Carrara 8.5 Pro BETA - version 8.5.1.19, Now Available! (UPDATED)

Comments

• Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 244
    edited November 2014

@JimmyC
    Both standard content and Smart Content show up as usual, but when I try to load from either tab I get an error like "xxx could not be loaded", both for the Poser and DS versions. Poser content from other runtimes is not affected. It was working fine before the DS 4.7 update. It's off topic though, I'll keep an eye on it and start another thread for this.

Post edited by Jay Versluis on
  • BarbfmcBarbfmc Posts: 50
    edited November 2014

I would delete this post but don't know how.

Post edited by Barbfmc on
  • LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 166
    edited December 1969

Howdy Folks,

I'm running Carrara Pro 8.5.1 Build 12 on both my primary system (Windows 8.1) and a Mac (OS X 10.10.2). I am also running just RenderNode on a server running Windows Home Server 2011. On both my Mac and Windows 8.1 box, the beta runs, but does not see the Carrara Native Content (nothing is listed in the object browser), but it can open and load my pre-existing artwork just fine. The Smart Content pane is not working on either the Mac or Windows. I tried several different variations of launching DIM and Studio 4.7 before Carrara on my Mac, but could not get it show up. I haven't really tried too much on the Windows side. However, the real reason I am posting here, is due to the beta version of RenderNode crashing on startup. This is on a Windows Home Server 2011 box, where the original build launches just fine. Incidentally the beta version of Carrara used the older RenderNode just fine....

Should I try to create a bug report for the crashing issue, or is posting here fine? Thanks!

Rich S.

edited December 1969

OK I've tried installing the beta on SIX different systems and sadly it runs on neither of them:

- Mac Mavericks 10.9.5 (with existing Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.6)
    - Mac Yosemite 10.10.1 (with existing Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.7)
    - Mac Yosemite 10.10.1 (no further DAZ apps or content installed)
    - Windows 7 (no further DAZ apps or content installed)
    - Windows 8.1 (with Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.7)
    - Windows 10 Preview (with DS 4.7)

The procedure is always the same: install via DIM, the beta asks for my name and serial, and then crashes. Re-opening results in crashes right after the start screen. The non-beta runs fine where installed.

I'm happy to provide crash reports if it helps to prevent this for the upcoming release. Congrats to everyone who's got it working ;-)

• dtammdtamm Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Please file bug reports.
    - https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/tickets/new

• wscottartwscottart Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Running Mac 10.6.8 and this Carrara 8.5 public build so far is fabulous. Although still lots of fitting problems, but thats because I keep trying to fit gen 1 and victoria 4 clothes on Gen 2 I guess. Overall really happy with this build after an hour of playing around.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

OK I've tried installing the beta on SIX different systems and sadly it runs on neither of them:

- Mac Mavericks 10.9.5 (with existing Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.6)
    - Mac Yosemite 10.10.1 (with existing Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.7)
    - Mac Yosemite 10.10.1 (no further DAZ apps or content installed)
    - Windows 7 (no further DAZ apps or content installed)
    - Windows 8.1 (with Carrara 8.5 Pro and DS 4.7)
    - Windows 10 Preview (with DS 4.7)

The procedure is always the same: install via DIM, the beta asks for my name and serial, and then crashes. Re-opening results in crashes right after the start screen. The non-beta runs fine where installed.

I'm happy to provide crash reports if it helps to prevent this for the upcoming release. Congrats to everyone who's got it working ;-)

Hmmm... just a thought, as I'm seeing a common occurrence:
    Perhaps install the official Carrara 8.5 first, and run it once.
    It seems to be happening on fresh installs, where the S/N is required, right? Mine didn't need that, due to it working off of my current preferences file.
    I'm on Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

barbfmc said:

I would delete this post but don't know how.

Since we can't, you might as well edit it into something really cool! :ahhh: Maybe even with a nice picture?
    Island_Butte_Quick1a.jpg
    1000 x 769 - 585K
    Island_Butte_Lg.jpg
    1000 x 769 - 634K
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited November 2014

It seems to be happening on fresh installs, where the S/N is required, right? Mine didn't need that, due to it working off of my current preferences file.

I had 8.5 running on my Mac and then installed the beta. No joy.

Am installing on a second machine now and can try a third tomorrow.

Edit:
    2nd machine same thing: crash on launch.

