MetaMixer

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

I thought that 8 and 8.1 had the same eye geometry but different UVs.

The reason that Hans 8.1 works on Genesis 8 Male is that his morphs can be found in data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\MetaMixer\Characters\Hans 8_1. Similarly, Clara 8.1 morphs can be found in the Genesis 8 Female directory structure. These were installed by DIM when I installed the corresponding Add-ons. It was a pleasant surprise.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732

barbult said:

The reason that Hans 8.1 works on Genesis 8 Male is that his morphs can be found in data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\DAZ 3D\MetaMixer\Characters\Hans 8_1. Similarly, Clara 8.1 morphs can be found in the Genesis 8 Female directory structure. These were installed by DIM when I installed the corresponding Add-ons. It was a pleasant surprise.

Good find. Nice to know 

Tugpsx said:

barbult said:

Good find. Nice to know 

It makes these Add-ons a super bargain, I think. You get the character head shape that works on both 8 and 8.1 for a bargain basement price - much cheaper than buying the character or bundle. I have plenty of body shapes to dial in and plenty of skins to use. Unless the character is really unique, I don't think I really need to invest in another full character when I have MetaMixer and Add-ons.

@nonesuch00 Here is the video about using DAZ buitin Puppeteer and your already owned morphs to blend shapes.

https://vimeo.com/658455303

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

barbult said:

Hmmm, I thought I had read the eyes went from 1/2 spheres to whole spheres but maybe that was the jump from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8?

Anyway, the advertising says the tears have improved geometry and the irises have a highly detailed sculpt which sound like more geometry but I'm not sure.  Victoria & Michael | Genesis 8.1 | Daz 3D

Anyway, I'm wondering if we are going to get the MM morphs so they work between base males & base females like in the video. No one from DAZ 3D ever came out and said no, or yes.

Tugpsx said:

@nonesuch00 Here is the video about using DAZ buitin Puppeteer and your already owned morphs to blend shapes.

https://vimeo.com/658455303

Thanks, I will look tomorrow.

edited December 2021

nonesuch00 said:

barbult said:

Hmmm, I thought I had read the eyes went from 1/2 spheres to whole spheres but maybe that was the jump from Genesis 3 to Genesis 8?

Anyway, the advertising says the tears have improved geometry and the irises have a highly detailed sculpt which sound like more geometry but I'm not sure.  Victoria & Michael | Genesis 8.1 | Daz 3D

Anyway, I'm wondering if we are going to get the MM morphs so they work between base males & base females like in the video. No one from DAZ 3D ever came out and said no, or yes.

I submitted help request 394999 "MetaMixer does not mix male and female as shown in the videos" 22 days ago and it has been ignored. I haven't received any human response at all. I added another message to the request a couple days ago to see if I could get their attention. Nothing so far, but it is the weekend.

More detailed iris sculpt certainly sounds like geometry. Sometime I'll have to actually compare the wireframes.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 2021

I looked at the Base Resolution left eye wireframe on G8F and G8.1F. They overlay exactly as far as I can see. I don't see any difference at all. I checked both the front orthographic view and the left orthographic view. I don't believe the marketing blurb about "more detailed iris sculpt".

Request #396968

Daz marketing claim of Genesis 8.1 "more detailed iris sculpt" does not appear to be true

Genesis 8 Female left eye geometry.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Genesis 8.1 Female left eye geometry.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,408

The G8.1 tears are a separate item just like the eyelashes, and they can also be fitted to G8 with the Scene Identification

barbult said:

I submitted help request 394999 "MetaMixer does not mix male and female as shown in the videos" 22 days ago and it has been ignored. I haven't received any human response at all. I added another message to the request a couple days ago to see if I could get their attention. Nothing so far, but it is the weekend.

More detailed iris sculpt certainly sounds like geometry. Sometime I'll have to actually compare the wireframes.

If you look at the file lists for the metamixer morphs, Female ones are saved under female and Male ones under male - Mixing genders is not going to work. 

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

If you look at the file lists for the metamixer morphs, Female ones are saved under female and Male ones under male - Mixing genders is not going to work. 

Yes, that is what they have delivered. But their "How it Works" video demonstrates mixing male and female. If they are not going to deliver files that allow mixing genders, then their "How it Works" advertisement is NOT how it works. I think that is misleading.

barbult said:

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

Yes, that is what they have delivered. But their "How it Works" video demonstrates mixing male and female. If they are not going to deliver files that allow mixing genders, then their "How it Works" advertisement is NOT how it works. I think that is misleading.

As they say across our eastern border, it's "Normal..." 

edited December 2021

barbult said:

PerttiA said:

barbult said:

For sure DAZ 3D should be delivering MM how the video DAZ 3D presented to us demonstrates and how Faux2D intended MM to work. It's just head morphs after all. It's not going to hurt sales one bit and if I dare say so, it would increase sales of DO old catalogue main characters.

I am a bit surprised the wiremesh doesn't show more geometry in the eyes after the advertising blurbs. Maybe the actually highly detailed sculpts are in reality just projected normal maps for the irises?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I wonder if the Genesis 8 cross figure resource kit could be useful in getting the Metamixer cross morphs to work?

https://www.daz3d.com/genesis-8-cross-figure-resource-kit

edited December 2021

Tugpsx said:

I wonder if the Genesis 8 cross figure resource kit could be useful in getting the Metamixer cross morphs to work?

