DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• lucidghostlucidghost Posts: 73
    edited December 1969

Installed 4.7 and my Smart Content has disappeared. I can see everything in the Content Library pane, but I like using the shortcuts in Smart Content. I've tried refreshing the database and re-importing metadata, but nothing is working. I can't uninstall PostgreSQL in DIM either because it's not listed under the installed tab. Any suggestions?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited November 2014

I'm still not able to get Gen X to load. I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin. It no longer shows up under 'about installed plugins' I cannot get it to work, and it was working fine before I upgraded to 4.7.

Any suggestions? I use this plugin all the time and I didn't do anything but upgrade to 4.7 for it go bye-bye.

EDIT: Okay, I got it to work. The manual installer did the trick. Not sure why the DIM installer fails to load it. WEIRD. But working.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited November 2014

Spit said:

(2). Okay, the explanation makes sense. Two different behaviors would be confusing though I certainly wouldn't mind. So I can save as layered psd then? I'll do almost anything to prevent having to do multiple renders on this older machine.

Do you have to do two renders? Can't you just layer the render with alpha over a copy of the original backdrop file for the same result?

This is what I was going to suggest as well. :) I know everyone has their own way of working that suits them, but I feel like I'm not understanding having an image background baked into the render file when you can put that image background in as a layer afterward and have all the possibilities available to use any other background you might change your mind to? I would love to save straight to a layered image too, that would be wonderful (!), but short of that...

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

. I used to be able to access Ron's backgrounds through the Backdrop for the scene.
    How do I access those backgrounds now?

Instead of Edit > Backdrop > Image > Browse that you used to use, it is now
    Environment pane:
    Set "Active Type" dropdown to Backdrop, then click the little triangle for the Background parameter, then select Browse.

Where's the environment plane?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

. I used to be able to access Ron's backgrounds through the Backdrop for the scene.
    How do I access those backgrounds now?

Instead of Edit > Backdrop > Image > Browse that you used to use, it is now
    Environment pane:
    Set "Active Type" dropdown to Backdrop, then click the little triangle for the Background parameter, then select Browse.

Where's the environment plane?

Window > Panes > Environment

edited December 1969

Sooo ... this change prevents the halo, but does it cst or show shadows?

edited November 2014

One more question ...

Where'd the symmetry - mirror poses thingy go?

edit # Never mind, I found it. I was looking in the wrong spot.

Post edited by WillowRaven on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

No where it is still in the same place Parameters Pane > Options Box > Symmetry

edited December 1969

It won't effect shadows as long as you have geometry in the scene to catch the shadows, just like before.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

It won't effect shadows as long as you have geometry in the scene to catch the shadows, just like before.

I use pwCatch for ground shadows. I just wanted to make sure shadows don't cast on the backdrop.

• bmosaltbmosalt Posts: 52
    edited December 1969

Installed this new build, and now Daz crashes when receiving GoZ.

• grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

How do I add backdrop to the updated Daz Studio?

I don't add backdrop often, but sometimes I do and I can't find that feature in this new version.

Also I'm not liking the checkered background in the render when the scene isn't completely filled with items.

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Installed this new build, and now Daz crashes when receiving GoZ.

For me too.

My workspace came back intact with no problems, though, and I'm loving the new features.

• PinspotterPinspotter Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    XiMiX said:
    jakiblue said:
    I can't work this out. How do I get the "truly transparent background"??

I am also having this problem.

i finally got it. LOL.

it doesnt seem to show the checkered pattern background in teh viewport - but if you RENDER, the pattern is there.

Confused me. I thought somethign was wrong because it was supposed to show in view.

Previously the semi-transparent pixels were mixed (pre-multiplied) with the background colour or image, so placing a masked render on a differently coloured ground would show a halo. This version doesn't mix in the background colour if you leave it off, and so allows you to layer your renders without haloing.

That's odd, because now I am experiencing haloing, when I wasn't with version 4.6. Specifically, it only shows up when I save a rendered image in TIF format; PNGs with background alphas work as they should. I would like to resolve this, as the TIF format is a standard print format, whereas PNG is not.

How are you opening the tiff? I'm not seeing haloing opening in Photoshop, selecting via the alpha channel, floating to a new layer and then putting various colours behind the new layer. This was with the Background set to None, so the DS render window showed a chequerboard behind the model.
    This is the issue I am experiencing. A one-pixel halo spanning the entire edge of the rendered subject. On the left is the TIF file, on the right is the PNG file. This was not a problem in version 4.6! I have been saving my rendered images in TIF format for years, and have not seen any haloing until I upgraded to 4.7 last night.

Example.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 159K
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    XiMiX said:
    jakiblue said:
    I can't work this out. How do I get the "truly transparent background"??

I am also having this problem.

i finally got it. LOL.

it doesnt seem to show the checkered pattern background in teh viewport - but if you RENDER, the pattern is there.

Confused me. I thought somethign was wrong because it was supposed to show in view.

Previously the semi-transparent pixels were mixed (pre-multiplied) with the background colour or image, so placing a masked render on a differently coloured ground would show a halo. This version doesn't mix in the background colour if you leave it off, and so allows you to layer your renders without haloing.