I will install 10.10.1 on the 2nd machine and try again...

Post edited by That Other Persona on
    edited December 1969

@Dartenbeck
    Good thought indeed, but three of my systems already have the current Carrara release installed. They didn't ask for my serial (I think), but they still don't want to run the beta :-(

Just curious, does the beta require PostgreSQL? That's one component I haven't installed. My understanding is that it's optional - but maybe the beta thinks otherwise?

Nice picture indeed ;-)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I have the official C8.5Pro installed, and the beta still asked for my serial number. (OSX 10.10.1)

I've since tried it on a second machine, with the same result - crash on startup.

edited December 1969

@Dartenbeck
    Good thought indeed, but three of my systems already have the current Carrara release installed. They didn't ask for my serial (I think), but they still don't want to run the beta :-(

Just curious, does the beta require PostgreSQL? That's one component I haven't installed. My understanding is that it's optional - but maybe the beta thinks otherwise?

Nice picture indeed ;-)

I didn't have Postgre installed when I first had the crash. I subsequently installed it, and it didn't crash. But I had no UI, no menus, just a window and enough of a file menu to let me quit.

edited December 1969

Update

On a Mac mini, I updated the OS to the latest 10.10.1. Still no luck. Then I installed Postgre and Carrara will launch, but I cannot see any files from my library. Absolutely zero. Do I need to reset something?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Update

On a Mac mini, I updated the OS to the latest 10.10.1. Still no luck. Then I installed Postgre and Carrara will launch, but I cannot see any files from my library. Absolutely zero. Do I need to reset something?

Do you mean the Content tab or the Smart Content tab or something else?

If it is the Content tab, you may need to use the Black button at the right to Add Folder and Add Runtime.
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

Update

Do You have DAZ Sudio installed?
    I found I had to reset the DB from Studio to get it to work.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can also re-import metadata from DIM, but it won't include any User Data.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Just to add to the flow of information:

I just installed the new Carrara beta via DIM.
    It launches long enough to display the splash screen, then crashes.

I'm still running Mac OS X 10.6.8.
    I have not installed PostgreSQL, and do not intend to, since I don't want to break content management in my functioning version of Carrara 8.5.0.243.

I notice that the version number of the beta is 8.5.0.12 in the file info, but 8.5.1.12 in the splash screen. (So even though I cannot yet run the software, I've discovered an error.)

I also noticed that another Mac OS X 10.6.8 user posted earlier that their installation was working fine. So it would appear that my older OS is not the problem.

Seems like an awful lot of us are getting startup crashes.

carrara_splashscreen.png
    1280 x 1024 - 828K
    carrara_get_info.png
    474 x 565 - 56K
    edited December 1969

Have tried resetting things within Daz3D... not exactly sure what I am doing but nothing seems to be doing anything. I am not a Daz user so it is pretty foreign to me... Any link to a how-to?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Have tried resetting things within Daz3D... not exactly sure what I am doing but nothing seems to be doing anything. I am not a Daz user so it is pretty foreign to me... Any link to a how-to?

Do you mean DAZ Studio? Go to Help > Home, and there are links to loads of help files.

What are you trying to set?
    edited December 1969

Support came back to me and said "try the 32-bit version".

Well... The 32-bit version runs! (insert firewoks etc animation here ;))

I don't have any smart content, but regular content is there, and my current WIP opens with no problem. (about all the testing I could do before work)

So: Mac 64-bit = crash. Mac 32-bit = ok.

edited November 2014

Got things working, I think, at least in part.

It was the Content library needed exporting and then re-importing in Daz. That got the content back up, but the original content is still missing. Same for presents and scenes and shaders...

Opened Daz 4.6, Content menu, Option: Content DB Maintenance. Check Export Data. Close Daz 4.6. Open 4.7 and go to same DB Maintenance tab: Re-Import Data. Everything shows up in Daz and Carrara, except Carrara is missing Native Content.

Is PostGre working now?

My simple brain can't follow this stuff...

