Using 8.1 textures on 8

I know that technically the main difference between m8 and m8.1 is that the uv is different, but mostly what was torso is now body. I can copy textures from 8.1 to 8, but the textures look wonky, I presume because the 8.1 textures are pbr while the 8 is default uber iray? Is there any way to change the shader for an m8 to be pbr so I can use the 8.1 textures on an 8 figure? I am fine using 8.1 but I have so few expressions for that figure in comparison. Debating whether to buy a few things and need to know if this is at all possible. Would also be nice for copying anatomical features to a gens other than the included one. Is there, in short, something that will change the base shader to pbr?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

The main reason the textures look wonky is the UVmapping is different. The UVmapping for G8.1 is different than that of G8. the reason you can use G8 textures on G8.1 is that G8.1 comes with both sets of UVmaps for that figure.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I haven't tried it yet (but I used to do a lot of it) - can you bake 8 textures to the 8.1 uv maps?

• 8.1 skin on a 8? Never tried. I just use 8.1 in that situation.

I've been using "PBR" textures designed for Genesis 8 on Genesis 3, no problem.
    I've used Michael 8.1's skin settings on G8M and G3M to convert older Iray uber skins to the new PBR.

I've saved individual PBR chunks from 8.1 figures as Shader settings... the Face area, the Body, the Legs, the Arms, the Naughty Dangly Anatomical Elements. They all have different Detail channel scaling, which is why I have them all separate.
    Then I go back to the Iray uber equivalents to CTRL-click apply the PBR settings.
    THEN you need to tweak away at things... and it's good to have that original 8.1 figure up (where you got the shader settings) to compare/contrast what maps need to be replaced/replicated on your target figure.

(IMO, it is FUN to use stuff like M8.1's PBR settings on, say, Michael 7's uber skin and bring the whole thing up to a more modern standard... but that's me. I like doing that.)

Using the 8.1 skin on something else? Never tried. (PBR skin, yes, but not 8.1 skin on a non-8.1 figure.)
    The Torso/Body+Head difference is the thing where I'd just "Nope" out of there.
    Why not use 8.1 if you're using 8.1 skins? The facial rigging is better. Most of everything 8 should work on 8.1 with some file tweaks. Some old scripts and shells won't work, though, due to the Surface names... but there's always a workaround (like building it on Genesis 8 and then just moving stuff over).

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Iray is a physically-based renderer, so all of its shaders are PBR shaders. I assume you mean that the 8.1 skins have been adjusted to match the features of the new PBRSkin shader, meaning they don't look as good with the Uber shader (which is a different kind of PBR shader).

You can apply both the Uber shader and the PBRSkin shader to any surface you want, if you select them from the Default Resources product in your Smart Content tab.

However, the 8.1 figures I've seen used roughness maps rather than specular maps. You could try just turning the Dual Lobe Specular slider to 0.0 and plugging the 8.1 roughness map into "Glossy Roughness" instead.

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

So let me explain that issue I understand it with what I'm saying. I can copy an 8.1 to an 8 no problem. everything is fine except that the body remains blank. so if I open an 8.1 with that character material set on, and copy body to torso, it copies, BUT the shader is off, because teh default shader for m8 differs from the shader used for 8.1. I have had a similar issue sometimes if I have applied the Maxx skin settings to a texture and tried to copy it to a default m8.

I have tried saving each part as a shader though. I have also noticed that If I try to copy the gens material to a different gens, it doesn't look right.

I was wondering where you find the default shaders. I assumed there must be. But under shader presets in my content library that daz shaders are all 3dl. Under daz uber, I have a basic uber shader which I use but that is like the one I have from riversoft art (3dl-iray) and it works, but not for copying these later textures. I thought about buying the v3digitimes pbr surface tool, but I wondered if there were a default shader that would make it easier to copy from the newer to the older. All I know is that I tried copying Wolfgang's body from 8.1 to the torso of an m8, the arms head and everything else had worked fine using a material preset, but copying the body to torso worked only to transfer the textures (they worked fine), but the shader was totally different.

if you can copy 8.1 to 3, I should be able to copy it to 8. Mostly I want this because there is a creature texture set for 8.1 that I would like to get, but I would prefer to use 8 because I have more expression options which don't really work on 8.1

Choppski said:

So let me explain that issue I understand it with what I'm saying. I can copy an 8.1 to an 8 no problem. everything is fine except that the body remains blank. so if I open an 8.1 with that character material set on, and copy body to torso, it copies, BUT the shader is off, because teh default shader for m8 differs from the shader used for 8.1. I have had a similar issue sometimes if I have applied the Maxx skin settings to a texture and tried to copy it to a default m8.

