SereneNight’s Sci-Fi Fun Thread 3

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I'm going to check the hd out today. It was cheaper to get the bundle. No clue what I will do with the Mayantemple I just bought though.

So, I've been checking out the long male hair for men, and the offerings are pretty feeble. Nearly all styles look designed for Vicky and not to accentuate the point have fits in genesis 8 female folder.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808

Which ones have you been looking at?

vwrangler said:

Which ones have you been looking at?

I have tried all the 'long hair' in my runtime, which is most extensive. What I discovered was that most of the male hair is sort of bouffant, especially in the back. It tends to be a rather big hair-band kind of hair. There is relatively little long hair, that is not super huge looking in volume.

I did settle for combining men's hair with female hair. To this regard, I used "Felixx Hair" Which is that weird butched cut that came with Drutherson. I recolored it and combined it with Evilyn hair for G8F It kind of sort of works, except that Felixx doesn't work well with elf hears, and there are no hidden properties to correct it like other hairs. I had to just use brushes to paint a few hairs over the impaling ones. 

Daisy has Peyton hair scaled down so it isn't super large in volume. I don't mind the length, but without hair spray, I don't see hair getting that large in the back. It is however, better and not super bouffant like nearly all my men's hair, which kind of looks like a wig in the back. 

edited March 2022

Edited.

Post edited by Serene Night on

There is a nice female hair freebie on Rendo here: 

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88062/candy-braids-hair-for-genesis-8-females

I tried it on Boyd and it wasn't great, but it looks pretty decent on the ladies.

edited October 2021

So, I have been testing out recent purchases.

FE Hair volume 4. Is disappointing. I am returning it. The hairline sits really high on Boyd. And even with the adjustment to lower the hairline, the hair height remains the same which looks kind of odd. 

Hairline lowered 100 percent

hair.jpg
    700 x 800 - 191K
    hair2.jpg
    700 x 800 - 196K
    edited October 2021

NEW OUTFIT ALERT:  this is a new Pa's JRH's dForce Ben Sport outfit. It includes several colors and several morphs for draping the shirt and shorts over furniture and crumpling them over the chair. I like the set, and I tend to use a lot of workout suits so it works for me. 

JRH dforce Ben.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 739K
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,088

Looks really cool. I like those extra morphs. Wish more clothing items came with them.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,742

Ben Sport outfit looks so much better in your render. Completely had passed it by, now wishlisted.

I like the way Ben Sport looks. No messing around, it just loads and fits perfectly. 

edited October 2021

Here's Ben Sport yet again! 

ManualLabor.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

May I have you post a like to where one purchases JRH's dForce Ben Sport outfit?

JRH dForce Ben Sportswear for G8M by JaReHorse on Renderosity.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,238

Thanks!

JaReHorse's stuff is ... interesting. There's one outfit where they had a content advisory icon for one image, and I thought, "Why on earth would THAT outfit need a [clicks on icon] ... oh. Oh, I see."

Apart from that, I did want to note that I bought both their Arar underwear set and the boxer set during one of their sales. The briefs of the Arar set can be dForced to cling in some ... interesting ways, let's say. As far as the Boxers robe and shorts outfit goes, It turns out that they don't really know how to rig for dForce; the robe of the boxer set clings to a character's thighs. I've no idea how to fix that; the only thing I could think would be to go in and remove the thigh bones with the joint editor, which (a) I'm not entirely sure how to do that, and (b) not at all sure that would work, and it would make sitting poses problematic, I think. Anyway, I thought it would be helpful to let people know. (I am tempted to get their Emidio underwear set later on, when it goes on sale, purely because I like the cheek of putting a modeled bow tie on the crotch of the briefs.)

Weirdly enough, there doesn't seem to be a robe for male characters that can be made to hang open properly that I've found. It might, theoretically, work to rig the Optitex dynamic robes for dForce, but they're all for much earlier generations, and I'm not at all sure that would work. (And it would probably require a timeline drape anyway, and I hate those.)

Thanks for the analysis on that. I kind of like to help new creators, and I do like the shorts outfit. The one with the bows makes me laugh. Let me know if you like it.

edited October 2021

On the subject of men, I picked up Keodin in a recent sale. Keodin is a stylized elf, he comes with a full morph (includes gens), some tats, eye colors. he also has a skin add-on for tattos which is a geoshell (I believe), so you can use those with other figures. 

This is a nice stylized elf, you can use as a gene donor or as is. He renders well, and you can blend him with M8.

He does seem to use the Genesis 8 Male morphs so you'll need to use those to get him to work.

Keodin default

50 percent Keodin and M8.

Keodin.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 660K
    Keodin-M8.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 665K
    edited October 2021

The DRX 400 was on sale, so I picked it up. Boyd can never have too many drone bodies. And this one is cool. It includes iray, and 3delight options and a number of mat colors. The wings go up and down and the propellers rotate if you want to try your hand at motion blur.

It is a cool and useful little bot. I like it. 

