DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Release Candidate] - version 4.7.0.11! [UPDATED]

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

They don't share the list of content folders, but they do share the CMS database, so even if a content folder is only added to one, if you install with DIM they'll both have the item listed in the database. Depending on the item, it may work even though the content folder isn't mapped, for example poses don't need to reference anything else. If you go to Content Directory Manager (or look in Content Library under DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats), the folder doesn't appear, I assume?

The last folder that I added only in the public version is visible only in the public version and not in the beta, correct, althought the content is
    If it matters I didn't use DIM to install the content, I installed it manually. But my question is, if this folder works, why didn't ALL my folders work? I shouldn't have had to add any folders at all to the beta and the beta should still have seen all the public version's folders from the start, right?.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

They don't share the list of content folders, but they do share the CMS database, so even if a content folder is only added to one, if you install with DIM they'll both have the item listed in the database. Depending on the item, it may work even though the content folder isn't mapped, for example poses don't need to reference anything else. If you go to Content Directory Manager (or look in Content Library under DAZ Studio Formats or Poser Formats), the folder doesn't appear, I assume?

The last folder that I added only in the public version is visible only in the public version and not in the beta, correct, althought the content is
    If it matters I didn't use DIM to install the content, I installed it manually. But my question is, if this folder works, why didn't ALL my folders work? I shouldn't have had to add any folders at all to the beta and the beta should still have seen all the public version's folders from the start, right?.

When you say the content is visible, where is it visible? Did you import metadata?

edited December 1969

The content is visible in the content library.

I'm not sure if I imported data into the beta or not. I should not have done so, since that makes no sense, since the beta is just looking at the production database anyway. However It is always possible that I did it accidentally out of habit while reading through my instructions.

edited December 1969

I'm not sure if I imported data into the beta or not. I should not have done so, since that makes no sense, since the beta is just looking at the production database anyway. However It is always possible that I did it accidentally out of habit while reading through my instructions.

Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats/Poser Formats, or Content Library > Products/Categories?

The general release and Public Beta use the same CMS database, so if you import metadata in one it will also show up in the other, even if the content folder isn't mapped. So the Smart Content, Products, and Categories are shared, even if the content folders aren't mapped.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    edited November 2014

Since everyone has been helpful, I haven't been able to show hidden properties (elf ear morphs in a hair prop) in the Beta... any ideas? Never mind... found it!

Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2014

Sleek refreshed UI look, Viewport so much more roomy in city limits :)

Not sure I like the dulled down morph/posing/translation etc dials... Cant change the colour of the 'overlay' independently either, making it near unadjustable, and changing the "Background Color" in interface style is whats controlling it along with a huge area of the UI. It kind of makes colour 2 on sliders pointless, and even harder to see imo. While I really like the less intrusive UI compared to 4.6, the Text I am concerned is too small (or too fine) as mentioned earlier, and contrast is difficult when you cant change the text elements colours independently from the rest of the UI colour scheme (The later was also an issue in 4.6).

Really liking the improved cameras, has so much more control, and independent dimensions to the render settings, also love the new environment tab! And thank you sooooo much for IPR! :cheese:

SlidersBKGColorModified.jpg
    318 x 293 - 88K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Content Library > DAZ Studio Formats/Poser Formats, or Content Library > Products/Categories?

The general release and Public Beta use the same CMS database, so if you import metadata in one it will also show up in the other, even if the content folder isn't mapped. So the Smart Content, Products, and Categories are shared, even if the content folders aren't mapped.
    In the beta, content thumbnails are visible in the Content Library under Products and Categories.
    In the beta Content Directory Manager, the DAZ Studio Formats / Poser Formats for the NEWEST content are not visible because I did not need to add them, they work anyway (and that newest product I installed manually and did not do any metadata export/import between the public and the beta). however the OLDER content's paths are visible because I DID have to add them because it did not work completely until I did that (before I added those paths to the beta, content was visible, but loaded with errors. After I added those paths to the beta, the content started working.)

My point of confusion is wondering why it was necessary to add content paths to the beta at all, since just like the newest product for which I did not add them, I would have thought all my older products would also have worked without having to add those either.

