Darkside, is more compact than the old default so you should need to do less scrolling in panes with a lot of options. Which you use is entirely a matter of taste, of course - I'm just puzzled by the idea that the number of clicks is affected.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited November 2014

One more question - how do I turn off the function that moves the viewpoint when I try to navigate in the content tree. I enter the tree and press P to reach PEOPLE, the only thing happening is that the viewpoint hickups. L also causes the viewpoint to jump. Other key seems to take me down in the tree all right, but this is very frustrating. Now I'm back to scrolling like mad instead, and it feels so 2004.

Post edited by Hera on
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    One more question - how do I turn off the function that moves the viewpoint when I try to navigate in the content tree. I enter the tree and press P to reach PEOPLE, the only thing happening is that the viewpoint hickups. L also causes the viewpoint to jump. Other key seems to take me down in the tree all right, but this is very frustrating. Now I'm back to scrolling like mad instead, and it feels so 2004.

Shift-K will toggle the keyboard navigation off and on - or there's a little keyboard icon on the toolbars if you use the defaults.