MetaMixer

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 2021

AllenArt said:

I think this product is shaping up to be the most confusing in the history of Daz3D. LOL

The PDF tutorial included in the product is very good, I believe, and the tool would have been useless to me without it. Few people would figure it out (except maybe DS geniuses like j.cade) without the tutorial. I'm still confused by some things and stumbling along, but Faux2D has been helpful in answering questions in the forum.

The most confusion (I think) comes from - and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong!:

• Daz did not explain that existing characters we own CANNOT be used directly with MetaMixer. MetaMixer addons need to be purchased. Addons are available only for some Daz characters and no PA characters (at least at this time).
    • Daz did not explain that existing HD addons that we own CAN be used with MetaMixer if we update the HD addon with the free update that Daz has made available in DIM, etc. We don't have to purchase a MetaMixer specific addon for the HD. Again, the HD update to use it with MetaMixer is available only for some Daz characters and no PA characters (at least at this time).
    • MetaMixer does not mix male and female shapes, in spite of the demonstration video that Daz linked to and touted as "How it works". That is NOT how it works, because Daz made the female MetaMixer shape morphs only for the females and the male MetaMixer morphs only for the males.
    • There is no explanation of what Morphing, Blending, and Sculpting do and how they differ. It would be helpful to see an explanation of how to achieve results using those tools. Even slowing the videos down to 25% speed on YouTube did not help much. There was no explanation of what was being done or why.
    • Edited 12/8/2021 to add: Both a character shape widget AND a character HD widget can be loaded into each MetaMixer slot (A.B, and C), but loading ONLY the HD widget will NOT change the character's head shape. HD will only add HD details. If you load 3 HD Widgets (one into A, one into B, one into C, the basic shape of your character will not change in MetaMixer. You will just be combining some tiny details, like brow wrinkles or lip creases. If you don't have the character mesh resolution set to 3 or 4 and Iray preview, you may think that nothing is happening.

Anyway, I continue to bungle along and learn through experimentation. Don't give up!

Post edited by barbult on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited November 2021

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

I think this product is shaping up to be the most confusing in the history of Daz3D. LOL

The PDF tutorial included in the product is very good, I believe, and the tool would have been useless to me without it.

Anyway, I continue to bungle along and learn through experimentation. Don't give up!

Don't run yourself down @barbult - In my experience you have usually been the one to figure out how something new works and post examples of your experiments. You have helped me on numerous occasions. This product holds little prospect for my personal use but I'm sure others appreciate your efforts and explanations.  

Post edited by marble on

marble said:

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

The PDF tutorial included in the product is very good, I believe, and the tool would have been useless to me without it.

Don't run yourself down @barbult - In my experience you have usually been the one to figure out how something new works and post examples of your experiments. You have helped me on numerous occasions. This product holds little prospect for my personal use but I'm sure others appreciate your efforts and explanations.  

I appreciate your encouragement!

• barbult said:

AllenArt said:

The PDF tutorial included in the product is very good, I believe, and the tool would have been useless to me without it. Few people would figure it out (except maybe DS geniuses like j.cade) without the tutorial. I'm still confused by some things and stumbling along, but Faux2D has been helpful in answering questions in the forum.

• Daz did not explain that existing characters we own CANNOT be used directly with MetaMixer. MetaMixer addons need to be purchased. Addons are available only for some Daz characters and no PA characters (at least at this time).
    • Daz did not explain that existing HD addons that we own CAN be used with MetaMixer if we update the HD addon with the free update that Daz has made available in DIM, etc. We don't have to purchase a MetaMixer specific addon for the HD. Again, the HD update to use it with MetaMixer is available only for some Daz characters and no PA characters (at least at this time).
    • MetaMixer does not mix male and female shapes, in spite of the demonstration video that Daz linked to and touted as "How it works". That is NOT how it works, because Daz made the female MetaMixer shape morphs only for the females and the male MetaMixer morphs only for the males.
    • There is no explanation of what Morphing, Blending, and Sculpting do and how they differ. It would be helpful to see an explanation of how to achieve results using those tools. Even slowing the videos down to 25% speed on YouTube did not help much. There was no explanation of what was being done or why.

WHAT?!?!?!

Are you implying there is a product in DAZ that has been poorly described or explained?  I've never heard of such claims!

