Dforce ‚Shoulder Chains‘? Quick Help would be great!

tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310

I'm thinking of getting these shoulder chains https://www.daz3d.com/shoulder-chains-for-genesis-8-female-s that are in the PCFAD section today, but I'd like to try and dforce them. Would that be even possible without distorting the chain shapes? Any clue much appreciated, especially before today's sale runs out. Thanks!

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    I don't think they actually need dForce. They should work just fine without them.
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,310
    edited October 2021

tsarist said:

I don't think they actually need dForce. They should work just fine without them.

I'd want them to properly lie on the shoulders, you know? There's this very small but visible gap in some of the close up-renders that disturbs me. Also, I'd love the longer parts to be able to swing out with gravity when the figure bends forward, for example. Would you think it could be done? I've only ever dforced cloth before.

Edit: It's most visible in the renders with the black variant. The chains don't really connect with the neck or shoulders, they're floating a tiny little bit above them.

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

I seriousluy doubt they would work with dforce due to the nature of the mesh

FSMCDesigns said:

I seriousluy doubt they would work with dforce due to the nature of the mesh

My fear exactly ... :-( But I still think it must be possible somehow, because over on Rendo, Fabiana now has 'Those Beads', and they appear to be dforced strings of pearls that don't get distorted or anything. Maybe there's a newish trick to this? 

I should probably just buy them and give it a try, they're just 1.99 today ... sheesh ... (I keep saying this throughout the whole of the PC+ sale, like many many others I guess, and now my wallet is silently crying and begging to differ  ... But who listens to things, right ...)

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

dForce is a soft body simulation. A chain requires a rigid body simulation, which Daz does not have. You could export it to Blender, run a rigid body simulation there, and then re-import it back into Daz, either as a morph or an obj.

margrave said:

dForce is a soft body simulation. A chain requires a rigid body simulation, which Daz does not have. You could export it to Blender, run a rigid body simulation there, and then re-import it back into Daz, either as a morph or an obj.

That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't thought of that differentiation. I will give Blender a try with that I think, would just love to have those chains settle properly on the shoulders (of course I bought them already in between posts ... blush). I do wonder how Fabiana did her dforce beads, though, even more now, come to think of it. Maybe there's an invisible soft strand with multiple rigid follow node points? And it's this soft strand that's dforced, and the beads just follow along? But one would have to make dozens of rigid follow nodes then I guess ... LOTS of work.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

I have made chains from links and draped them with dForce. Is a bit tricky. Also depends upon how the mesh was made. I have this product so will take a look later today and see what's possible.

• dtrscbrutaldtrscbrutal Posts: 463
    edited October 2021

I have found when the included corrections are not enough, the Mesh Grabber products work well.

Jewels And Light.jpg
    1400 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by dtrscbrutal on

dtrscbrutal said:

I have found when the included corrections are not enough, the Mesh Grabber products work well.

Yes, that's always an option of course. I'm not very good with MeshGrabber though unfortunately, and what I like about dforce is that things like gravity and pull happen 'naturally', you know? So I can't get them wrong ;-)

RGcincy said:

I have made chains from links and draped them with dForce. Is a bit tricky. Also depends upon how the mesh was made. I have this product so will take a look later today and see what's possible.

That sounds very interesting, both that you've done something similar already and that you might give the shoulder chains a try. Please do post your findings / results if you can!