• WhiteFoxWhiteFox Posts: 92
    edited December 1969

I'm a real noob at all this, so please forgive my ignorance but could someone tell me how to get to the IPR tab? (If it is a tab that is)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

I'm a real noob at all this, so please forgive my ignorance but could someone tell me how to get to the IPR tab? (If it is a tab that is)

Open the Aux Viewport pane. To get the IPR controls make sure that the IPR toolbar is on in the pane's option menu - the lined button in the top corner.

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Area Lights...

I noticed that Shader Mixer area lights now have "trace" as a third sampling option, however I can't get it to stick, it keeps reverting to 'illuminance" even if it's locked.
    Does this mean that Multiple Importance Sampling is going to be available? (...or "soon")

Also, if I preview UberAreaLights with IPR then do a full render I get an error message that their temp file is unavailable ...or something like that, I can post the error code later. They render properly in IPR but don't show up in the full render, if I restart and don't do an IPR preview they render correctly in the full render.

edited December 1969

Thank you Richard ;-)

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited November 2014

Here's one using Amazing Skins and Shana's Soulmate layered tattoo's on a Lilith texture base. This one hasn't been through postwork yet.

Mini_Cthulhu_Pet_Me.png
    847 x 922 - 1M
    Post edited by Madbat on
  • HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Area Lights...

I noticed that Shader Mixer area lights now have "trace" as a third sampling option, however I can't get it to stick, it keeps reverting to 'illuminance" even if it's locked.
    Does this mean that Multiple Importance Sampling is going to be available? (...or "soon")

Also, if I preview UberAreaLights with IPR then do a full render I get an error message that their temp file is unavailable ...or something like that, I can post the error code later. They render properly in IPR but don't show up in the full render, if I restart and don't do an IPR preview they render correctly in the full render.

ok, about 30 seconds after posting this I realized the should-have-been-obvious-if-I-knew-what-I-was-doing reason why trace wasn't sticking...Looks great, I'm guessing this is going to be part of something that's been hinted at :P

This is the error message after trying to render an area light that's been previewed with IPR:

"3Delight message #43 (Severity 0): P1058: light source with handle 'arealight_401' was already declared (the original light remains active but is no longer accessible)"

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

5) Interactive Progressive Rendering (IPR)

9) Truly Transparent Backgrounds - When no backdrop or background color is used (optional in the Environment Pane) transparency is shown as a checkerboard pattern, similar to other graphics applications. Also, the issue where anti-aliasing against the background color of a viewport generated a ‘halo’ of that background color has been fixed.

13) Extended Texture Format Support - Added support for using .EXR, .HDR, .PSD, and various others directly as textures.

15) Render Engine Update - Updated the 3Delight render engine to 11.0.105

t3waa0yk20q1lpj2qxmh.png
    636 x 632 - 94K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...tempted, but as usual, will wait for the stable release.

edited December 1969

In the beta, content thumbnails are visible in the Content Library under Products and Categories.
    In the beta Content Directory Manager, the DAZ Studio Formats / Poser Formats for the NEWEST content are not visible because I did not need to add them, they work anyway (and that newest product I installed manually and did not do any metadata export/import between the public and the beta). however the OLDER content's paths are visible because I DID have to add them because it did not work completely until I did that (before I added those paths to the beta, content was visible, but loaded with errors. After I added those paths to the beta, the content started working.)

My point of confusion is wondering why it was necessary to add content paths to the beta at all, since just like the newest product for which I did not add them, I would have thought all my older products would also have worked without having to add those either.

Let's go through this step by step.
    1) In the general release, you add a new content folder.
    2) You manually install content to that content folder.
    3) In the general release, that content shows up under "DAZ Studio Formats" and/or "Poser Formats". It won't show up under Products or Categories,
    4) You either re-import metadata or scan for content to get the new content to show up in Categories.
    5) Now you switch to the beta. The content doesn't show up under "DAZ Studio Formats" or "Poser Formats", because you haven't added that content folder to the beta. However, it does show up under Categories and/or Products, because there's only one CMS database used by both general release and beta.
    6) As for whether they work -- if they don't need to reference anything else (for example, poses), they should work fine. If they do, I don't think they'll work.