DRX-4002.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 597K
    edited November 2021

So, I have been rooting through my runtime for men's wear, and I came across shrouded assassin. I had never used it, because it has a corset, which deformed a lot when using it, but but but, you can HIDE the whole corset belt and laces and it kind of sort of works, plus it has those lovely sleeves. 

The hips and cut of the pants though, make me seriously suspect this is designed for women, but heck they are elves. They can change their sex if they desire, so, what difference does it really make? 

I had to use the wound healing brush to remove a couple button holes beneath the shirt where the corset used to be but it took very little time.

Here also you can see SY Yield's free "eye length" morph, which I think makes a great longer elf eye look. 

Tav-04-Red-Outfit.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M

I'd call it the George Gordon, Lord Byron shroud. He was so worried about his weight that he measured his wrists, ankles, etc., all kinds of parts, and kept Dr. Polydori around to help with "purges," which meant bleeding him and giving his diuretics. He loved to overeat and drink, but still wanted to remain sexy for the ladies. So, lots of binding and corsets were used. He sired a number of illigitimate children, and was very hostile to handing over any money for their support. After learning some of these things, I understood his poems better. For example, the one which begins "Bright Star! Would I were steadfast as Thou Art." George Gordon was not steadfast; he was the Bill Clinton of his day.

Interesting. I've not heard that before.

There definitely are people interested in corsetry on men, I just am not one of them. Dzheng lately have embraced FemFashion with some of his latest releases and its not my particular fetish. That said if it actually fit and didn't distort it would be a heck of a lot more useful. But a stretched-out, badly morphed corset just looks bad on everyone.

edited November 2021

Of corset does. wink Just a gag (similar to a corset).

Post edited by inquire on

Honestly, I wish I'd been able to talk DZheng (or anyone else) into trying to make those suit-vest-corsets that someone picked up on a while back. I kind of liked the concept; suit vest in front, corset laced in back. An unusually secret corset, so to speak. Apart from the corset structure, it wasn't particularly femme at all.

DZheng has been doing a bunch of seasonal horror riffs lately. Interesting, but not at all my taste; I have no ardent desire to have Freddie, Pennywise, or some weirdos from Squid Game in my runtime, thanks.

Separately, I just remembered that I have Color Galeria's Siesta outfit, so I can try that to see if that robe is rigged properly. Also, I picked up the optitex robes on sale, and tried rigging them with Transfer Utility, and it absolutely did not work. Studio basically took one look and crashed to disk immediately. It almost works to just add dForce and sim that way, except that the arm positions of M4/Genesis and Genesis 8 are so different that the rest of the robe sims beautifully ... and the bottom of the arms of the robes drape across the top of the arms of G8M. Ah, well.

edited November 2021

I was a child in the 80's. So there was a lot of big hair, Nagel art, and outfits with poet's sleeves and tightly laced backs such as Heart used to wear. Also big hair, David Bowie as the goblin king, D&D and hair bands like Jon Bonjovi etc.

I like the idea of a corset vest or jacket. I think I had some with tight laces in the back. Those would look nice. 

I tend to render fit muscular kind of men, and often they can look rather moobish with the clingy corset-wear such as Dzheng makes. I won't LIE... I own a few pieces but they have been relegated to the back of the guy's closes simply because they aren't really flattering on the poor dears.

In Owen's case, he is mostly a boxer brief kind of guy. In Boyds case, his idea of sexy is not wearing anything.

I have the siesta outfit too. I noticed it was on bogo today and it reminds me I haven't used it for anything yet. 

On the subject of rendo, I did buy P7Art5's latest male poses. I really like the fluidity this PA puts in his work, plus normal male poses for Genesis 8.1 male are hard to find. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Serene Night said:

Interesting. I've not heard that before.

There definitely are people interested in corsetry on men, I just am not one of them. Dzheng lately have embraced FemFashion with some of his latest releases and its not my particular fetish. That said if it actually fit and didn't distort it would be a heck of a lot more useful. But a stretched-out, badly morphed corset just looks bad on everyone.

LOL, then you probably don't like professional team sports or the fashions they wear to play in those games. I'll never forget the 1st time I saw an American football uniform and was told I have to wear all of it. You need a Volkswagen just to haul the uniform back & forth between home & the field. laugh

laughYeah, I admit about the only sport I watch is basketball. I like the Brooklyn nets, which is why Owen is  from Brooklyn. 

We cancelled cable this year though so now I don't watch much.

edited November 2021

So, the 2.99 sale is busy robbing my wallet of its change. But that's okay. Because it's all 2.99

This is lovely, it is the Lilac Chill Out. Just 2.99! 

Lilac.jpg
    1800 x 1400 - 2M
    edited November 2021

On the subject of Men's new releases, or at least releases for Genesis 8 male that I appear to not have done, the HF Scratch it! Poses are interesting.

These are poses specifically designed for a' cat-like' male superhero. Too bad, there isn't a really good male cat costume. The one I have sort of looks like a badger. 

But you can lengthen Genesis 8's fingernails with a morph, and perhaps raid Vicky's closet for some sort of Cat ears that make him look less like a badger.

scratchr.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M