Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

wscottart said:
    My mac 10.6.8. I installed the public build through the DazDim program and I installed the 64 bit version. It is working like a charm. I still have 8.5 pro on at the same time and its is running fine. I also updated to Dazstudio 4.7 at the same time as installing the public beta. Never asked for a serial number, guess its working off my Carrara Pro 8.5 user libraries somehow.

Did you install the new "PostgreSQL" content management service (possibly part of the DAZ Studio 4.7 update)?
    I'm still using the original "Valentina" content management service that is compatible with current non-beta Carrara.

I wonder if the installation of PostgreSQL is required for the beta to function without crashing.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I have the postgreSQL installed and I do not have a problem both are still working.
    and DAZ Studio is still working as well

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

I started the latest Carrara challenge using 8.5 then switched to the 8.5beta to give it a try..

all seemed fine till content started getting into different positions.. some slight some reversed and some major..

also found that my light settings weren't holding their settings and when the project was reopened I had to adjust them all again..

so switched back to the release version and all is good again..

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 420
    edited December 1969

I use so many products I really don't know how I keep things running. but yes I have the postgreSQ installed.

Screen_shot_2014-11-25_at_6.50_.37_PM_.jpg
    1354 x 184 - 44K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

wscottart said:
    I use so many products I really don't know how I keep things running. but yes I have the postgreSQ installed.

Thanks for that info.

Since I do not have postgreSQL installed, perhaps that is the bug. The Carrara beta is supposed to function with both postgreSQL and Valentina (according to the first post in this thread).
    Perhaps DAZ has not tested it on a computer without postgreSQL.
    Perhaps a DAZ rep would like to comment?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

When I first tried the beta, I had Valentia connection in 8.5 Official release, but not in the beta. Oh... shoot... could be because I tried installing Postgre though... hmmm

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

After I got the 32-bit version working, I went back and reinstalled 64-bit. And this now works too.

But there's definitely something screwed up with its dependencies. From my observation:

64-bit crashes without PostGre installed
    With PostGre installed you only get enough UI to quit the program
    32-bit works with Postgre, but there is no smart content (I did not try 32-bit without Postgre installed)
    To get Smart content to show at all, you must rebuild the database from Studio
    Even then, Smart Content doesn't show properly
    64-bit works after you have performed the above steps in 32-bit

So what's with Smart Content? Even after rebuilding it in Studio 4.7 and verifying it there, I can only see the drill-down menu on the left - I still get no items in the right-hand pane!

Screen_Shot_2014-11-26_at_10.30_.25_.png
    1027 x 205 - 28K
    edited December 1969

BTW, I also don't see native content, but I suspect this is simply that it doesn't ship with the beta (remember it's stored inside the app bundle, so it won't be visible from a different instance). All my own user objects are present and correct.

edited December 1969

I have the smart content working as normal as it ever did.
    I'm on a windows 7 64 bit box.
    I used DIM To install. I already hsd Postgre installed for DAZ Studio 4.7 and had no issues.
    I copied the native content folders from the Release version to the Beta and then they are there.
    What you are showing is is the same as I get in some spots nomatter if i am in the released version or in the Beta,
    I normally use the alphabetical listing if I know the product then I can find it.
    I some times have to have DIM open in order to know what product o look for.
    Wish smart content had a search function lin it does in Studio.

edited December 1969

I've always had that in one or two folders - content that Carrara couldn't handle, I think. But now there is nothing in any folder. "Dumb" content is fine, and the other tabs all show content. (I haven't copied over the native content files, but I expect they'd appear if I did)

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    So what's with Smart Content? Even after rebuilding it in Studio 4.7 and verifying it there, I can only see the drill-down menu on the left - I still get no items in the right-hand pane!
    Right.
    I certainly don't find things where I would think that they belong, according to the named categories.
    Like chickenman says, you need to actually know the name of the product and select it alphabetically, or keep looking around randomly to try and find (for me, without avail) where it does reside in the Smart(?) Content listing
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Right.
    I certainly don't find things where I would think that they belong, according to the named categories.
    Like chickenman says, you need to actually know the name of the product and select it alphabetically, or keep looking around randomly to try and find (for me, without avail) where it does reside in the Smart(?) Content listing