End of sarcasm

If there's something I've learned here is that many PAs are that, artists, and not sales people. PAs need to start writing descriptions as if the reader have no clue what they're talking about. It will save hundreds and hundreds of unnecessary pages in the forum and most importantly people's time.

End of bitchy comment

Here's a suggestion, before uploading a decription of a product, give it to someone else with "some" knowledge of what you are offering and check if that person understands what you are selling.

Have a nice day/evening y'all

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited November 2021

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

The HD+ addons are included with the already existing, but updated HD addons, for products that have been updated. There is no "MM HD+" addon for sale and they aren't included by buying the $3.59 MM character head preset addons either, just the regular HD addon that now includes MM HD+ presets.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • AHArtAHArt Posts: 202

N00b4Ever said:

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

WHAT?!?!?!

Are you implying there is a product in DAZ that has been poorly described or explained?  I've never heard of such claims!

End of sarcasm

If there's something I've learned here is that many PAs are that, artists, and not sales people. PAs need to start writing descriptions as if the reader have no clue what they're talking about. It will save hundreds and hundreds of unnecessary pages in the forum and most importantly people's time.

End of bitchy comment

Here's a suggestion, before uploading a decription of a product, give it to someone else with "some" knowledge of what you are offering and check if that person understands what you are selling.

Except this is no longer a PA product since DAZ bought it. That burden was on DAZ itself

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    barbult said:

AllenArt said:

Thanks barbult, your explanation is the clearest so far. I only have 3 HDs - Victoria, Holt & Drutherson, and I don't really need character HD. So I guess I don't have the reason to buy all the other HDs in order to use MetamMixer.
  • AHArt said:

N00b4Ever said:

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

WHAT?!?!?!

End of sarcasm

End of bitchy comment

Except this is no longer a PA product since DAZ bought it. That burden was on DAZ itself

True that... I realised that as I was writting it but had already invested too much time in it to delete it cheeky. But it's still holds true for many other items. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609

Glad some of ya'll are excited for this to use as a new tool, but as I have no interest in trying to re-create a real-world person from a photograph, I'm honestly not seeing anything here that I couldn't do with a few minutes of dial-spinning or just selecting a couple base characters and mixing them 50/50 or 60/40 etc. And the fact that you have to re-purchase the base character add-on to use in the tool...even if it is only a few $$$...LOL. 

MelissaGT said:

Glad some of ya'll are excited for this to use as a new tool, but as I have no interest in trying to re-create a real-world person from a photograph, I'm honestly not seeing anything here that I couldn't do with a few minutes of dial-spinning or just selecting a couple base characters and mixing them 50/50 or 60/40 etc. And the fact that you have to re-purchase the base character add-on to use in the tool...even if it is only a few $$$...LOL. 

Uh, because it's easier and more accessible for folk then a list of sliders with tiny writing in the parameters or shaping tab even if you aren't trying to sculpt what a person looks like in a photograph.  It's also more intuitively clear on what you are editing using the GUI approach taken by Faux2D than the "traditional DAZ Studio GUI". It's a great bit of software that Faux2D designed.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

barbult said:

AllenArt said:

Thank you for this summary. As AllenArt says; this is a most confusing product.

I feel a little bad for Faux2D - I hope as part of their arrangement with Daz they didn't agree to handle support officially and that they are reporting all these issues back for Daz to sort out. Sometimes a product needs technical documentation and not just marketing blurb or a sales pitch. 

edited November 2021

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

Uh, because it's easier and more accessible for folk then a list of sliders with tiny writing in the parameters or shaping tab even if you aren't trying to sculpt what a person looks like in a photograph.  It's also more intuitively clear on what you are editing using the GUI approach taken by Faux2D than the "traditional DAZ Studio GUI". It's a great bit of software that Faux2D designed.

I use a lot more than base characters to do my custom sculpts. I have multiple morph packs that would be lost on this, some of which are merchant resources. And again...having to repurchase anything having to do with a character I already own just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But like I said, if you like it, fine. I don't have to use it. ;)

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,781
    edited November 2021

It is only getting better and better - another creation with MetaMixer, with Genesis 8.1 Female base and materials.

g81sc03pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 160K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

There is no explanation of what Morphing, Blending, and Sculpting do and how they differ. It would be helpful to see an explanation of how to achieve results using those tools. Even slowing the videos down to 25% speed on YouTube did not help much. There was no explanation of what was being done or why.

this one I can answer! "morphing" is whole head, "blending" is large details and "sculpting" is smaller details. The names are kinda vague, but the layout structure is pretty logical: larger to smaller detail left to right. so in the blending column you adjust the whole nose, in the sculpting column you can adjust the nostrils.

