Scrooge on the Cheap

*Disclaimer* This is by no means anything bad against the current Scrooge bundle.  I simply do not have the money.

A Christmas Carol is my all time favorite Christmas Movie/Play/Story etc.  Each year I usually watch as many different versions as I can.  Prob my fave version is the one with George C. Scott followed by The Muppet Chrstimas Carol.  I don't know why.  That one always cracks me up.

At any rate, life sucks had to call 911 yesterday for my dad, so I'm trying to find something for a distraction.  I'd like to make a visual novel using renpy.  So after about 12 years of collecting 3d stuff, I'm wondering what I could get away with.  I downloaded a couple of beat sheets showing the basic scenes, characters and stuff like that.

So if anyone could make any recommendations?  I think I have:

night cap and gown
clothes (maybe)
I could prob fake a counting house

what I don't hae
I'd like to do something unique in the way of ghosts
Street scene

I am also working on a school project so I could even add that part.  they could be doing a skit on the stage and so forth. 

Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Comments

• ecks201ecks201 Posts: 439
    edited November 2021

Someone suggested this for the bed chamber

The Bedchamber | Daz 3D

Massive Christmas Carol fan too: Try and find the version by animation guru Richard Williams. Then remember all of it was done by hand.

Post edited by ecks201 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349

As well as I. My favorite version is the 1951 version with Alastair Sim as Scrooge and then the George C Scott version. I watch 5 different versions regularly during the season. Sometimes all on the same day one after the other. Drives my family nuts.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,208

There actually is a Counting House here: Counting House, and Counting House Let it Snow, and an alleyway The Old Shambles that might do for the street scene. Other streets: Old London AlleyOld London TownThe Streets Of Old London.

• ecks201 said:

Someone suggested this for the bed chamber

The Bedchamber | Daz 3D

Massive Christmas Carol fan too: Try and find the version by animation guru Richard Williams. Then remember all of it was done by hand.

Thanks.  this looks super nice!  I'll see what I can do or find something close.

• Well... you could always throw a sheet (dforce plane) over a figure and call it a ghost.

Or just do a composite, with the ghost layer having some extra post-processing (including transparency/opacity tweaks). Render a person in Victorian garb separately with the same camera as the rest of the scene, then layer them back in with PS/GIMP... use techniques to make them ghost-y. (Desaturate, add blue-grey color, make it glow, transparency stuff, etc.)

What did they do in older movies for ghosts? Look that up, then copy that technique.

Of course, if you're determined to do everything in-engine, then you will pay up. There are ghosts and spectres in the store.

• frank0314 said:

As well as I. My favorite version is the 1951 version with Alastair Sim as Scrooge and then the George C Scott version. I watch 5 different versions regularly during the season. Sometimes all on the same day one after the other. Drives my family nuts.

Everyone knows that I watch them, but no one cares much.  There was an animated one I watched when I was a kid, but haven't been able to track it down.  It seemed like it was a long movie one.  I'm 57 now so that would have been back when I was 8 or 9 or something.  I'm not sure.  At anyrate, I haven't watched any so far.  Everything is so depressing, but with this I'll have to make it my goal again.  I didn't know that there were other people out there like me lol.  Thank you!  You made my day!

whispers65 said:

There was an animated one I watched when I was a kid, but haven't been able to track it down.  It

Remember anything about it? Style? a specific character etc?

• NorthOf45 said:

There actually is a Counting House here: Counting House, and Counting House Let it Snow, and an alleyway The Old Shambles that might do for the street scene. Other streets: Old London AlleyOld London TownThe Streets Of Old London.

Thanks.  I'll check them out. 

• ecks201 said:

whispers65 said:

There was an animated one I watched when I was a kid, but haven't been able to track it down.  It

I can see it in my head, but that doesn't help much.  It seems like the characters were kind of fuzzy around the edges as apposed to sharp edges.  I'll have to look again.  I know there are tons of versions.  I have a lot of them on dvd, but couldn't ever track that one down.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,414

whispers65 said:

frank0314 said:

Everyone knows that I watch them, but no one cares much.  There was an animated one I watched when I was a kid, but haven't been able to track it down.  It seemed like it was a long movie one.  I'm 57 now so that would have been back when I was 8 or 9 or something.  I'm not sure.  At anyrate, I haven't watched any so far.  Everything is so depressing, but with this I'll have to make it my goal again.  I didn't know that there were other people out there like me lol.  Thank you!  You made my day!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_A_Christmas_Carol

• The Blurst of Times said:

Well... you could always throw a sheet (dforce plane) over a figure and call it a ghost.

Or just do a composite, with the ghost layer having some extra post-processing (including transparency/opacity tweaks). Render a person in Victorian garb separately with the same camera as the rest of the scene, then layer them back in with PS/GIMP... use techniques to make them ghost-y. (Desaturate, add blue-grey color, make it glow, transparency stuff, etc.)

