November, 2014 Freebie Challenge - Memories

Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
edited November 2014 in Freebies

Whether they are good memories or bad, of loved ones lost or events from the past, they help to define who we are today. Those memories are a part of us. Some we like to remember. Others we hope to forget. Some should never be forgotten, under any circumstances.

"The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."
― Lois Lowry, The Giver

This month's theme is memories. What memories would you like to share?

The Rules:
1. A minimum of 10 freebies.
2. A maximum of 3 purchased items. (you may use paid plugins towards your commercial count.)
3. Base figures (All Gen 2, 3, 4 and Genesis1 and 2) don’t count as a purchased item or a freebie and may be used as needed.
4. No postwork. This rule WILL NOT CHANGE SO DON’T ASK! (except for signatures and borders)
5. Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser and Daz are allowed for the contest. Items given free with these Apps will not count towards the freebie count as they will not be available for all users, but can be used as non countable items. 3rd party Poser figures need clarification as they can normally only be used within poser and are essentially paid for items as Poser is a paid for app.
6. Morphs will count toward a purchased item if paid for. If a freebie, you must have a working link to it for it to be counted.
7. For an item to be considered free it must be offered as a freebie for the whole of the month. The exception to this rule is all Daz weekly freebies will be allowed throughout the entire month in which they are free. All permanent Daz freebies will be allowed at any time.
8. All links to freebies must work, and all freebies must be clearly and completely seen, not obstructed or hidden in any way from clear total viewing, no water reflections, or reflections that bend the freebie or distort it from it’s original form allowed without the freebie being seen above or outside the reflection itself as a stand alone, the freebie must be seen without having to enlarge the render to see it in any way, no items put against something the same color or texture making it blend into the other item. You may not link to items that specifically ask you not to link to them.
9. This is a family challenge for all ages, so there will be NO NUDIY OR
SEXUALLY EXPLICIT OR EXTREMELY VIOLENT SITUATIONS ALLOWED WHATSOEVER.
10. All the rules above will be enforced. If you do not understand any of them, please pm me or ask in the current challenge thread.DO NOT ASK FOR SPECIAL FAVORS AS THIS CONTEST MUST BE FAIR FOR ALL. Rich or poor, new computers or old, all will be treated equally. Newbies will be given as much help as we can offer.
11. You may enter as many renders as you like each month, as long as they qualify.
12. You may post any renders you like without freebies or paid fors, these will be called NAEs, so please list them as such. They will not be considered entries.
13. Having fun is a must. Play hard, but please do not hurt anyone. The Daz team and/or MOD has the right to edit or remove any inappropriate comments they wish to. This will not change.
14. If you are going to be a judge, you must come into the challenge throughout the month, at least once every day or two. You can not just disappear. If you can not be here, do not ask to be a judge. You must also make comments on the entries as to give help to any newbies. You will be required to choose three winners and two honorable mentions for the month you judge, and submit them to the host of that month when the contest ends. All judges chosen are allowed to enter the contest, but they may not vote for themselves.
15. Mini contests, within the main contest, are allowed at any time the host chooses. Prizes for them will be given seperately from the main challenge. A mini contest can ONLY be done by the host of the month at the time.
16. You may use as many freebies from “community” sites. These are sites that feature free items from various authors, like Sharecg.com or Renderosity.com. You may NOT repeat a link to a third party site “exactly” once used in the entry, You can, however, use the same third party site link as long as it goes to a different page. Most-digital-creations.com is an example of this.
17. You may edit your entry a maximum of three times. This will include adding or removing of items, change of color or texture, lighting issues, poses, poke throughs. You MUST re-enter the render leaving the original also posted. You also must state what you edited and tell the post that you have re-entered the render for updateing. YOU MAY NOT COMPLETELY REPLACE YOUR ENTRY WITH ANOTHER ONE OF A DIFFERENT TYPE. It must retain the original scene setting and characters. You may CHANGE a characters appearance, but not the overall character. It must stay. You may add or take away what else you like or don’t like, just remember….it’s your entry. Any freebies added, must be added to the links and must be working for folks to get. No postwork of the entry will be allowed except for a border and/or signature.
We will start at 1ST of the month - 00.01 DAZ time, and end 30 or 31 of each month - 23.59 Daz time.

There will be three judges chosen by the host of the month and donations will be accepted by any who offer them as long as they do not violate the Daz TOS.
Those are the rules. If you have any questions about a certain one, please pm the host or music2u4u for help.
Good luck to all and thanks for playing nice.