So what is the new content, and is it in Poser format or DS format?

edited December 1969

...hopefully they fixed the "disappearing cursor" Still having that happen in 4.6.3.53

edited December 1969

Let's go through this step by step.
    1) In the general release, you add a new content folder.
    2) You manually install content to that content folder.
    3) In the general release, that content shows up under "DAZ Studio Formats" and/or "Poser Formats". It won't show up under Products or Categories,
    4) You either re-import metadata or scan for content to get the new content to show up in Categories.
    5) Now you switch to the beta. The content doesn't show up under "DAZ Studio Formats" or "Poser Formats", because you haven't added that content folder to the beta. However, it does show up under Categories and/or Products, because there's only one CMS database used by both general release and beta.
    6) As for whether they work -- if they don't need to reference anything else (for example, poses), they should work fine. If they do, I don't think they'll work.

So what is the new content, and is it in Poser format or DS format?

What do you mean by point 6)? Sorry, I didn't quite follow that. Scenes with poses won't work in the beta (without paths mapped), or something else? (and, depending on your answer to this... maybe that means I should just always transfer my public path list over to the beta anyway, even though some things work without doing that, because (if I read this right) maybe other things won't otherwise?)

I don't have a fresh installation to try this on, however I did go into the beta's Content Directory Manager and removed all content paths. I did a "Scan Known Directories for files". I retried double-clicking on the content thumbnail I had trouble with earlier (a custom duf file that is V3 with morphs and a texture applied, which loads as boxes), and the problem does indeed return when the beta has no content mapped (see screenshot of error messages). Double-checked that same content works fine in the public version.

(In answer to your question, the new content was Madelia Hair, which was poser format; however I think that bit of info turns out to be irrelevant, turns out it works fine whether or not the beta has any content paths specified.)

screenshot,_error_messages_seen_in_beta_with_no_content_folders_specified.png
    527 x 1007 - 73K
    edited December 1969

IPR is trully impresive!

It lets me see the result of the changes I`m doing in my lighting and shaders almost in real time (similar to luxrender if you're familiar with it). It's so good I never dreamed about it. One of my favorite features ever.

Sorry if I sound overexcited, but so far it`s saving me so much time. Love it!!

edited November 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...hopefully they fixed the "disappearing cursor" Still having that happen in 4.6.3.53

Actually, no. They didn`t. -.-
    Post edited by Soto on
    edited December 1969

...wonderful. this has plagued us since ver. 2.0. It's really frustrating when it happens while working on a big scene as it takes long to both save and reload it again.

edited December 1969

This is new too me. It happened once after I switched to a Mac. But it is annoying.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

"Added Render Settings options to the Backdrop dialog; Use current, Use Image Aspect, Use Image Dimensions"

Yes!!! Thank you.

• RainbowArtistRainbowArtist Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid, Hellboy;

I have also had a few occurances of the “disappearing cursor” glitch with earlier verisons of DS, altho not lately. Not sure why, but I suspect it might have something to do with the mouse driver settings. I have both wired and wireless trackballs on my system and sometimes they act up for no apparent reason. You might try updating your mouse driver to see if that helps.

edited December 1969

Thanks Rainboartist!! i had tha only twice ever. But I`ll kep it in mind if it keeps happening. :D

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

I've been told the disappearing mouse is a Quicktime issue. As a Mac user, it'd affect me (and does) for sure.
    I don't know if they're using any Quicktime in the Windows side.

edited December 1969

I'm really diggin this new feature :-)

New_in_4.7_.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 160K
    edited December 1969

Can anyone direct me to where I can submit a bug report? I can't see all the parameters for Luxus on the UI in the render tab, it doesn't scroll down.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

What do you mean by point 6)? Sorry, I didn't quite follow that. Scenes with poses won't work in the beta (without paths mapped), or something else? (and, depending on your answer to this... maybe that means I should just always transfer my public path list over to the beta anyway, even though some things work without doing that, because (if I read this right) maybe other things won't otherwise?)

A pose preset is self-contained - it doesn't refer to additional files. But a mterials preset does (textures and uv sets), as does a scene or anything that loads an item and if the referred-to items are in the unmapped directory with the file you are loading DS won't find them.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,861
    edited December 1969

Great job guys! Love this new version : )