SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810

DZheng's G8M VillianZ - CatM is a decent cat costume, including the ears. Unfortunately, it doesn't have claws, and it may be more corset-adjacent than you might like, and it is very ... strappy, for lack of a better word. Does have a lot of material options, though; I used it for "Meow". (I have a vague memory of seeing something with claws for G8M recently, in this store, but I can't remember what it was.)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited November 2021

Hah Corset-Adjacent. Yes. Indded. I recall that set.... That looks good in your render. 

I have seen Dzheng's Freddy Krueger knock-off on rendo. I did consider it for the claws. There is something weird about the sweater though. It is clingy? I remember looking, and thinking huh that is weird. 

I also admit to considering the squid game outfit. Because I still really want a flight suit. But, I am not sure you can recolor it well. And I have no need for a fuschia-colored suit.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited November 2021

So today, I purchased Dannie, by Emrys. Dannie is an attractive man with vitiligo, a tat, and a nice facial sculpt. 

There is an essence of Donald Trump Jr, in the vibrant black beard which pre-loads with him, and a bit around the eyes. I will likely dump the beard for this reason.  The skin also has a pretty large arm tat visible on the right arm. There is a remove option. He has a single anatomical mat. It is circumcized.

Overall, I like him, and he is of great value. 

Dannie.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 831K
    edited November 2021

Linghu is a hot, manga/anime-style male figure. He comes with skin, and eye colors. No gens, but that isn't entirely unexpected because this PA's other figure also was genless.

I really like the build, and the head, definitely anime. Looking forward to seeing what he looks like with say Hal's skin and a more anime eye. 

I will be messing around with this one for sure when I thrash around making toons which I am feeling the urge to do lately.

I passed on buying manga-style hair so, this was the only one I had that was close. Sorry

Manga.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 953K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Serene Night said:

So Daisy got a rework. I now no longer need Drow skins, since I picked up: https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-shader-basics--pbr-skin-color-changers

This product allows you to recolor any skin quite easily, so I once more returned to Torment's skin, which is pale enough to take any color well, and used VYK shader Basics to make it Drow-Y. 

The Dirt on Tav came from PHX Tucker, which has some nice overlays included. 

The Ground came from Rendo. I really struggled to find a realistic grassy ground. Most ground simply is not realistic and HDRIS don't look great either.  This has some backbreaking rocks, but oh well, they are elves.  The only downside to the ground product is it is mono-directional. Turn it around and it looks bad. 

Does this work on Genesis 8.  The description says its made for 8.1?

And I've quite missed your thread!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,090

What if you changed the root ID of G8M to G8.1M? You might want to see this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/466416/genesis-8-1-victoria-8-1#latest

edited March 2022

IceDragonArt said:

Serene Night said:

So Daisy got a rework. I now no longer need Drow skins, since I picked up: https://www.daz3d.com/vyk-shader-basics--pbr-skin-color-changers

This product allows you to recolor any skin quite easily, so I once more returned to Torment's skin, which is pale enough to take any color well, and used VYK shader Basics to make it Drow-Y. 

The Dirt on Tav came from PHX Tucker, which has some nice overlays included. 

The Ground came from Rendo. I really struggled to find a realistic grassy ground. Most ground simply is not realistic and HDRIS don't look great either.  This has some backbreaking rocks, but oh well, they are elves.  The only downside to the ground product is it is mono-directional. Turn it around and it looks bad. 

Does this work on Genesis 8.  The description says its made for 8.1?

And I've quite missed your thread!

Only parts of it appear to such as diffuse. It's designed for the PBR skin. I found it does take the various settings kind of-sort-of if you enable them. But I do think it probably works better on G8.

I am finding it pretty invaluable though. The diffuse, and skin changer is SO EASY, that I don't know how much more aliens skin I will need to buy. I can pretty much make it now. 

edited November 2021

inquire said:

What if you changed the root ID of G8M to G8.1M? You might want to see this: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/466416/genesis-8-1-victoria-8-1#latest

I too have ATGL poses which do not work properly with the various figures. Since these are scriptural poses its too bad the pa did not do an update to make them compatible. I haven't tried changing the identification. It might work. Hmmm.

edited March 2022

Edited.

edited November 2021

Here is Noor again, and the depressingly inverted crotch-pants. The hair, is what we are looking at though. laughIts once again dForce Jay hair. I rather like it. By default its sort of raggedy Andy hairstyle, uneven in length, although there are lots of adjustments.

