DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

I've heard about the autofit feature since 4 came out, but have never used since I still prefer gen 4 figures. However, or this project, I HAVE to us genesis (4 arm/soomian)) and have some old m2 stuff that would look good on him, but m2 isn't an option. If I use clothes converter to convert to m4, will the autofit work then?.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I've heard about the autofit feature since 4 came out, but have never used since I still prefer gen 4 figures. However, or this project, I HAVE to us genesis (4 arm/soomian)) and have some old m2 stuff that would look good on him, but m2 isn't an option. If I use clothes converter to convert to m4, will the autofit work then?.

It should as long as you save your M4 stuff in cr2 format so it will trigger autofit on Genesis.
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Estroyer said:
    Kattey said:
    Ughm. I just mistakenly undocked viewport window. How can I put it back in the middle of the screen?

Drag and drop it on the area I dotted red in the image :)

That will ad an extra tab.
    If you want it in the middle, like it originally was, drag it to the upper edge (again where I drew the red dots)
    Hope it helped ^^

Thanks, it did :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Oops, another bug. I just submitted this report:

When I try to edit text I've typed into the Image Name field of the Render Settings, the text cursor jumps to the end of the text string each time I insert or delete a character. For example, suppose I've entered 1236789 as my image name. Then I realize I left out 45 between 3 and 6. I position my text editing cursor between the 3 and 6 and type 45. I get 123467895, because as soon as I type the 4, the cursor jumps to the end, and the 5 is entered at the end.

I see this too, please report it.

• jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Please could someone explain to me why multiple selection of items in the scene tab has changed. In 4.6 and before if you selected multiple items they would also be selected in the Parameters. Now you have to selected them in both to adjust more than one item. If this is intended it is a backward step.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

You can still have the backdrop as a guide - simply set it to not show in the render in the Environment pane. I haven't tested with a shadow catcher, but as I recall the alpha channel wasn't that useful there anyway and it was necessary to do a render with shadow catcher and a render without, then layer them.

I know I can have it as a guide, that's not the problem. I cannot render the scene with background and get my alpha channel. So I have to do as you say: Use as guide, hide bg during render, go into photoshop, hunt for bg, double-check my render size, re-size loaded bg, place render, whether I need to do further 'work' or not.

There IS a simple solution. Give us back the halo-ed alpha channel when we render with background visible. Confusion? Possibly but there's a simple answer. If you want no halo, hide the background when you render. Your choice.

That's not what I meant - if you look in the Environment pane, with a backdrop set up, there's a Visible in Render button. It works like the Visible in Render setting for objects - when set to off you can see the thing in the viewport but it won't render. You don't have to go in and turn the guide backdrop off to render, then back on after rendering.

That is so not the point I actually started crying when I read your response. I'm sorry for the confusion but context should tell you what you need to know. I've been talking about images loaded in to sit behind my scene all along.

Is it possible when one renders a scene with a background image (what it was called in 4.6) "visible in render", that we can get the old, even if haloed, alpha channel back?

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Interesting — does this mean a few more of the "under the hood" parameters are now uncovered, so we can fiddle a bit if necessary? I'm hoping to get round to updating to 4.7 sometime next week, it looks like I'll have lots of new stuff to play with.

Nearly forgot the most important thing — is there documentation of these new features anywhere?

Basically these appear to be the same parameters that appear in the DS Material brick in the shader mixer when you set it to "Skin". IIRC they used to be exposed in DS 1.x version of the default shader... people used to do "velvet" with those.

Because that's what they are, "edge blend"/"velvet"/"falloff"/"pseudo fresnel". The "sheen" is like the edge tint. "Scatter" tints polygons facing the camera. "Thickness" should control the falloff curve.

-------

¨Please could someone explain to me why multiple selection of items in the scene tab has changed. In 4.6 and before if you selected multiple items they would also be selected in the Parameters. Now you have to selected them in both to adjust more than one item. If this is intended it is a backward step.

Won't this get fixed if you click the menu on the Parameters tab, uncheck "Display separate items" and check "Consolidate properties"?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

is there any way to shut off the navigation tab and reclaim that vertical space? I don't need a tab, the viewport has it's own monitor dedicated to it. The script that worked for the beta to do this appears to no longer work, the "full screen" is not an option that's usable for work only viewing and on several occasions it's caused my screen to appear like it's flashing the image and blacking out like a strobe light.
    If there is a way to work in "full screen" please let me know, but as of now it's only a "viewing" option.

• jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited February 2016

X

Post edited by jdfox on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

This may or may not be a 4.7 issue, but I'll ask.