What did they do in older movies for ghosts? Look that up, then copy that technique.

Of course, if you're determined to do everything in-engine, then you will pay up. There are ghosts and spectres in the store.

I have a ghost type shader that I picked up a long time ago.  It makes everything a translucent blue, but in my mind I picture a little bit of both.  maybe the trans blue tint but some of the clothes as real.  I soooooo so wish I could get out what I see in my head sometimes.  It's so hard that way.  Because when I want to do something, I get an instant picture, but trying to recreate that picture is far differnt.  It's like I see Mona Lisa and then I create a stick figure lol.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2021

Yes, I think the bundle is redudant for what's already out there other than 1 or 3 products that are new AND useful so there is no need to purchase the bundle outright. Attached file was created with a Good Guys for Genesis 8 character and A Curious Hallway. Smoke in background was Photoshopped in using Ron's Steam and Smoke brushes. I have Victorian clothes products and will probably do another Scrooge outside using Streets of Steampunk which has been on sale for a very good price and makes for a good Victorian setting. Taking advantage of Black Friday, I got the Victorian Nightclothes for about $3. Depending on what you already own, you can do Scrooge on the cheap. (I forget which hair products I used)

Scrooge ONLINE.jpg
    900 x 675 - 63K
    Post edited by mwokee on
  • PerttiA said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_A_Christmas_Carol

Thanks. I'm thinking it could be this one.  The age makes sense.  I would have been almost 7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(TV_special)

• mwokee said:

Yes, I think the bundle is redudant for what's already out there other than 1 or 3 products that are new AND useful so there is no need to purchase the bundle outright. Attached file was created with a Good Guys for Genesis 8 character and A Curious Hallway. Smoke in background was Photoshopped in using Ron's Steam and Smoke brushes. I have Victorian clothes products and will probably do another Scrooge outside using Streets of Steampunk which has been on sale for a very good price and makes for a good Victorian setting. Taking advantage of Black Friday, I got the Victorian Nightclothes for about $3. Depending on what you already own, you can do Scrooge on the cheap. (I forget which hair products I used)

Thank you!  I do have a curious hallway already so I think that will work.  And I don't know about the smoke but I do have a lot of Ron's stuff.

• whispers65 said:

ecks201 said:

whispers65 said:

I can see it in my head, but that doesn't help much.  It seems like the characters were kind of fuzzy around the edges as apposed to sharp edges.  I'll have to look again.  I know there are tons of versions.  I have a lot of them on dvd, but couldn't ever track that one down.

I'm pretty sure it is this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(TV_special)  I am watching it now on youtube.  it has a really unique art style to it and it has the fuzziness to it I was talking about.  It makes me giddy to see it again lol.

edited November 2021

whispers65 said:

whispers65 said:

ecks201 said:

whispers65 said:

I'm pretty sure it is this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(TV_special)  I am watching it now on youtube.  it has a really unique art style to it and it has the fuzziness to it I was talking about.  It makes me giddy to see it again lol.

Fixed link

If it's the one in this link, it's the Richard Williams version that first sparked my love of A Christmas Carol, I was 7 or 8 when I saw it and was transfixed by it.

On a technical level as well. I knew there was something different about it compared to other cartoons, but was too young to appreciate the animation skill involved in it.

Post edited by ecks201 on
  • ecks201 said:

whispers65 said:

whispers65 said:

ecks201 said:

whispers65 said:

Fixed link

If it's the one in this link, it's the Richard Williams version that first sparked my love of A Christmas Carol, I was 7 or 8 when I saw it and was transfixed by it.

On a technical level as well. I knew there was something different about it compared to other cartoons, but was too young to appreciate the animation skill involved in it.

I thought I copied the right link, but I guess not.  It is the one in your fixed link.   Me as well, "but was too young to appreciate the animation skill involved in it."  Here it is 50 years later and I still vividly see it in my head.  It left a huge mark on me, very few things that I've seen has done that.  I just finished watching it on youtube.  It's incredible to me.  there are plenty of other versions, but I'll always remember this one.

Seeing as I helped derail this thread yesterday, I thought I'd do my bit to pull it back on to the rails by seeing if I could create a Scrooge character using only the things I already have.
    The result is below. I started with Dassan and used Floyd's skin and then altered the colour, and I then attacked the shaping sliders for the head. It still needs work, but it's not bad for a start.

Scrooge_01 - Copy.png
    800 x 800 - 617K
  • ecks201 said:

Seeing as I helped derail this thread yesterday, I thought I'd do my bit to pull it back on to the rails by seeing if I could create a Scrooge character using only the things I already have.
    The result is below. I started with Dassan and used Floyd's skin and then altered the colour, and I then attacked the shaping sliders for the head. It still needs work, but it's not bad for a start.

Very nice!  I like that.  I don't think I have either character you mentioned, but I'm going to try and see what I come up with.