Noor2225.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 715K
    edited November 2021

On the subject of men's new releases, here we have 

Genesis 8.1 Male Centaur and Kahale HD

Kahale is a large physically muscular man, with a lot of Polynesian/Maori style tattoos. He loads with a short trimmed beard, which I removed since I wanted to see his face HD.  He includes even more tats, and a remove tat option, beard, and eye colors. (Given the PA I doubt very much he has any genital mats, and they aren't listed, so I didn't bother looking if something applies when I load a G8.1 male gen). 

I like the body shape, the HD, and the build. I'm not sure I will ever use all these tats... But for those who may want them, there are a lot. He works with the Horse 2, to become a Centaur if you so desire.

Because it is cold in the frozen north Kahale is carrying his Viking shield and wearing his skimpy leather barbarian loincloth. He's meeting Vicky at the temple later for drinks and wants to look his best.

The only thing I do not like about him, is his hands seem rather tiny and undefined. I wish they were a touch bigger and had as much detail as his face. From some angles they can be a touch small. Fortunately, there are morphs. 

Him.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,252

I bought Kahale at a good price.  The 8.1 centaur body is endlessly useful. Kahale is... strange.  The artist tends to do celebrity likenesses (Goran/Willam Defoe) but I can't unsee a Caucasian version of The Rock.

nemesis10 said:

I bought Kahale at a good price.  The 8.1 centaur body is endlessly useful. Kahale is... strange.  The artist tends to do celebrity likenesses (Goran/Willam Defoe) but I can't unsee a Caucasian version of The Rock.

Honestly, it kind of depends. The way Kahale was presented in the promos makes him look Rock-inspired, yes. But the way Serene handled him here, he looks kind of like Mads Mikkelson. Two radically different looks. So at least he's flexible, depending on how you present him.

He looks like Mads to me. I did admit to a frisson of fear that he was some star I didn't know about or some athlete. I am increasingly out of touch with celebrities now that I've killed cable!

I hate when I buy a character, and not recognize them for some reason. It's one thing to buy them knowing they are a celeb. For some reason, I feel duped if I think they are original coke, and they turn out to be new coke. 

I'm not sure why it matters though. I am apparently well stocked on both!

Serene Night said:

He looks like Mads to me. I did admit to a frisson of fear that he was some star I didn't know about or some athlete. I am increasingly out of touch with celebrities now that I've killed cable!

I hate when I buy a character, and not recognize them for some reason. It's one thing to buy them knowing they are a celeb. For some reason, I feel duped if I think they are original coke, and they turn out to be new coke. 

I'm not sure why it matters though. I am apparently well stocked on both!

In general, I can do "inspired by" as long as the resemblance isn't too close. If I can look at them and say, "Oh, it's that guy," then I usually won't buy. A few times I've gotten caught when it was someone I didn't recognize, and then someone says, "Oh, it's that guy" and the PA says, "Yes, I was inspired by them". And then I'm just ... stuck trying to figure out how to make them not look like themselves.

edited November 2021

That is how I feel about M8.1 and some of the other noticeable ones. Of course I find M8.1 simply does not blend well facially for me. 

I'm so accustomed to M8 being a real flexible figure to use with all situations, but not M8.1 his head taints everything I blend with it.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,252

You all have reassured me...  

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,090

Serene Night said:

inquire said:

I too have ATGL poses which do not work properly with the various figures. Since these are scriptural poses its too bad the pa did not do an update to make them compatible. I haven't tried changing the identification. It might work. Hmmm.

It works for me. There's a script there that lets you do it easily.

edited November 2021

On the subject of men's clothing here, we have Alien Guard for G8M with texture expansion. It almost works for a fantasy outfit, although its.. Klingon roots are noticeable particularly in the shape of the weapon and the shoulder sash. 

I had to google the term for the weapon bat'leth.

I actually think the set is pretty nice. You have a lot of items in the set, the textures are nice and you can easily kitbash. You may be challenged to find hair that goes under the headpiece but you can easily just render the hair and the headpiece separately and postwork it.