Having the search like Studio does sure would make it easier fot find your "SMART Content"
    then jsut search Combat and all items that have the work combat or in a pruduct with the word combat would be returned.
    Much easier to find stuff then.
    shouldn't be to hard to bring it over I would hope.

edited December 1969

I have never had difficulty finding my stuff from the regular Content tab, but I look through my stuff that way a lot, so I know what I have, plus I have a nice runtime organization system for all of my Poser based content, and only use my DS Library for Triax stuff and occasional DS versions of other things - but so far I only use DS versions of Triax, nothing else.

But I agree with Chickman, the whole Smart system would probably work much better if they had a search queue. If not, perhaps an easier category system. For example, there doesn't seem to be any one place where I can find all of the Character files that I have for Genesis. But in the normal content tab, they're all right there, under People > Genesis > Characters. It just makes nice sense.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I read pages 1-3 and 7 in this thread and can't see if there's a bug-fix or enhancement list available.

For Carrara I'm primarily interested in finding any UI readability improvements and added UI customization enhancements. If any are included in this beta, then I will be happy join the testing party. If not, I will wait.

edited December 1969

From the first post.

What is new in this version?

The 8.5.1.12 version implements support for PostgresSQL and includes some bug fixes. We are well aware that we have not resolved all issues.

Public BETA 8.5.1.12 improvements are:
    1) PostgresSQL CMS - Added support for the PostgresSQL implementation of the Content Management Service (CMS). Valentina will still operate, but PostgresSQL is the preferred solution. Both can be installed on your machine at the same time, but only one will be used.
    2) Smart Content Speed Improvements - The Smart Content Browser has been optimized for both PostgresSQL and Valentina. PostgresSQL is generally the faster of the two and is on par with the performance of DAZ Studio’s Smart Content pane. This resolves one of the known issues for Carrara 8.5
    3) Fixed #CAR-70 - Fixed a vertex modeler lathe bug; segments were always 12 regardless of user input.
    4) Fixed #CAR-81 - Fixed a ring light collision crash
    5) Fixed #CAR-104 - Fixed an issue with normals being flipped on objects that are duplicated with symmetry on export
    6) Fixed #CAR-108 - Fixed an issue where using a sky crashed the application on exit
    7) Fixed #CAR-109 - Fixed an issue with the night sky setting not being remembered
    8) Fixed - Fixed an issue where Save As does not remember the path when saving non .car files.

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited November 2014

Two quick questions

Where do I install the postgreSQL file ?
    Must I have "latest" daz studio installed for the smart content to work in new Carrara 8.5 BETA ?

BY THE WAY COMMENT
    This thread illustrates that even a simple update to Carrara becomes most complex and time wasting trying to figure things out !!
    Why not just scrap Daz install manager and the Content management - I want life to be simple.

I agree with Dartenbeck - once you get a hang on Carrara's BROWSER you can make it what you want and it might serve us better if they just tried to improve that judging from the many negatives about smart content that I've read over time.

Often I can't find stuff in smart content and sometimes discover stuff I didn't realise I had ?

Post edited by 0oseven on
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited November 2014

0oseven said:
    ...Why not just scrap Daz install manager and the Content management - I want life to be simple...

DAZ Install Manager has been most reliable for me since the conversion to PostgreSQL. Life is most simple with DIM and it has already saved me tens of hours of "fiddling time". No problems here and I sure wouldn't want to "scrap it", not in a million years.

Post edited by Subtropic Pixel on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Well its good if you find the DIM so useful - The download part is ok after you figure it but the content management? To each his own I suppose. I have all my content well organised in folders and under the old install system I could put files where I wanted in a way that made sense to me.
    Now with the DIM I don't think I can do that - stuff has to go in a predetermined folder and then its auto sorted. Consequently I actually have two lots of installed content because I definitely will keep my file structure - I know where things are!