That's odd, because now I am experiencing haloing, when I wasn't with version 4.6. Specifically, it only shows up when I save a rendered image in TIF format; PNGs with background alphas work as they should. I would like to resolve this, as the TIF format is a standard print format, whereas PNG is not.

How are you opening the tiff? I'm not seeing haloing opening in Photoshop, selecting via the alpha channel, floating to a new layer and then putting various colours behind the new layer. This was with the Background set to None, so the DS render window showed a chequerboard behind the model.
    This is the issue I am experiencing. A one-pixel halo spanning the entire edge of the rendered subject. On the left is the TIF file, on the right is the PNG file. This was not a problem in version 4.6! I have been saving my rendered images in TIF format for years, and have not seen any haloing until I upgraded to 4.7 last night. Why on Earth would the devs "fix" something that isn't broken?

edited December 1969

Spit said:

(2). Okay, the explanation makes sense. Two different behaviors would be confusing though I certainly wouldn't mind. So I can save as layered psd then? I'll do almost anything to prevent having to do multiple renders on this older machine.

Do you have to do two renders? Can't you just layer the render with alpha over a copy of the original backdrop file for the same result?

This is what I was going to suggest as well. :) I know everyone has their own way of working that suits them, but I feel like I'm not understanding having an image background baked into the render file when you can put that image background in as a layer afterward and have all the possibilities available to use any other background you might change your mind to? I would love to save straight to a layered image too, that would be wonderful (!), but short of that...
    Here are two reasons for using a backdrop image:
    1.) When I run what I call a "test render" of a new character or a WIP for a client, adding a simple backdrop shortens my workflow. Usually I will use a simple image that looks like draped cloth.
    2.) I sometimes use a reference picture as a backdrop, say for when I'm posing a figure manually or morphing the likeness of a subject. Again, shortens my workflow.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

1.) When I run what I call a "test render" of a new character or a WIP for a client, adding a simple backdrop shortens my workflow. Usually I will use a simple image that looks like draped cloth.
    2.) I sometimes use a reference picture as a backdrop, say for when I'm posing a figure manually or morphing the likeness of a subject. Again, shortens my workflow.

Both of those backdrop uses are still available, just more options available now. (I do much the same myself)

For the TIFF fringing you are seeing, I am not sure. I do know that TIFF files are very flexible and can handle transparency in more than one way, which makes me wonder if something either in the choice DS is using for transparency in TIFF saves or the software you are using to edit the render is causing it to appear that way, but I do not know enough about it.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I don't add backdrop often, but sometimes I do and I can't find that feature in this new version.

Also I'm not liking the checkered background in the render when the scene isn't completely filled with items.

Get the new Environment pane
    Window / Pane / Environment
    Dock it where you like (I have it under my content pane and scene pane to the left)
    On the top of the Pane change it to Active Backdrop
    Click on the grey field in front of the arrow of the Background to wander off and search for your background picture
    The last line of this pane says "Visible in Render"
    If you leave the Backdrop active and the colour white and don't use a picture and have the Visible in Render on - you get a white backdrop instead of the checkered one (which only shows it is transparent).

edited December 1969

Spit said:

Both of those backdrop uses are still available, just more options available now. (I do much the same myself)

For the TIFF fringing you are seeing, I am not sure. I do know that TIFF files are very flexible and can handle transparency in more than one way, which makes me wonder if something either in the choice DS is using for transparency in TIFF saves or the software you are using to edit the render is causing it to appear that way, but I do not know enough about it.
    My guess is how Studio is handling semitransparent pixels from within the standard. The only thing that changed, is the version of Studio. I work in GIMP, and I had no fringing when saving TIF flies from version 4.6, so the issue is definitely with Studio. At any rate, I still have version 4.6 so at least I can keep going without issues.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    1) I couldn't see a difference between tiff and png, nott hat that proves much - could you post an example of what you are seeing?

2) If the image is output with the backdrop then it's not possible to have the unhaloed pixels (unless it's also output as a layered file) so, speculatively, it may be that they felt it better to avoid having two different behaviours in the way the masked section behaved.

3) I'm not seeing the difference between opening the Backdrop dialogue from a button and switching to the Environment pane - both leave you having to click the image selection/load button and browse to your image. It may well be possible to write a script that would open a file dialogue and load an image, if that's what you want, but I haven't poked at the new version to see what I can find (assuming the required functions are findable) though I didn't think there was a one-click way to load and assign a backdrop image in 4.6.

Thanks for the specific responses, Richard.

(1). I haven't installed yet, long story. The example of junk around a tif I saw on page 11 is what I'm referring to.

(3) Well, I guess for this specifically I'll wait until I actually have the version installed. I'll get back to you. or Not.

Sorry, no rendering to layered files - I meant if we had that it would offer a solution.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I mentioned earlier that I like to use backgrounds as part of the composition so I need to see it while I'm working and perhaps adjust its color or blur a bit in post with layering. But there are also times when everything works out well and I don't need to do anything. But that I will not know until a full render with background is complete. Especially if I use a shadow catcher. If I see I need some post on the background there's no alpha channel so I have to render again without the background just to get that alpha channel.