AlienGuard.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    edited November 2021

Moving on, I tried out the dForce Rage outfit. There is no way to say it, this outfit is a corset-like outfit for men which I am not a huge fan of. However, as a product it all sort of fits together. 

It has a texture expansion, the simulation did not cause it to blow apart, it's just a little... .Unflattering on Noor. If you're going to do a corset it should be kind of tight and flattering and hot.  After all, that's what corsets are for support, and tightening up. And in this case, the corset is tight on the lower half but the top looks kind of looks flat and large. There is also a giant fake gem in the chest area, which none of the expansions really make look good. I think with better textures and something going on in the chest area to make up for its lack of interest it might really work.

The simulation however works pretty well, and it all fits, and I didn't notice any clipping which is a big plus.

RAGE01.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Speaking of Klingons I am watching the original 60s Star Trek in it's entirety for the 1st time ever and it's very nicely done. I only saw an episode or two when I was a kid. Part of it though is the approach to lighting, sets, costumes, acting, and scripts was different then and I like those styles better, most of the time, than more modern styles used after the 60s. 

edited November 2021

I think the original series is my favorite. Star Trek broke a lot of barriers. And while the successive series are also good, the original one was excellent. 

Nimoy as Spock  was my first crush. You'll probably see aspects of Spock in some of my work. 

Serene Night said:

I think the original series is my favorite. Star Trek broke a lot of barriers. And while the successive series are also good, the original one was excellent. 

Nimoy as Spock  was my first crush. You'll probably see aspects of Spock in some of my work. 

I see Spock atttitude a lot in the matter of fact aspects of the "android" aspects of your characters, yes.

edited November 2021

vwrangler said:

Honestly, I wish I'd been able to talk DZheng (or anyone else) into trying to make those suit-vest-corsets that someone picked up on a while back. I kind of liked the concept; suit vest in front, corset laced in back. An unusually secret corset, so to speak. Apart from the corset structure, it wasn't particularly femme at all.

Serene Night said:

I was a child in the 80's. So there was a lot of big hair, Nagel art, and outfits with poet's sleeves and tightly laced backs such as Heart used to wear. Also big hair, David Bowie as the goblin king, D&D and hair bands like Jon Bonjovi etc.

I like the idea of a corset vest or jacket. I think I had some with tight laces in the back. Those would look nice. 

Apparently, there was something in the air, or maybe they saw the original conversation ages ago. Anyway, Khoshekh has a corset vest for G8M over at Rendo. It's not at all bad -- the stuff on https://innovacorsetry.com/ was a bit more what I was thinking of, so I wish the laces on the back were wider, and more of them, and it sort of needs lapels for a more formal look -- but it's still very nice.

Post edited by vwrangler on
    edited November 2021

I like the pics in your link. I may pick up the rendo one. Although the rendo one has more of a medical truss feel than the pics in your link.

I am still reeling over my last horrific purchase of the jhr aleck underwear. After liking the sporty shorts I thought I might buy the underwear yeah...no.

edited November 2021

If you are looking for a nice set of bandaids look no further than: https://www.daz3d.com/k-pow-props-and-accessories-for-genesis-8

I bought that set a while ago and completely forgot about the bandaids included with it. It's definitely worth it for those alone. And thank goodness it isn't a geoshell product. Those distort too much.

OwenX.jpg
    1400 x 1800 - 2M
    edited November 2021

Tav and Noor. Noor has dForce low bang hair. Which I think looks great for elves.

I use a Raw Vanilla Filter here to give everything a gray and somewhat vanilla-y appearence.

Remember that Lilac set I bought and reviewed? It has an awesome ground plane! I have to file it away so I remember. Good ground planes are hard to find!

BG3-NOOR3jpg.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 3M
    edited November 2021

So like most people I bought tons of things with the black Friday deals. This is a female hair, that I think works pretty well for males. Its https://www.daz3d.com/lili-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

I had to change the scene ID to get it to fit, and adjust the hairline a bit. By default it is somewhat low. 

Noor-111.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 845K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

ummm it's been a while ,has RL taken over?

carrie58 said:

ummm it's been a while ,has RL taken over?

She's fine and posted in the Commons forum 2022 Dec 16 about the new Hans 8.1 Nutcracker Ballet Dancer.