Anyhow if you can offer any advice on my two questions I would appreciate it as I will persist with it and see if it works better for me under the new Carrara beta.
    many thanks

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited November 2014

0oseven said:
    ...Why not just scrap Daz install manager and the Content management - I want life to be simple...

I agree...keep it simple. :roll:

Post edited by McGuiver on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited November 2014

I've been running the postgres CMS for a very long time, so I already have all my smart content there.
    So, I installed Carrara 8.5.1.2 on my OS X 10.9.5 machine (being a little prepared for a crash after reading through this thread).

Helmet on, here we go!

It starts, it says it's registered with my Carrara 8.5 Pro serial number.

But instead it fails to connect to my postgres CMS. I don't even have Valentina CMS running.

nocms.jpg
    591 x 102 - 21K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited November 2014

Edit: Found the solution for my question ..

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Right.

Referring back to my screenshot from that post on page 7, it's not a case that it's in the wrong place or hidden somewhere unexpected; it isn't there full stop. That location was chosen as somewhere that should be crammed with items...

This is the same listing in the release 8.5 & Valentina:

Screen_Shot_2014-11-29_at_22.21_.47_.png
    1503 x 395 - 537K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

0oseven said:

Well its good if you find the DIM so useful - The download part is ok after you figure it but the content management? To each his own I suppose. I have all my content well organised in folders and under the old install system I could put files where I wanted in a way that made sense to me.
    Now with the DIM I don't think I can do that - stuff has to go in a predetermined folder and then its auto sorted. Consequently I actually have two lots of installed content because I definitely will keep my file structure - I know where things are!

DIM and CMS are independent -- you can use DIM and not use CMS, and you can rearrange your folders after installing with DIM just like you can after manually extracting from the zip. DIM won't be able to uninstall or update it with one click, but if you manually extract from a zip you can't do that anyway. DIM can still tell you if the product was updated even if you have rearranged the folders.

edited December 1969

I actually like using DIM even if I want to move stuff to a new folder. DIM is awesome!
    I just go through my list of installed stuff and select everything I want to move and hit the Start Queue button, which uninstalls everything selected. Then I have all of that stuff either ready to download or ready to install, either way is the same. Then I make my new location using DIM, select it, select all of the stuff I just uninstalled (and anything else I want to, for that matter) and hit the Start Queue button on that tab. Super fast, and it keeps the needed data in DIM for further updates, deletion, moving around, whatever. It's just a dream for me.

edited December 1969

It runs, found the serial and connects to the postgres CMS on my Mac OS X 10.10 machine, the mystery thickens.

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited November 2014

How do you know if PostGre is working?

I can see content, but I do not know if postgre is working or not. I never saw the error Totte saw.

No reply yet from Daz about native content not showing...

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited December 1969

I can see content, but I do not know if postgre is working or not. I never saw the error Totte saw.

The tab (Smart content) is populated.
    And did you copy the native content to the new Carrara installation fromt the release one?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited November 2014

Started carrara 8.5beta with PostgresSQL CMS

Loaded Genesis toon duckie..ok

loaded toon duckie jacket .. ok
    loaded toon duckie newscap... CRASH!

ok

started 8.5Pro did same process - same steps - CRASH!

uninstalled PostgresSQL CMS
    reinstalled the Valentia updated the database via DS

opened Carrara 8.5 Pro and did the same steps - no problems all loaded ok

Started Carrara 8.5 beta --- I wish!! -- Won't startup at all - just crashes.

uninstalled beta & reinstalled... no change!
    added screen capture

CarraraBetaCrash.jpg
    641 x 485 - 377K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 1969

Totte said:

The tab (Smart content) is populated.
    And did you copy the native content to the new Carrara installation fromt the release one?

And if Postgre isn't working, how do you make it work?

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Common thread appears to be PostgreSQL is not installed or not installed correctly.

For those with the crash please check your log from either DS or Install Manager and see if it says 4.8 or PostgreSQL. If you filed a ticket, please add that information. Please let us know as that would narrow the bug significantly.