DAZ Studio Pro 4.7.0.12, General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• WAVEDELSHWAVEDELSH Posts: 100
    edited November 2014

Got a problem when rending animation in 4.7 ...stills look great ,but when i go to make an Animation it very grainy ?
    never had this problem with an other version

Any ideas

Post edited by WAVEDELSH on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Did you look at the render settings? Some of my usual settings had been changed by the update.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited December 1969

QUESTION: Can I install and run DS4.7 without installing the new versions of Genesis/G2M/G2F Starter Essentials? i.e. Is there anything in the new Starter Essentials that is required for DS 4.7 to work? (I am currently on DS 4.6.0.18 so my Starter Essentials date from December 2013)
    The reason is that I'd like to use the new features in DS4.7 but I don't have enough data allowance in my Internet package to download 1.2 GB of Starter Essentials this month as well. Can anyone tell me whether I can run DS4.7 with the old Genesis/G2F/G2M base content?

• WAVEDELSHWAVEDELSH Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Did you look at the render settings? Some of my usual settings had been changed by the update.

Thank you for your reply
    Yep I've had a look ..the strange thing is the stills from the same scene look fine but when I make a movie of the same scene it very Grainy
    and i haven't change anything ?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    QUESTION: Can I install and run DS4.7 without installing the new versions of Genesis/G2M/G2F Starter Essentials? i.e. Is there anything in the new Starter Essentials that is required for DS 4.7 to work? (I am currently on DS 4.6.0.18 so my Starter Essentials date from December 2013)
    The reason is that I'd like to use the new features in DS4.7 but I don't have enough data allowance in my Internet package to download 1.2 GB of Starter Essentials this month as well. Can anyone tell me whether I can run DS4.7 with the old Genesis/G2F/G2M base content?

As far as I know, yes - you'll mainly be missing new additions to the content.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,130
    edited November 2014

MelanieL said:

As far as I know, yes - you'll mainly be missing new additions to the content.
    Thank you - I'll hang on to me DS4.6 installers just in case, but sounds like it's worth the risk - I like the look of the rendering changes especially the halo-less benefit.

AH - one more question: I'd like to move to the PostgreSQL from Valentina (which has plagues me with going corrupt many times over the past few months) - I'm happy to rebuild the databases completely by reimporting (I have exported Userdata so can reload that too) so what exactly will I need to do to switch? Does uninstall/reinstall DAZ Studio do that or is there more to it?
    PS: I don't use DIM to install as I run DS on a machine where I don't let anything write to C: drive - I usually use installers downloaded from Product Library for SW.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • BellaBella Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

I cannot change background color....where is it?!

Background colour for renders is in the Environment tab - Window>Panes(Tabs)>Environment. Set the Active Type to Backdrop and then set the options.

Non-rendering viewport colour is in Window>Style>Customise colours.

Thank you very much, that helps!

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,683
    edited November 2014

From the updates I understood I should be able to navigate through the scene with my mouse now?
    It doesn't work, do I need to tick it on somewhere?
    Talking about what is mentioned here:
    "Scene Navigator Tool - Video game style ‘mouse look’ control by clicking and dragging in the viewport to orient the active view/camera/light."

Post edited by Sylvan on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

I assume you won't be able to use scene builder within DAZ Studio without that content, since it uses some of that content, but if you don't use scene builder then you won't care about that.
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Question: at 4.6.3.52 I have that problem that Morph Loader (both advanced and pro versions) can't properly load morphs for pre-Genesis clothes, either creating zero morph or not creating morph at all, and GoZ doesn't create a morph for such items either. Had it been fixed somewhat or it is still an issue?

• jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited February 2016

X

Post edited by jdfox on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Can't install right now, hopefully very soon.

But I'm concerned about two things.

(1) I frequently integrate background images into my composition so open and test several during any session. It now seems much more difficult to do so. I had an icon on some toolbar that I simply clicked to load a backdrop image. Is that icon still available to use?