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited November 2014

I wrote a support ticket. I learned that you have to have, not only "Public build" ticked, but all versions of Carrara, "Software" and "64 bits" (or 32 bits, if this is the case). Now my download through Install manager works! Thanks for the helping hand, Crissie and Spooky.

download.PNG
    806 x 966 - 35K
    Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

To any DAZ representative; could we have a confirmation of the above information?
    DAZ_Spooky indicated that it was functioning on Mac OS, but did not state whether it was the 32 or 64 bit version.
    If the 64 bit Mac version just plain doesn't work yet, it would be good to know so we don't spend anymore time trying to get it to run, and can just wait for a fixed 64 bit beta to test.

Thanks,

edited December 1969

I sent in a ticket, to, but no reply yet... Hope they can tell me soon how to get the native content working again. I wonder if it is the same as you...

edited November 2014

de3an said:
    Tim_A said:

To any DAZ representative; could we have a confirmation of the above information?
    DAZ_Spooky indicated that it was functioning on Mac OS, but did not state whether it was the 32 or 64 bit version.
    If the 64 bit Mac version just plain doesn't work yet, it would be good to know so we don't spend anymore time trying to get it to run, and can just wait for a fixed 64 bit beta to test.

Thanks,

I got the 64-bit version running on a Mac mini (2012) running 10.10.1, but without Native Content showing, and I'm not sure if Postgre is working or not; is there anyway to check within Carrara? I am waiting to hear from Daz. Maybe lots of people before me... and they may be a bit busy so I can be patient.

Also, regarding the DIM filters, I only have Carrara 8.5 and 8 as well as Daz Studio 4.5 and General, Software, Plugin, Mac 32, Mac 64 checked, not the others (Carrara 7 to 7.2).

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

In my DIM installed I never did get the native content to work or My shaders I just mapped a folder to them.

I have only experienced one crash sofar and that was lastnight going from the hair room back to the assembly room. But the computer was multitasking at the time and that may have been why it crashed.
    I will be trying the same thing tonight with out multi tasking.

Still get a lot of Poke through on the Gen 2 with Gen 2 Morphing Fantasy Dress, Not sure if it is the dress or Carrara.
    http://www.daz3d.com/morphing-fantasy-dress-for-genesis-2-females

edited December 1969

I got the 64-bit version running on a Mac mini (2012) running 10.10.1, but without Native Content showing, and I'm not sure if Postgre is working or not; is there anyway to check within Carrara? I am waiting to hear from Daz. Maybe lots of people before me... and they may be a bit busy so I can be patient.

Also, regarding the DIM filters, I only have Carrara 8.5 and 8 as well as Daz Studio 4.5 and General, Software, Plugin, Mac 32, Mac 64 checked, not the others (Carrara 7 to 7.2).

The fact that you have the 64 bit version running on Mac OS really muddies the waters.
    We really need some guidance from DAZ on this issue.

The missing Native Content is expected. Every new version of Carrara that you install will need to have the Native Content files reinstalled into it.
    You can probably use the DIM to install the content files by adding a path in the DIM settings to the beta installation location.
    I'm not yet comfortable with the DIM, so I do it differently.
    I just open my working Carrara.app package contents and COPY the Presets and Scenes folders over to the same location in the Beta Carrara.app package.
    Be sure to COPY the Presets and Scenes folders. Don't MOVE them.
    The image below illustrates where the Presets and Scenes folders are located.

You may be able the see if PostgreSQL is running by using the Activity Monitor.app located in the Mac's Utilities folder. (This is assuming that Mac OS X 10.10.1 still has the Activity Monitor.app.)
    Whether or not the PostgreSQL process in actually named PostgreSQL, I don't know. I'm still running the older Valentina content management and it appears in the process name list as "DAZ Content Management Service", and is always running. Whereas, the new PostgreSQL Content Management Service is only supposed to be running when another app such as DAZ Studio or Carrara is also running.

Hope that helps.

Carrara_content_install.png
    1023 x 781 - 225K
    edited December 1969

I just tried the 32 bit Mac version of the beta, and it crashes just like the 64 bit version.

edited December 1969

My mac 10.6.8. I installed the public build through the DazDim program and I installed the 64 bit version. It is working like a charm. I still have 8.5 pro on at the same time and its is running fine. I also updated to Dazstudio 4.7 at the same time as installing the public beta. Never asked for a serial number, guess its working off my Carrara Pro 8.5 user libraries somehow.

screen.jpg
    732 x 480 - 136K
    edited December 1969

Take back the library part. For instance in my original version the scene tab is full of items, but the beta has nothing in that tab.