DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,136
    edited December 1969

If you look in Edit>Preferences the tabs now scroll and at the far right hand end there are options for PostgreSQL under CMS Settings, including where to place the database.

Do you mean here? The place that says "Cluster Directory"? (That drops down on my DS4.6.3.52 desktop too though says "None" at present)
    If I change the setting will it automatically (a) move the database there, (b) be "known" by DIM?
    Capture.JPG
    577 x 565 - 34K
    edited December 1969

Oh, and does this mean I should install DS4.7 BEFORE PostgreSQL, go into DS, set the location THEN run the PostgreSQL installer, if I don't want it to write anything to the Appdata area from the off?

• legarclegarc Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to go back to 4.6 version if 4.7 does interfere with a 3rd party plugin, Octane, Alembic, Dynamic Cloth, etc. Would hate to lose these. I hold my breath every time I install one of these upgrades.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,361
    edited November 2014

You can download older versions of DAZ Studio from your product library

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Yay, the GoZ seems to make morphs for pre-Genesis figures again! Lovely.

On unrelated note, I liked black-and-orange icon better than black-ang-blue ones.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I very much like the new City Limits Lite workspace

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Ughm. I just mistakenly undocked viewport window. How can I put it back in the middle of the screen?

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited November 2014

Kattey said:
    Ughm. I just mistakenly undocked viewport window. How can I put it back in the middle of the screen?

Drag and drop it on the area I dotted red in the image :)

That will ad an extra tab.
    If you want it in the middle, like it originally was, drag it to the upper edge (again where I drew the red dots)
    Hope it helped ^^

view2.jpg
    1402 x 522 - 43K
    view.jpg
    260 x 997 - 56K
    Post edited by Sylvan on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

You can still have the backdrop as a guide - simply set it to not show in the render in the Environment pane. I haven't tested with a shadow catcher, but as I recall the alpha channel wasn't that useful there anyway and it was necessary to do a render with shadow catcher and a render without, then layer them.

I know I can have it as a guide, that's not the problem. I cannot render the scene with background and get my alpha channel. So I have to do as you say: Use as guide, hide bg during render, go into photoshop, hunt for bg, double-check my render size, re-size loaded bg, place render, whether I need to do further 'work' or not.

There IS a simple solution. Give us back the halo-ed alpha channel when we render with background visible. Confusion? Possibly but there's a simple answer. If you want no halo, hide the background when you render. Your choice.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

What happened to my render settings? I can't change size, or pixels, or anything.

screenshot.jpg
    594 x 1080 - 105K
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    This is me, drooling at the idea of rendering directly to PSD, and being able to assign different objects to render to different output layers but with a single pass render.

I don't know about different objects rendering to different layers - but you can output stuff from 3Delight to PSD. http://www.3delight.com/en/uploads/docs/3delight/3delight_67.html - takes some "scripted renderer" work to use those extra display drivers, but it's possible (at least, when rendering to file). I haven't done any layered stuff, but I use a script to render to HDR (EXR) which can be later tonemapped.

Having the same issue. Please advise.

Looks like this is classified info, Araneldon! =D But if you aren't adverse to bypassing the whole backdrop thing (setting up your own controls in the render script instead), there is a way out, I believe.

I invite both of you to discuss the "scripted renderer" thing in the "laboratory" thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21611/

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

What happened to my render settings? I can't change size, or pixels, or anything.

Click the "editor" tab next to where you have "advanced" highlighted, that'll show the other options

edited December 1969

Click the "editor" tab next to where you have "advanced" highlighted, that'll show the other options

Thanks. I was about to panic, lol.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

No problem, I went through a similar moment at first :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

You can still have the backdrop as a guide - simply set it to not show in the render in the Environment pane. I haven't tested with a shadow catcher, but as I recall the alpha channel wasn't that useful there anyway and it was necessary to do a render with shadow catcher and a render without, then layer them.

I know I can have it as a guide, that's not the problem. I cannot render the scene with background and get my alpha channel. So I have to do as you say: Use as guide, hide bg during render, go into photoshop, hunt for bg, double-check my render size, re-size loaded bg, place render, whether I need to do further 'work' or not.

There IS a simple solution. Give us back the halo-ed alpha channel when we render with background visible. Confusion? Possibly but there's a simple answer. If you want no halo, hide the background when you render. Your choice.

That's not what I meant - if you look in the Environment pane, with a backdrop set up, there's a Visible in Render button. It works like the Visible in Render setting for objects - when set to off you can see the thing in the viewport but it won't render. You don't have to go in and turn the guide backdrop off to render, then back on after rendering.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    If you look in Edit>Preferences the tabs now scroll and at the far right hand end there are options for PostgreSQL under CMS Settings, including where to place the database.
    Do you mean here? The place that says "Cluster Directory"? (That drops down on my DS4.6.3.52 desktop too though says "None" at present)
    If I change the setting will it automatically (a) move the database there, (b) be "known" by DIM?

Yes, it will move - and yes, it's a configuration setting that will affect DIM too.

Oh, and does this mean I should install DS4.7 BEFORE PostgreSQL, go into DS, set the location THEN run the PostgreSQL installer, if I don’t want it to write anything to the Appdata area from the off?

No, as you won't get the tab until PostgreSQL is installed.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Yes, it will move - and yes, it's a configuration setting that will affect DIM too.

Oh, and does this mean I should install DS4.7 BEFORE PostgreSQL, go into DS, set the location THEN run the PostgreSQL installer, if I don’t want it to write anything to the Appdata area from the off?

No, as you won't get the tab until PostgreSQL is installed.
    Thank you very much, Richard - you're a superhero!
    I've succesfully got the database where I want it on the laptop, so I think I'm good to go with installing on my "real" DS PC.