To all who may be interested in seeing what we do with this challenge, here is a link to the main gallery. It houses all the submissions for each month. This will give you an idea of what to enter. The theme changes each month along with a new host. Come see this, you won’t be disappointed.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/FreebieChallenge/

The prizes for this year are as follows:

1st place will receive a $15.00 credit to the Daz store.
2nd place will receive a $12.00 credit to the Daz store.
3rd place will receive an $8.00 credit to the Daz store.

Judges:

1. music2u4u

If anyone would like to help Judge or donate prizes please post a message or PM me with the details.

Good luck everyone.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited November 2014

I can help judge...watch...

**Bangs gavel real hard**...GUILTY!

see!

........" Now I know I put that Gavel somewhere....wonder where it could be?......

:-)

GavelGuyDaz.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 273K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I can help judge...watch...

**Bangs gavel real hard**...GUILTY!

see!

........" Now I know I put that Gavel somewhere....wonder where it could be?......

Thank you music for volunteering to be a judge.

As for your gavel...I'm sure you will find it eventually. :lol:

• edited December 1969

Starting up the Great Gavel War again, are you, Music? *throws some pants at the 'judge'!* Try your back pocket! That's one memory I could have done without! LOL Now where did I put those eyeball scrubbers...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

need some brain bleach

cannot_be_unseen.jpg
    275 x 183 - 8K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    need some brain bleach

So true! My eyes! Agggghhhhhh! I have a good memory for visual things, too. Drat. :shut:

Dana

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969
  • OcelianeOceliane Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

I think I'll finally join the contest this month. Just 2 questions regarding the rules:

- Can I create items, and if I may, do they count as "paid" item? For example, if I create a Juge's Gavel (No idea at all why I chose this example), do I have to mention it is a private creation?
    - You say "no postwork". Can I create a render, postwork it, and use it as a texture? For example, I render a family picture, postwork it to may it look like an old photography, and use it as texture for a scene depicting an old man looking at an old photography.

• nitehawk_ltdnitehawk_ltd Posts: 387
    edited November 2014

Oceliane said:
    I think I'll finally join the contest this month. Just 2 questions regarding the rules:

- Can I create items, and if I may, do they count as "paid" item? For example, if I create a Juge's Gavel (No idea at all why I chose this example), do I have to mention it is a private creation?
    - You say "no postwork". Can I create a render, postwork it, and use it as a texture? For example, I render a family picture, postwork it to may it look like an old photography, and use it as texture for a scene depicting an old man looking at an old photography.

If you make a prop item, and it cannot be downloaded anywhere, it must be listed as 'no count'.

Yes to your question. You can create any texture, anyway you want, put it on a prop or plane primitive and then render the final image.
    You can render the background first and use it as a texture in your final render.
    As per the rules, you must post the output image of your render engine without changes.

The only allowed changes are:
    Reduce the size of the file, to save bandwidth.
    Adding your copyright bug & signature. - Try putting it on a prop or plane primitive 'in' your image.
    Changing the height/with size of the render, though it's better to do so with the render engine.

Any other changes are not permitted unless stated by the contest sponsor. Please re-read the rules.

And yes, I have been slapped with a pie for not flowing the rules. :)

Post edited by nitehawk_ltd on
    edited November 2014

Oceliane said:

That usage of a render is called pre-work, not post work and is allowed, no problems. When we say no postwork, this is as regards the final image.

When it comes down to making something yourself, if you then put it up on a site like shareCG to share with others it can become a freebie. You can actually download Music's Judges gavel from ShareCG I believe. This is one way some of us get started in creating and sharing our own stuff. I have some stuff on ShareCG, although now most is on my own space. VVV

As an ETO I say Welcome to the Freebie challenge, I hope you enjoy yourself, and we look forward to seeing what you come up with. :coolsmile:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Welcome Oceliane to the Freebie Challenge. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you nitehawk_ltd. and chohole for answering Oceliane's question.

edited December 1969

Correct. If you can post a link to the item for all to get, and it's free, then you can claim and count it as one of your freebies. If it cost to buy it, it can count as one of your paid fors.

And yes, my judges gavel can be gotten here for free:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/25283/browse/11/Poser/Judges-Gavel

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2014

Oceliane said:
    I think I'll finally join the contest this month.

Everyone else has already answered your questions, so all I have left to say is "Welcome to the Challenge!"

It's a good time to join - November is usually quiet, what with "Music and Monsters" the month before and "Winter Wonderland" the month after.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited November 2014

robkelk said:
    Oceliane said:

Everyone else has already answered your questions, so all I have left to say is "Welcome to the Challenge!"

It's a good time to join - November is usually quiet, what with "Music and Monsters" the month before and "Winter Wonderland" the month after.