I also think it probably would have made sense from daz' side to be more clear that the way it magically blends parts of character morphs together is... a bunch of manually made splits of character morphs. There's probably some automation in the creation process, but it still relies on some manual work. I think there are some understandable assumptions that metamixer is automatically breaking up morphs itself, thus - "why can't I use it for any morph" buuuut the reality is the head morph has been broken up into 30some morphs by humans not by the plugin. I get where daz is coming from they're trying to demonstrate ease of use to the end user and "heres all the details of the complex goings on under the hood" probably isn't a good advertisement.

But a "Hey this plugin does not magically split morphs by itself because if that's even possible it would probably require some crazy vector math that makes my brain hurt to even think about!" may have cleared up some initial confusion

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,424

j cade said:

There is no explanation of what Morphing, Blending, and Sculpting do and how they differ. It would be helpful to see an explanation of how to achieve results using those tools. Even slowing the videos down to 25% speed on YouTube did not help much. There was no explanation of what was being done or why.

this one I can answer! "morphing" is whole head, "blending" is large details and "sculpting" is smaller details. The names are kinda vague, but the layout structure is pretty logical: larger to smaller detail left to right. so in the blending column you adjust the whole nose, in the sculpting column you can adjust the nostrils.

I also think it probably would have made sense from daz' side to be more clear that the way it magically blends parts of character morphs together is... a bunch of manually made splits of character morphs. There's probably some automation in the creation process, but it still relies on some manual work. I think there are some understandable assumptions that metamixer is automatically breaking up morphs itself, thus - "why can't I use it for any morph" buuuut the reality is the head morph has been broken up into 30some morphs by humans not by the plugin. I get where daz is coming from they're trying to demonstrate ease of use to the end user and "heres all the details of the complex goings on under the hood" probably isn't a good advertisement.

But a "Hey this plugin does not magically split morphs by itself because if that's even possible it would probably require some crazy vector math that makes my brain hurt to even think about!" may have cleared up some initial confusion

so in the MORPH group, nothing happens when I try to move the dot ... I click, I mov my mouse - results in nothing. The 3 heads seem to morph into a combo of the 3 when  I add them to the frame, but it cannot be adjusted any further.  

MelissaGT said:

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

I use a lot more than base characters to do my custom sculpts. I have multiple morph packs that would be lost on this, some of which are merchant resources. And again...having to repurchase anything having to do with a character I already own just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But like I said, if you like it, fine. I don't have to use it. ;)

Those shaping sliders of non-DO characters are still available to apply to the central MM base DAZ Original character currently loaded into the MM but you can't apply those morphs to the MM preset characters loaded into slots A, B, or C respectively. So it's possible to have the best of both worlds. I've re-purchased many DAZ products over the years that are just re-fits or another take on the same theme. If something does the same thing better, easier, or both, I will pay for it if I can afford it, whether it's DAZ MM presets at $3.59 or a new car or home with all the latest safety technology (don't I wish wink).

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

Those shaping sliders of non-DO characters are still available to apply to the central MM base DAZ Original character currently loaded into the MM but you can't apply those morphs to the MM preset characters loaded into slots A, B, or C respectively. So it's possible to have the best of both worlds. I've re-purchased many DAZ products over the years that are just re-fits or another take on the same theme. If something does the same thing better, easier, or both, I will pay for it if I can afford it, whether it's DAZ MM presets at $3.59 or a new car or home with all the latest safety technology (don't I wish wink).

So if I had a character that was a mix of 2 DO base characters, 4 PA characters, and then quite a few additional merchant resource morphs...that wouldn't work with MM, correct? 

edited November 2021

My previous creation with materials from https://www.daz3d.com/alidreaux-for-genesis-8-female

g81sc05pic01.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 312K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited November 2021

MelissaGT said:

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

nonesuch00 said:

MelissaGT said:

So if I had a character that was a mix of 2 DO base characters, 4 PA characters, and then quite a few additional merchant resource morphs...that wouldn't work with MM, correct? 