I have tried saving each part as a shader though. I have also noticed that If I try to copy the gens material to a different gens, it doesn't look right.

I was wondering where you find the default shaders. I assumed there must be. But under shader presets in my content library that daz shaders are all 3dl. Under daz uber, I have a basic uber shader which I use but that is like the one I have from riversoft art (3dl-iray) and it works, but not for copying these later textures. I thought about buying the v3digitimes pbr surface tool, but I wondered if there were a default shader that would make it easier to copy from the newer to the older. All I know is that I tried copying Wolfgang's body from 8.1 to the torso of an m8, the arms head and everything else had worked fine using a material preset, but copying the body to torso worked only to transfer the textures (they worked fine), but the shader was totally different.

if you can copy 8.1 to 3, I should be able to copy it to 8. Mostly I want this because there is a creature texture set for 8.1 that I would like to get, but I would prefer to use 8 because I have more expression options which don't really work on 8.1

No, the shader is fine. As FSMCDesigns mentioned, your issue is that the UVs, which map textures to the 3D model, are different. Changing the shader isn't going to fix that, since it just applies its settings to whatever zone the UVs point to. Since Genesis 8 doesn't have the extra material zones that 8.1 has, there's nowhere to put the head texture, so you would need to hack together some extra material zones in the Geometry Editor.

The PBRSkin shader is in Default Resources, like I said, but it's a pain to find using the search feature.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

AllenArt said:

I haven't tried it yet (but I used to do a lot of it) - can you bake 8 textures to the 8.1 uv maps?

I've done it once, I think, and you wind up with maps for each of the surfaces as compared to prior when some surface maps are combined with other surface maps, eg ears & face.

• You can literally just drag and drop the g8.1 uv files into the g8 uv folder and then restart daz to get the g8.1 uv to show up on a g8 figure.

The only problem you will have it the material zones. You'll need to overlay a g8.1 on top of a g8 and then under geometry editor tools, use the g8.1 "head" surface as a guide to to make the same surface out of the g8 "torso" surface.

You'll need to save the "modified" g8 figure as a scene subset to use it again.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited November 2021

Won't someone eventually create a 8.1 uv product for 8? Sounds like a salable product. I'd buy it. smileysmiley

Post edited by TJohn on
  • MoogooMoogoo Posts: 136

The best way to get 8.1 textures on a gen 8 figure is to make the gen 8 figure into 8.1(kinda)

create a gen 8.1 base character and copy the shaping from the gen 8 and save as character preset.

it will look like your gen 8 but all the surfaces are now 8.1

• ChoppskiChoppski Posts: 441

The PBRSkin shader is in Default Resources, like I said, but it's a pain to find using the search feature.

I did a search and could not find it. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

i only use 8.1.

There are few issues, using anything from 8 on 8.1, with the exception of some expressions, but I create my own.

If something wont work on 8.1, and I really want to use it, then 8.0 it is.

Choppski said:

I did a search and could not find it. 

That's what I said.

The exact name is "Daz Iray PBRSkin", and it's between Concrete and Diamond. If you don't see it, update your Default Resources through DIM. 

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited November 2021

Choppski said:

I am fine using 8.1 but I have so few expressions for that figure in comparison. 

If the only reason you want to transfer G8.1 to G8 is because the expressions don't work just do the following to get the G8 expressions working on G8.1 and save yourself a whole heap of trouble.

(Methodology cribbed from a post by PerttiA)

Making the G8 base expressions (and any expressions that are using them) work on G8.1 requires removing dummy/placeholder expressions that are installed to G8.1 morph folders - These dummy/placeholder expression files have no other function than to prevent the base G8 expressions from loading. 

The dummy/placeholder files are located in;

...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Female 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Base Pose Head\ (255 files)
    ...\Data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male 8_1\Morphs\Daz 3D\Expressions\ (24 files)

Please make sure you are removing the files from G8.1 morph folders and not G8 morph folders.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,817
    edited November 2021

map transfer should work but you will need to join some as layers in Gimp or Photoshop whatever as surfaces different

update

it actually works right out the box, I tried G8.1F you only need do the torso ears and head AFAIK too

my template setup, it correctly added head to torso in the rendered texture

Capture.JPG
    798 x 824 - 76K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on