A good time to gorge yourself on turkey and dressing!...erm...pass the cranberry sauce!

**throws a pumpkin pie at Rob then runs and hides under the bed.**

Huge_turkey.jpg
    516 x 595 - 72K
    edited November 2014

Memories......

SPLAT!

pie-in-face-2.png
    450 x 296 - 256K
    TheWayWeWere.jpg
    480 x 360 - 14K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Memories......

SPLAT!

Laughter is the best medicine.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    robkelk said:
    Oceliane said:

A good time to gorge yourself on turkey and dressing!...erm...pass the cranberry sauce!

That's not a turkey...that's an ostrich! :bug: (photoshopped, no doubt)

Dana

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    music2u4u said:
    robkelk said:
    Oceliane said:

That's not a turkey...that's an ostrich! :bug: (photoshopped, no doubt)

Dana

Yeah - I'm not that hungry!

edited November 2014

N.A.E.

The Judge's Lounge has plenty of room. Would anyone care to join us?

Judges_Lounge.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Excuse me, but I have a question...or maybe it's more along the lines of a rules clarification. It has to do with that dreaded topic...postwork! Okay, I know that the rules say NO! (except for signatures and borders) but here's my question: can I take an image of a Polaroid frame and put my render into it to make it look like an old style Polaroid photo? Mind you, I have no idea if this will actually work or not, but I though I'd ask before doing it and have it all be for naught. If not, the render would work just as well on it's own...but wouldn't be half as funny. Thoughts or rulings?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

If you then apply that fake Polaroid to a plane, hand it to Vicki and do a render of the plane with her thumb strategically covering the most awkward part of the picture, that would work, I think? It's one way to do it, anyway.

edited December 1969

I thought the only postwork allowed was a signature and/or a frame around the render image, which would mean that's OK. I'll wait to see what Music says.

Dana

edited November 2014

Excuse me, but I have a question...or maybe it's more along the lines of a rules clarification. It has to do with that dreaded topic...postwork! Okay, I know that the rules say NO! (except for signatures and borders) but here's my question: can I take an image of a Polaroid frame and put my render into it to make it look like an old style Polaroid photo? Mind you, I have no idea if this will actually work or not, but I though I'd ask before doing it and have it all be for naught. If not, the render would work just as well on it's own...but wouldn't be half as funny. Thoughts or rulings?

I think I know what you are trying to do and I personally do not have a problem with it but, to be honest, I do not know for sure if it violates the postwork rule.

I am inclined to view it as a form of border but I agree with Dana about waiting for a ruling from music.

• Charles WestCharles West Posts: 123
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    need some brain bleach

At least it wasn't the lost cat picture.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

I think I know what you are trying to do and I personally do not have a problem with it but, to be honest, I do not know for sure if it violates the postwork rule.

I am inclined to view it as a form of border but I agree with Dana about waiting for a ruling from music.

Kismet, given that you're hosting this month's contest, you get to make the rulings.

edited December 1969

Kismet, given that you're hosting this month's contest, you get to make the rulings.

This is true!

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

This is true!

Dana

Well then...I am about to make an Executive Decision and say I will accept the Polaroid frame as a border of your image LG. As long as that is the only postwork you do (except for signature of course).

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

This is true!

Dana

Well then...I am about to make an Executive Decision and say I will accept the Polaroid frame as a border of your image LG. As long as that is the only postwork you do (except for signature of course).

This can be done fairly easily w/o postwork. Create a plane, use your polaroid border as a texture and apply it to the plane with the center area being a transmap. Position this plane in front of the camera so that it frames your scene. Depending on your lighting setup you might need to adjust the ambient to make the frame visible.

Render as normal.

Kendall

edited December 1969

that would only work in Bryce if he has a camera angle close to default (ie square on)

edited December 1969

That would be considered a border. It's acceptable.
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Kismet. And, the border and the signature would be the only postwork. Every other effect was done "in camera".

This can be done fairly easily w/o postwork. Create a plane, use your polaroid border as a texture and apply it to the plane with the center area being a transmap. Position this plane in front of the camera so that it frames your scene. Depending on your lighting setup you might need to adjust the ambient to make the frame visible.Render as normal.
    Kendall

that would only work in Bryce if he has a camera angle close to default (ie square on)

Good points all and I though about doing that, but...the render's already done and I though it would be easier to just slap it in a frame. Still though, interesting challenge.

That would be considered a border. It's acceptable.

And thank you, Music. It's always good to get a wide range of opinions, especially from the professionals in charge. Now, after all this, can I get it to look any good once it's all done! We'll see...