Not if you wanted to load that "custom after the fact character" into one of the MM A, B, or C slots but if the character was based on a base G8 or G8.1 as it's core with the rest of the morphs you mentioned, yes it would work as the central "non-slot A, B, C" character you are manipulating with the A, B, & C MM compatible addon slots.  MM is just going to get you there faster. In learning to be good with it though it's probably helpful to start with the unmorphed base G8 or G8.1 characters but once you learn how to use it you're just wasting time if you don't need to use G8.1 or G8 base as your starting point.

The "MM morphs" are installed into the G8 or G8.1 data so that MM data winds up being available for all characters, DO or not DO, that use the base G8 or base G8.1 to morph onto.

However, the results might not look very pretty but that's the case when you mix some morphs together using the old fashioned parameters or shaping tab.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

MelissaGT said:

I have multiple morph packs that would be lost on this, some of which are merchant resources. And again...having to repurchase anything having to do with a character I already own just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But like I said, if you like it, fine. I don't have to use it. ;)

I understand the confusion but it's a mistaken belief that you have to repurchase anything for MetaMixer. The fact that the MetaMixer Character presets are of pre-existing characters doesn't mean they're not a stand-alone product. If they were of new characters then the pricing for MetaMixer would be a lot higher. Not to mention a lot of people will then request that the characters they already own should be also made compatible with MetaMixer. Either the MM Character presets are sold separately, or their price will be included in the price for the Characters themselves which might act as a disincentive for those who don't wish to use MetaMixer at all.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

j cade said:

I assumed it was some sort of weight map thing when I first saw it! Other software can probably do this; D|S, maybe not. Anyway, thanks for your clarifications. Your posts in this thread have been very helpful.

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

barbult said:

I created this guy with MetaMixer, using the stuff that came with it and the Dasan HD update that I downloaded from DIM. I still don't really know what I'm doing, although I found the PDF manual to be valuable. I found the videos on the product page to be extremely confusing. I don't know how to control the HD Details without changing the character shape. Where is that explained?

"Sarah Connor ?"

edited November 2021

From aliens to regular people - really broad range of characters, one can create with MetaMixer.

Below is my next creation:

with Genesis 8.1 default materials

with Victoria 8.1 HD materials

g81sc11pic04.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 319K
    g81sc11pic05V81hd.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 288K
    Post edited by Artini on

khorneV2 said:

barbult said:

I created this guy with MetaMixer, using the stuff that came with it and the Dasan HD update that I downloaded from DIM. I still don't really know what I'm doing, although I found the PDF manual to be valuable. I found the videos on the product page to be extremely confusing. I don't know how to control the HD Details without changing the character shape. Where is that explained?

"Sarah Connor ?"

That's a Genesis 8 Male! I doubt his name is "Sarah". laugh

j cade said:

Thank you for these insights. yesyes

edited November 2021

Here's a pretty "everyday" girl in several poses with several different outfits and hair. I dialed some body morphs after MetaMixing the head.
    I went through the whole process of creating a full character preset for this one, following the tutorial and the extra clarification given by Faux2D here in the forum.

BV MM character 3 preset used_004_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    BV MM character 3 preset used blond 2021-02 Hair_001_Default Camera.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 2M
    BV MM character 3 preset used blond Flora hair_002_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    BV MM character 3 preset used_003_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

barbult said:

khorneV2 said:

barbult said:

"Sarah Connor ?"

That's a Genesis 8 Male! I doubt his name is "Sarah". laugh

I think the OP was suggesting it looked like The Terminator. LOL 

• Not all DO characters are supported. I couldn't use Floyd and Nix despite having their HD addons. Here's hoping all G8 and G8.1 core character HD morphs will be updated for this.

edited December 2021

I took a different approach with this one. I loaded Mabel HD and then dialed in a few MetaMixer morphs from the Parameters pane to change her just a bit. I messed with the mouth, nose and brow.

Mabel MM Brow 6 Viola Hair_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
  • barbult said:

I took a different approach with this one. I loaded Mabel HD and then dialed in a few MetaMixer morphs from the Parameters pane to change her just a bit. I messed with the mouth, nose and brow.

Very nicely done :-)