I don't think so, as that kit is about fitting items to both genders, not about transferring morphs between different genders of the base figures

In order to use the MetaMorph presets for both genders, the vertex count should be same for both and the same kind of 'trick' should be used that allows G8.1 to read G8 morphs - Otherwise the morphs for one gender should first be recreated for the other. 

Post edited by PerttiA on

Tugpsx said:

I don't think so. That is to make clothing fit both genders without using autofit. 

barbult said:

Tugpsx said:

I don't think so. That is to make clothing fit both genders without using autofit. 

Sorry wasn't clear. The product is about fitting assets but the underlying files may relate to mapping G8M to G8F. But you are both correct in that they should provide the link since it was demonstrated in the videos. 
    There is a G8M to G8F morph included so I wonder if it may be related. When I'm back at the computer I'll take a quick look. It may not do any good since as you said the bases are different. Changing the compatibility setting for the asset will have no effect unless the underlying files are also added to the meta data.  

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 255
    edited December 2021

nonesuch00 said:

Tears are a separate object, so their geometry doesn't affect morphs. (Genesis 8.1 also has different eyelash geometry, which doesn't affect morphs either because those are also a separate object.) The more detailed iris sculpt mentioned on that page is just that HD iris details morph that Victoria and Michael 8.1 have. The inner mouth sculpt is also different, but it has the same number of vertices and the same vertex order (8M up top, 8.1M below):

I'm not sure why 8.1 morphs don't automatically load on G8 figures -- it's probably a file structure thing, where G8.1 looks for G8.1 and G8 morphs and G8 only looks for G8 morphs. But it's always been possible to export a G8.1 figure and load it as a morph on a G8 figure, because they have the same topology. G8.1's new inner mouth sculpt relies heavily on HD sculpting, though, so at high subdivision levels G8.1 morphs' teeth begin to look quite weird on a G8 figure. 8.1's real innovation is the FACS face rig, though I gather that hasn't been a boon for everyone.

teeth.png
    570 x 700 - 125K
    Post edited by Ninefold on
    edited December 2021

G8.1 can read G8 morphs because in "...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female(Male) 8_1\Add-ons\Daz 3D\Base\" is a file called "DAZAddonPath.dsf", which tells DS where to look for the G8 morphs and UV's

Post edited by PerttiA on

You know the interesting thing as Faux2d pointed out. You can load a G8/1F and apply a male preset to her and visa versa. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,114
    edited January 2022

I picked up a bunch of HD addons in today's flash sale, so I thought I'd give Metamixer another shot. Only a couple of the presets show up as widgets, so I'm not entirely clear on how that's supposed to work. I also loaded three HD widgets into the Metamixer tool, and basically nothing happened, so I tried again with the regular widgets. Here is my result (Clara/Nida/Freja with Clara's skin):

Metamixed.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

Nice mix/render, @Gordig!

Are any more Metamixer add-ons forthcoming? Many of the core figures in the intro bundle were my least used character morphs. I was hoping Daz intended to provide the entire Core Figure roster, or at least the top-selling fifty percent. This would really make this a powerful technology for me, especially since I bought most of the HD Add-Ons at release.

Or is Metamixer like Carrara, Bryce, and Hexagon?

xyer0 said:

Nice mix/render, @Gordig!

Are any more Metamixer add-ons forthcoming? Many of the core figures in the intro bundle were my least used character morphs. I was hoping Daz intended to provide the entire Core Figure roster, or at least the top-selling fifty percent. This would really make this a powerful technology for me, especially since I bought most of the HD Add-Ons at release.

Or is Metamixer like Carrara, Bryce, and Hexagon?

So far it seems to be one of those items highly advertised with great fanfare and then ignored. I too was hoping for more support for existing unique character shapes, but none have appeared.

barbult said:

So far it seems to be one of those items highly advertised with great fanfare and then ignored. I too was hoping for more support for existing unique character shapes, but none have appeared.

Thanks, @barbult. I put in a ticket in case they actually have a plan or will say.

edited February 2022

I bought the Teen Kola 8 (8.1?) MetaMixer Addon (and only that, not the character or bundle). I mixed him with Juan Carlos and Holt.

MetaMixer G8M Character with Teen Kola 8 .jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M

barbult said:

I bought the Teen Kola 8 (8.1?) MetaMixer Addon (and only that, not the character or bundle). I mixed him with Juan Carlos and Holt.

Very nice character. Which skin are you using? 

Stefon with modifications to the surfaces settings to get the tone I wanted.

edited February 2022

Here is another one I made last night. I didn't even use PowerPose this time; I dialed two of the MetaMixer HEAD_ALL and the neck morphs in the Parameters pane. Then I did the adjuist rigging for good measure. I used Teen Kola 8.1 50% and Torment 8.1 50%.

Teen Kola and Torment Mix_004_PS.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M

Thanks for the renders, @barbult. You always do nice character mixes that don't look so Genesis. I guess it was Stefon's skin rather than morph that made him look sweet.

BTW, Customer Service said they assumed but could not confirm (had no idea) that more Core Figure add-ons were forthcoming.