(2) Why fix something not broken. I save all my images in TIF format and never experienced a problem with halos. I want to be assured that I won't have a problem now. Can someone put up an example of no halo when there is a background image involved? Thanks

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    Kerya said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Yea, I know all about that (seasoned user here) But I want the ability to move the Tips tab over behind the Tags tab and have the Info tab first since I refer to that one often.

me toooooo!

+1

I am in.

• jdfoxjdfox Posts: 38
    edited February 2016

X

Post edited by jdfox on
    edited December 1969

jdfox said:
    Spit said:

(1) I frequently integrate background images into my composition so open and test several during any session. It now seems much more difficult to do so. I had an icon on some toolbar that I simply clicked to load a backdrop image. Is that icon still available to use?

(2) Why fix something not broken. I save all my images in TIF format and never experienced a problem with halos. I want to be assured that I won't have a problem now. Can someone put up an example of no halo when there is a background image involved? Thanks

Here are two renders first with no background, second with. Both saved in .tif format. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the examples.

But, OY. They broke it! With background doesn't seem to be a problem (would have to see it against a background it was NOT rendered with to be sure. But if there is no background image, I never had a problem with halo either and this looks like poopie. I could take a saved render with or without background in tif format into photoshop, ctrl click in alpha channel, then create new layer, pop a different background layer underneath and no problem with halo.

• jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    ruphuss said:
    Kerya said:
    RAMWolff said:
    Yea, I know all about that (seasoned user here) But I want the ability to move the Tips tab over behind the Tags tab and have the Info tab first since I refer to that one often.

me toooooo!

+1

I am in.
    Me too!

edited November 2014

Estroyer said:
    From the updates I understood I should be able to navigate through the scene with my mouse now?
    It doesn't work, do I need to tick it on somewhere?
    Talking about what is mentioned here:
    "Scene Navigator Tool - Video game style ‘mouse look’ control by clicking and dragging in the viewport to orient the active view/camera/light."

For Mouse Look you need to use the new Scene Navigator tool, where click-drag aims the camera (and you move using the keyboard).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jimmulvaneyjimmulvaney Posts: 341
    edited December 1969

To get out of it (or turn it off) just select another tool, that took me a minute to figure out.

edited December 1969

jdfox said:
    Since I installed 4.7 (the Beta and now 4.7.0.12) Some of my characters are suffering from the 'Zebra Virus'. Will this be fixed soon? I have been using the same characters for some months in 4.6 and this effect has never happened before. It seems to be something to do with the sub-surface shader.

That looks like a need to adjust the scale or shading rate on the AoA SSS shader - make sure that you adjust all surfaces that have the same GroupID setting or you will get unexpected results (right-clicking on a surface with the Surface selection tool will allow you to select by matching property value)

edited November 2014

Spit said:

1) just leave the Environment pane docked and you can get to is by clicking its tab, which should be as quick as launching the dialogue in previous versions.

2) if you set the backdrop to render it will be included in the image and the mask will cover the whole iamge. But you can set the backdrop to be non-rendering if you want it as a guide, and then you won't get haloing from the image.

HaloTestTiffWithNoRenderBackdrop.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 187K
    Halo_Test_setup.JPG
    1030 x 808 - 190K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • pfmnelson2012pfmnelson2012 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Before I install 4.7 would someone be kind enough to expand on what is meant by 'undo-able' in the no 11 Render Setting update, I understand there is a major change in the render settings but I alter settings often to see the different effects, will I still be able to do that or once set is it locked in for that scene?
    Hoping it just means 'Ctrl Z' doesn't have any affect but can still change the sliders manually, etc.
    I know, probably a silly question.
    Even a screen shot of the new tabs would be appreciated.
    Thanks

It means the opposite, render setting changes can now be undone with Ctrl-Z.

Thank You Mike

edited December 1969

Here's two examples from the latest version of Studio before this current release...

First is an image rendered over a black background (no geometry) in Studio and saved in TIF format. In my image editor (PS) I CTRL-clicked the alpha channel to select cat and rider and put it on its own layer. I then created a new layer, filled with white, and moved it under the cat and rider. This essentially replaced the black background with a white one. NO PROBLEM with halos or weird edges AT ALL.

