Help With Archery Reference

MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
edited October 2021 in The Commons

I'm looking for a specific reference to use for an artwork piece. No poses exist that are even close (that I can find)...I always like to use a pose to start with and then tweak as needed, however in this case I'm coming up blank. A photo reference would help me build from scratch. 

Anyways, the piece is of a hunter who is crouching down, tracking something. So they wouldn't be drawing the bow...the bow would be at rest in the hunter's free hand. So they're crouching down on one knee, one hand outstretched inspecting the sign on the ground and the other holding the bow. I can't even find a reference on google to help...though I'd imagine it must be a common thing for a bow hunter to kneel down while tracking an animal. 

So crouching like this...but holding a bow in the free hand - 

Or would it be more realistic for the bow to away, I'm assuming strapped to the hunter's back? I would imagine they'd want to have it free and ready to react quickly so that's why I figured they'd be holding it. Any help is appreciated!

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Comments

• One of the biggest problems bow hunting is getting the string wet. In deeply sub zero temps that's not going to be a problem, so the bow could well be strung. Where it would be, is another thing. If the hunter believes the tracks to be less than 5 mins old (so needing the bow imminently) the it'd be out, otherwise probably wrapped against damage on his back.
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
    edited October 2021

richardandtracy said:

One of the biggest problems bow hunting is getting the string wet. In deeply sub zero temps that's not going to be a problem, so the bow could well be strung. Where it would be, is another thing. If the hunter believes the tracks to be less than 5 mins old (so needing the bow imminently) the it'd be out, otherwise probably wrapped against damage on his back.

In the case of my piece, the hunter wouldn't be tracking food, but more likely a humanoid enemy. It's fanart for Guild Wars 2, and the character is a Norn (and they do live in a snowy environment). They're basically Vikings who worship animal spirits instead of gods. They're default racial enemy is the corrupted minions of the Ice Dragon. 

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 872
    edited October 2021

Bow and an arror or a two in the same hand. This is done by people who hunt with their bows if they are carrying the weapon at the ready. The arrow can be already placed for shooting or it can be held parallel with the bow. A trained archer can turn the arrow with their index and then draw.

No time is lost for reaching to the quiver.

I'm still puzzled how few functional quiver models are out there for Daz and Poser. I had to scavenge sort-of-Manchu-styled quivers from Bannerlord. Bow models fare only slightly better.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • StoicStoic Posts: 131
    edited October 2021

In the image below, some of these poses for the non-bow hand use a fist resting their knuckles on the ground, one has the hand touching the ground with fingertips only.

https://imgur.com/a/txz1Azy

Post edited by Stoic on
    edited October 2021

Stoic said:

In the image below, some of these poses for the non-bow hand use a fist resting their knuckles on the ground, one has the hand touching the ground with fingertips only.

https://imgur.com/a/txz1Azy

Thanks for this! I like the large image on the right, though I'd just have to reverse everything because my character carries the bow in the other hand (she's a leftie). 

Stoic said:

Reversed

https://imgur.com/a/S6pfvJd

Thank you! I think that's going to be the pose, though she'll end up looking more intense. I should be able to cobble together a few pose presets to get me in the ballpark and then go manually from there. I'm 100% unfamiliar with PowerPose because it's always been too laggy for me to even try...I just use the actual bone sliders by typing in the values a little at a time.