Also in many cases I'd have to resize the background first. Yet another step.

Things I do NOT have to do today.

Some images I did postwork (and in at least one case, I needed to do more. sigh) and used the alpha channel to work on bg separately as well as after flattening doing other stuff as well.

ThroughTheWoodsLIghtly.jpg
    579 x 750 - 118K
    curlew-wants-curls.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 146K
    WoodsCrossing.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 150K
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

Because posing and element placing often depends on the background itself.

• grpruettgrpruett Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Get the new Environment pane
    Window / Pane / Environment
    Dock it where you like (I have it under my content pane and scene pane to the left)
    On the top of the Pane change it to Active Backdrop
    Click on the grey field in front of the arrow of the Background to wander off and search for your background picture
    The last line of this pane says "Visible in Render"
    If you leave the Backdrop active and the colour white and don't use a picture and have the Visible in Render on - you get a white backdrop instead of the checkered one (which only shows it is transparent).

Got it. Thanks.

• wungunwungun Posts: 59
    edited December 1969

stupid question how do i access the ipr render?

edited December 1969

Open the Aux Viewport Pane and click on the Options Box.
  • ArtbyphilArtbyphil Posts: 91
    edited December 1969

artbyphil said:
    I pretty much like the way this is looking so far. Just one thing I've noticed it that on closing down I get a fatal error crash report. Anyone else getting this?
    are you getting this after doing something, or does simply opening/closing DS and doing nothing cause a crash? (and if so, do you have any sort of default scene loading?)

It only seems to do it when I am closing daz studio. Makes no difference if there is a scene or its totally empty. if i just open and close the program and do noting else I still get it.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Window / Panes / Aux Viewport
    Upper right corner with the 4 lines and an arrow
    Show IPR Toolbar

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited November 2014

Spit said:
    Spit said:
    1) I couldn't see a difference between tiff and png, nott hat that proves much - could you post an example of what you are seeing?

2) If the image is output with the backdrop then it's not possible to have the unhaloed pixels (unless it's also output as a layered file) so, speculatively, it may be that they felt it better to avoid having two different behaviours in the way the masked section behaved.

3) I'm not seeing the difference between opening the Backdrop dialogue from a button and switching to the Environment pane - both leave you having to click the image selection/load button and browse to your image. It may well be possible to write a script that would open a file dialogue and load an image, if that's what you want, but I haven't poked at the new version to see what I can find (assuming the required functions are findable) though I didn't think there was a one-click way to load and assign a backdrop image in 4.6.

Thanks for the specific responses, Richard.

(1). I haven't installed yet, long story. The example of junk around a tif I saw on page 11 is what I'm referring to.

(3) Well, I guess for this specifically I'll wait until I actually have the version installed. I'll get back to you. or Not.

Sorry, no rendering to layered files - I meant if we had that it would offer a solution.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I mentioned earlier that I like to use backgrounds as part of the composition so I need to see it while I'm working and perhaps adjust its color or blur a bit in post with layering. But there are also times when everything works out well and I don't need to do anything. But that I will not know until a full render with background is complete. Especially if I use a shadow catcher. If I see I need some post on the background there's no alpha channel so I have to render again without the background just to get that alpha channel.

Also in many cases I'd have to resize the background first. Yet another step.

Things I do NOT have to do today.

Some images I did postwork (and in at least one case, I needed to do more. sigh) and used the alpha channel to work on bg separately as well as after flattening doing other stuff as well.

You can still have the backdrop as a guide - simply set it to not show in the render in the Environment pane. I haven't tested with a shadow catcher, but as I recall the alpha channel wasn't that useful there anyway and it was necessary to do a render with shadow catcher and a render without, then layer them.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

My guess is how Studio is handling semitransparent pixels from within the standard. The only thing that changed, is the version of Studio. I work in GIMP, and I had no fringing when saving TIF flies from version 4.6, so the issue is definitely with Studio. At any rate, I still have version 4.6 so at least I can keep going without issues.

I wasn't seeing this, but it may show only in certain situations (or I may well just be missing it). Please report it as a bug, attaching a scene that triggers the issue as well as the problem images.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 1969

OK, today's question/gripe: I decided to experiment on my laptop so I intstalled (using DIM) the PostgreSQL then DS4.7. Opened up DS (log says that it's using PosegreSQL for CMS as expected) and content library was empty as expected (as I'd not installed anything else yet) so I came out of DS and back into DIM and installed Starter Essentials, all ok back in DS.
    BUT: I realised that nowhere had I been asked where I wanted the databases to be located. The old CMS installer used to ask this. I went looking and the only thing I could find that was growing in size was in C:\Users\.Melanie\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster. Is this the database?
    Now this doesn't matter on my laptop as it only has a single hard drive, but I actually use a separate desktop PC to run DS and I deliberately put the (Valentina) DBs on the secondary drive as the first is SSD and I don't want data with that much volatility on it. So is it not possible to put the DBs for PostgreSQL in a location of the user's choosing?

edited December 1969

If you look in Edit>Preferences the tabs now scroll and at the far right hand end there are options for PostgreSQL under CMS Settings, including where to place the database.