I created a full scene for a book cover, then decided I wanted a secondary character and beast for the back cover. So I created the critter and it's rider as a separate file, planning to merge the two and place the back cover elements ready-posed, where I wanted them in the full scene.

I made sure everything was parented to the main figure, so when I moved the figure, everything, beast, reins, saddle, etc, moved as a unit. Problem is, everything in the secondary scene loads but one little tack ring. I don't know where it goes or why. It's in the scene tab, where I parented it, but I can see or find it (in case it moved, which I can't figure out why it would).

I've considered turning the duo into a prop or single figure, but have never tried that before.

Tips? Ideas? Solutions? Explanations?

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited November 2014

is there any way to shut off the navigation tab and reclaim that vertical space? I don't need a tab, the viewport has it's own monitor dedicated to it. The script that worked for the beta to do this appears to no longer work, the "full screen" is not an option that's usable for work only viewing and on several occasions it's caused my screen to appear like it's flashing the image and blacking out like a strobe light.
    If there is a way to work in "full screen" please let me know, but as of now it's only a "viewing" option.

Clarify what you mean by "the navigation tab"; i.e. the actual label of the pane you are referring to. We do not ship a pane that is labeled "Navigation."

The script I posted in the 4.7 Beta thread works the exact same way in the 4.7 General Release. It finds the pane labeled "Viewport" using its internal classname (which has not changed), gets the pane group that the pane is in, and then hides the tabbar for that group. Said pane group can be docked, or floating, and the script will still work as intended. If the pane group is floating, there will still be a "title bar" (area at the top to click and drag) with an "x" (close) that is used to move the group. This "title bar" cannot be hidden.

If you want the script to work on the "Aux Viewport" pane, use "DzAuxViewportPane" in place of "DzViewportMgrPane". If you want the script to work on the "Tool Settings" pane, use "DzToolSettingsPane". For the "View" pane, use "DzCameraPane".

-Rob

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Has anybody tried in 4.7 to use HDR images not only for lighting but also for backgrounds?

I am trying to follow this tutorial; the lighting seems to work but the background image is visible only in the preview, not in the 3Delight renders (both IPR and normal renders).

Newbie-ism or bug?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

HDRI's when used in UE2 will not show in the background. You will need to do a few steps for it to be. Not bug just a limitation that I wished wasn't there. :)

UE2 comes with a Sphere as a guide but it isn't scalable so you need to Show Hidden Properties in the Parameters Pane with the sphere selected and unlock the Scaling parameter. Load your HDRI into the Diffuse and Ambient channels, Set Ambient to 100%. Don't rotate the Sphere, rotate UE2 and the sphere will follow. Also to get full realistic directional shadows you will need an additional light source.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Oops, another bug. I just submitted this report:

When I try to edit text I've typed into the Image Name field of the Render Settings, the text cursor jumps to the end of the text string each time I insert or delete a character. For example, suppose I've entered 1236789 as my image name. Then I realize I left out 45 between 3 and 6. I position my text editing cursor between the 3 and 6 and type 45. I get 123467895, because as soon as I type the 4, the cursor jumps to the end, and the 5 is entered at the end.

I see this too, please report it.Yes, I already reported it.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

Clarify what you mean by "the navigation tab"; i.e. the actual label of the pane you are referring to. We do not ship a pane that is labeled "Navigation."

The script I posted in the 4.7 Beta thread works the exact same way in the 4.7 General Release. It finds the pane labeled "Viewport" using its internal classname (which has not changed), gets the pane group that the pane is in, and then hides the tabbar for that group. Said pane group can be docked, or floating, and the script will still work as intended. If the pane group is floating, there will still be a "title bar" (area at the top to click and drag) with an "x" (close) that is used to move the group. This "title bar" cannot be hidden.

If you want the script to work on the "Aux Viewport" pane, use "DzAuxViewportPane" in place of "DzViewportMgrPane". If you want the script to work on the "Tool Settings" pane, use "DzToolSettingsPane". For the "View" pane, use "DzCameraPane".

-Rob

Viewport, I didn't have in front of me, I called it the Navigation pane, it's not.
    Let me re-save that script from the link again in case something got messed up on my end.
    I'm back and forth on two computers and I'm mostly off-line on my production one when I'm working.
    Anything could have happened, I'll check to see if it woks when I can, it's a busy week.
    thanks again Rob!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    UE2 comes with a Sphere as a guide but it isn't scalable so you need to Show Hidden Properties in the Parameters Pane with the sphere selected and unlock the Scaling parameter. Load your HDRI into the Diffuse and Ambient channels, Set Ambient to 100%. Don't rotate the Sphere, rotate UE2 and the sphere will follow. Also to get full realistic directional shadows you will need an additional light source.