Must say I like the look of what I've seen on DS4.7 so far - that IPR rendering stuff is really neat (had a lot of fun moving lights around while it was going) and I hope and pray that the PostgreSQL dbs will hold up for a lot longer than the Valentina ones did for me.

edited December 1969

What's the aux viewport for?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

What's the aux viewport for?Taken from the front page of this thread

4) Aux Viewport Pane - A separate, singular, auxiliary viewport in its own pane that can be used as a convenient, independently sized, alternate view of the scene with IPR capabilities (for renderers that provide it)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited November 2014

Greetings,

Quick, lighting and shader accurate renders, that updates as you change stuff in your scene. You add the aux viewport, and then (this is how I do it) add the IPR toolbar by clicking the context menu (four lines with an arrow) and selecting 'Show IPR Toolbar'. Then click the 'Play' button to start it doing a progressive render of your scene. You can continue to futz with the scene while it's doing it and it'll adjust. If you're going to do a lot of changes, and don't want it eating CPU trying to recalculate, hit the STOP button until you're ready. If you have multiple monitors, it's even better, as you can detach and move it around.

It's really, REALLY useful for getting lighting just right, noting breakthrough that doesn't show up in preview, and more. It's a big thing, and I'm kind of blown away by it.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

jpiat said:
    The default shader has new options :
    Sheen color.
    Scatter Color.
    Thickness.

What is it for ?

Skin.

The Default Daz Studio Shader? I can´t see those options on that one.

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Quick, lighting and shader accurate renders, that updates as you change stuff in your scene. You add the aux viewport, and then (this is how I do it) add the IPR toolbar by clicking the context menu (four lines with an arrow) and selecting 'Show IPR Toolbar'. Then click the 'Play' button to start it doing a progressive render of your scene. You can continue to futz with the scene while it's doing it and it'll adjust. If you're going to do a lot of changes, and don't want it eating CPU trying to recalculate, hit the STOP button until you're ready. If you have multiple monitors, it's even better, as you can detach and move it around.

It's really, REALLY useful for getting lighting just right, noting breakthrough that doesn't show up in preview, and more. It's a big thing, and I'm kind of blown away by it.

-- Morgan

Awesome, sounding. Does it also see shadows (like when using pwCatch) and other shaders?

edited December 1969

jpiat said:
    The default shader has new options :
    Sheen color.
    Scatter Color.
    Thickness.

What is it for ?

Skin.

Set the Lighting model parameter to Skin.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    edited December 1969

I'm having difficulty determining which viewport will be rendered when I click the Render button. It ofter renders the Aux viewport camera view instead of the main viewport camera view. I was surprised that the Aux viewport camera was ever rendered as the final render. I thought it was for IPR and just viewing another view of the scene. How can I look at my screen and tell which viewport will be rendered when I click the render button?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited November 2014

I use the product library and categories exclusively to locate content . What I do is go to the "L's" For example and quickly type the first two letters of the content item to have them pull up.

What I'm finding though, is doing this when I type t certain letters it is triggering the viewport to zoom out which I don't want. It seems there are some hotkeys activated that weren't activated in the previous version of the software which control the camera. Can I disable this?

Anyway when I accidentally hit whatever key is triggering the zoom out in the main view, I cannot undo it by control Z. I'd like to be able to continue to search for content if I can without this feature being enabled.

Can I do anything about it?

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I'm having difficulty determining which viewport will be rendered when I click the Render button. It ofter renders the Aux viewport camera view instead of the main viewport camera view. I was surprised that the Aux viewport camera was ever rendered as the final render. I thought it was for IPR and just viewing another view of the scene. How can I look at my screen and tell which viewport will be rendered when I click the render button?

There's no visual cue, so that's probably worth a bug report - the Aux Viewport is a viewport, so if it's active it will be used for rendering.

edited December 1969

I use the product library and categories exclusively to locate content . What I do is go to the "L's" For example and quickly type the first two letters of the content item to have them pull up.

What I'm finding though, is doing this when I type t certain letters it is triggering the viewport to zoom out which I don't want. It seems there are some hotkeys activated that weren't activated in the previous version of the software which control the camera. Can I disable this?

Anyway when I accidentally hit whatever key is triggering the zoom out in the main view, I cannot undo it by control Z. I'd like to be able to continue to search for content if I can without this feature being enabled.

Can I do anything about it?

By default shift-k will disable the keyboard view control - if that itself becomes an issue you can change or remove the keyboard shortcut in the Window>Workspace>Customise dialogue (in the View Controls group on the left, right-click on the command to get a menu).

edited December 1969

barbult said:

There's no visual cue, so that's probably worth a bug report - the Aux Viewport is a viewport, so if it's active it will be used for rendering.Thanks, Richard, I'll submit a report.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Set the Lighting model parameter to Skin.
    Interesting — does this mean a few more of the "under the hood" parameters are now uncovered, so we can fiddle a bit if necessary? I'm hoping to get round to updating to 4.7 sometime next week, it looks like I'll have lots of new stuff to play with.

Nearly forgot the most important thing — is there documentation of these new features anywhere?

edited December 1969

Oops, another bug. I just submitted this report:

When I try to edit text I've typed into the Image Name field of the Render Settings, the text cursor jumps to the end of the text string each time I insert or delete a character. For example, suppose I've entered 1236789 as my image name. Then I realize I left out 45 between 3 and 6. I position my text editing cursor between the 3 and 6 and type 45. I get 123467895, because as soon as I type the 4, the cursor jumps to the end, and the 5 is entered at the end.