Second image was rendered over an image background (no geometry). I did the same process in my image editor, this time layering it over black. As you can see---NO PROBLEM.

So there is nothing broken in the old Studio. Why fix it?

RenderedonIMAGEBGtif.jpg
    1024 x 819 - 80K
    RenderedonBlackBGTIF.jpg
    800 x 640 - 50K
    edited December 1969

Spit said:

1) just leave the Environment pane docked and you can get to is by clicking its tab, which should be as quick as launching the dialogue in previous versions.

2) if you set the backdrop to render it will be included in the image and the mask will cover the whole iamge. But you can set the backdrop to be non-rendering if you want it as a guide, and then you won't get haloing from the image.

Cross-posted

We've got a definition confusion here. Backdrop vs background vs viewport background? We had only one background up to this point, and now we have three?

If I want to have an image behind my scene which definition is it loaded into? The backdrop or the background?

You just said whether the backdrop is included or not you will NOT get haloing? So where's the haloing in the example I saw coming from?

Also selecting the tab also means you have to have the right options already selected inside the tab. That is in no way as quick. I want my icon back. :( Seriously.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

jdfox said:
    Since I installed 4.7 (the Beta and now 4.7.0.12) Some of my characters are suffering from the 'Zebra Virus'. Will this be fixed soon? I have been using the same characters for some months in 4.6 and this effect has never happened before. It seems to be something to do with the sub-surface shader.

That looks like a need to adjust the scale or shading rate on the AoA SSS shader - make sure that you adjust all surfaces that have the same GroupID setting or you will get unexpected results (right-clicking on a surface with the Surface selection tool will allow you to select by matching property value)

Yep, I read this instructions in AoA SSS documentation. Seems some recent DAZ products are not agreeing with this rule.

Captura_de_Tela_2014-11-21_às_18.44_.13_.jpg
    435 x 902 - 143K
    Captura_de_Tela_2014-11-21_às_18.40_.20_.jpg
    443 x 902 - 138K
    edited December 1969

Looking at the image on page 11 again where it was rendered with no background (not sure exactly what that means in the new context) It seems to me it is not normal anti-aliasing halo. It appears to be just junk? I don't think I've ever seen it like that even on a PNG image.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited November 2014

Spit said:
    Looking at the image on page 11 again where it was rendered with no background (not sure exactly what that means in the new context) It seems to me it is not normal anti-aliasing halo. It appears to be just junk? I don't think I've ever seen it like that even on a PNG image.

I agree with you, I didn't think the example there showed what I understood the problem to be that was being fixed.

Spit, in your example, in the first battle cat image I can see evidence of what I thought the problem was. I see subtle dark fringing in the anti-aliased areas against the white. I usually see it more prominently at times when the background being excluded had color. That is what I'm hoping has been resolved in the new implementation.

Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited December 1969

easier to talk about with zoomed in picture maybe, here's one of my own with the issue present. It was rendered against a dark viewport background, which was multiplied into the anti-aliased edges of the render. So this is what I'm thinking has been fixed, and hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

PixelFringe.png
    719 x 608 - 77K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    jdfox said:

Yep, I read this instructions in AoA SSS documentation. Seems some recent DAZ products are not agreeing with this rule.
    You are absolutely correct about some DAZ products not following the rules in the AoA SSS shader documentation. Another thing in that documentation that some ignore is the part about setting displacement min and max to zero when no displacement map is used. So watch out for that one, too.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

easier to talk about with zoomed in picture maybe, here's one of my own with the issue present. It was rendered against a dark viewport background, which was multiplied into the anti-aliased edges of the render. So this is what I'm thinking has been fixed, and hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
    What are ypur render settings as the image I posted a page or two back has nothing like this at all. A perfect transparent background render with no artefacts at all, saved as a PNG with no background colour set. Viewport BG Colour a mid grey
    edited December 1969

Szark - I thought your example was rendered in 4.7 so it shouldn't have the problem? Mine is from 4.6, hoping to illustrate the haloing problem clearly so we know what should no longer happen, sorry if I'm miscommunicating. :)