It's the sphere associated with the light that is the problem :ohh:. Well, I will examine the issue better in future.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2014

Yeah I know but I have given you the solution, what part don't you understand and I will break it down for you. It's no trouble.

Also the sphere needs "Visible in Render" turn on too. opps

Post edited by Szark on
  • mikey186mikey186 Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

I checked out DAZ 4.7, it's a REALLY a BIG improvement that I really love very much! I really loved when they finally have keyboard support on 4.7. Especially when I'm 'on the go', when controlling DAZ via/LogMeIn Ignition for the iPhone, I can now use the keyboard keys for controlling the camera and I can even control the figures with multi-touch! AWESOME!!!!!!

Although, there is one con that maybe as a suggestion - In the viewport, I actually use the 'cube' all the time for easy use. Only problem is that whenever I'm on the go, controlling DAZ from LogMeIn, TeamViewer, or even Splashtop from my iPhone, when I tap and drag on the cube, it goes infinite-ly, zig-zagging, upside-down, all around like CRAZY! I know that this version has keyboard support, but it's kinda slow and kinda sluggish when I have to press the keys SOOO many times when on camera mode. If there's a way to have the cube fixed with support for Remote Desktop controlling, I be a LOT happier and it saves me time.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify: there is new content in the G2 starter essentials. Is there new content in the Genesis starter essentials? or any of the other components like the Content Creator Toolkit or any of the rest of those addons?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

Ever since I updated to 4.7 I get an error box everytime I start Daz:

writeAuth: Couldn't open configuration file for writing.

I have to click through it and it's very annoying. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited November 2014

JOdel said:
    Just to clarify: there is new content in the G2 starter essentials. Is there new content in the Genesis starter essentials? or any of the other components like the Content Creator Toolkit or any of the rest of those addons?

I think there were minor changes to the scenebuilder lights in GSE, but no added content.

ETA: Correction, the Default Lights and Shaders has some extra Scenebuilder camera presets.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
    edited December 1969

Okay, so it sounds like Scenebuilder, the Lights and Shaders and the G2 content packages all need downloading as well as the new version.

Has anyone attempted to use any of the Poserworks shaders with the new version? I rember those being something that seems to need an update for every new version of Studio.

And what about GenX2 anyone tried that in 4.7?

• NaviNavi Posts: 443
    edited December 1969

GenX2 loading fine in 4.7 :)

edited December 1969

Good-oh.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Could somebody tell me why Daz3d is creating really, really
    good documentation of the new features
    - with screenshots and all -
    and does NOT link to that in the first message of the thread????
    http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/new_features/start

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited December 1969

and now you can see Mr and Mrs Daz sitting in their office
    saying:
    "how nice we have Kerya helping us so often
    lets give an awesome gift to her
    maybe a choice of her own"

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,345
    edited November 2014

barbult said:
    I'm having difficulty determining which viewport will be rendered when I click the Render button. It ofter renders the Aux viewport camera view instead of the main viewport camera view. I was surprised that the Aux viewport camera was ever rendered as the final render. I thought it was for IPR and just viewing another view of the scene. How can I look at my screen and tell which viewport will be rendered when I click the render button?

Progresive mode on --> IPR rendering
    Progresive mode off --> final rendering

Edited: there are differences in output. First IPR, last final

sandy_ogl4.png
    1200 x 1800 - 2M
    sandy_ipr.png
    1200 x 1800 - 2M
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Also the sphere needs "Visible in Render" turn on too. opps

Did improve the situation significantly Having by default invisible in render half of an environment lighting rig is somewhat counterintuitive (sarcasm intended).

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    and now you can see Mr and Mrs Daz sitting in their office
    saying:
    "how nice we have Kerya helping us so often
    lets give an awesome gift to her
    maybe a choice of her own"

:)
    Thanks for the nice idea - but I only found it, I didn't write it.

• Anubic DarqueAnubic Darque Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

I was so scared! You see I use the Toon style rendering almost all the time as I used it for the past 8 years for my webcomic..... and I got this one downloaded... and no toon style setting. FREAK OUT! I yelled I cursed (all in my head) and panicked. I went though the settings again and again making sure I had not missed it..... and it wasnt there. then I found... "Show hidden settings" with trembling fingers... I selected it.... and BINGO! Style suddenly appeared..... with more trembling fingers I selected it.... AND THERE IT WAS! I was saved! Daz has kept Toon rendering and I could continue my slip into the insanity that is webcomic production.

Can you please not scare me in the future by hiding settings like that?